F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aggressive tuning....

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 07:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aggressive tuning....

Have anyone tried to aggressively tuned their f type r...I'm considering to have mine done, looking for a shop that specializes in jaguar
. Any suggestions???

Old 02-17-2018, 09:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by tu2side
Have anyone tried to aggressively tuned their f type r...I'm considering to have mine done, looking for a shop that specializes in jaguar
. Any suggestions???
Read all the threads regarding VAP Tuning (www.VelocityAP.com). V6 up to 450 hp and V8 up to 650 hp.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-17-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Have anyone tried to aggressively tuned their f type r...
Kinda depends on what you mean by aggressive. If you've read all about VAP products and others and those aren't good enough for you, you'll likely have to get something custom done and find a tuner willing to risk blowing your motor to do it.

Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Kinda depends on what you mean by aggressive. If you've read all about VAP products and others and those aren't good enough for you, you'll likely have to get something custom done and find a tuner willing to risk blowing your motor to do it.
Well, hopefully the tuner will know when too much is near...would you know such a tuner/ someone who does custom work?

Old 02-17-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Well, hopefully the tuner will know when too much is near...would you know such a tuner/ someone who does custom work?
If you want your engine to last, go with VAP. "Aggressive" tuning would include a risk of engine damage and most here aren't willing to take that risk.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

450 and 650 are not enough ?

buy another car , simply

Old 02-17-2018, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

That's a pretty big hope! People recommend VAP because they have a proven track record with these cars......there are other choices but I doubt any are making much (if any) more power without taking dangerous shortcuts......the real questions are;

- how much power are you looking for?
- how much do you want to spend?
- what's the rationale for going with something "lesser-known"?
- what's your risk tolerance? How big of a deal is it to you (or your bank account) if you blow your motor and have to replace it out of pocket?

cheers,
Dave

Old 02-17-2018, 02:54 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Have you established your definition of an “aggressive” tune or any goals or requirements? If so I would take those to a tuner you feel comfortable with to see what they say.

In my opinion (for right or wrong and based on personal experience with past high performance cars) the vast majority of tuners are hackers with laptops and software that are trying stuff out with a few exceptions. One of those is Stuart at VAP who has established his knowledge of the F Type and the reliability of his work with countless real life customers on this very board. I think he has pushed it about as far as it can go in terms of tuning. If aggressive to you means tearing the engine apart, making custom components etc am sure there is more that can be done.

Personally - I wouldn’t risk more than a VAP tune but then again I am significantly more risk adverse in my 40’s than I used to be in my 20’s and 30’s.

The following users liked this post:
indietor (02-17-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by ek993
Have you established your definition of an “aggressive” tune or any goals or requirements? If so I would take those to a tuner you feel comfortable with to see what they say.

In my opinion (for right or wrong and based on personal experience with past high performance cars) the vast majority of tuners are hackers with laptops and software that are trying stuff out with a few exceptions. One of those is Stuart at VAP who has established his knowledge of the F Type and the reliability of his work with countless real life customers on this very board. I think he has pushed it about as far as it can go in terms of tuning. If aggressive to you means tearing the engine apart, making custom components etc am sure there is more that can be done.

Personally - I wouldn’t risk more than a VAP tune but then again I am significantly more risk adverse in my 40’s than I used to be in my 20’s and 30’s.
Thanks, appreciate the advice...I wouldn't go as for as tearing parts down, but pushing it close to the limits...in a safe way as possible, I would...I'll look into Vap, most performance shops that I've looked into, have Packages, they'e in it for their business...Hennessey had a HP600 package, now they have a 650 package...the same with other High end shops, that charge 5k/10k per package, and claim no more increase...thanksagain for your input

Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by DPelletier
That's a pretty big hope! People recommend VAP because they have a proven track record with these cars......there are other choices but I doubt any are making much (if any) more power without taking dangerous shortcuts......the real questions are;

- how much power are you looking for?
- how much do you want to spend?
- what's the rationale for going with something "lesser-known"?
- what's your risk tolerance? How big of a deal is it to you (or your bank account) if you blow your motor and have to replace it out of pocket?

cheers,
Dave
great questionnaire list Dave...I sort of live my life on the edge, lol...as long as my future saving are stable, I'm good...just don't want an " avg" jag f type r...I want a beast...thanks again, great questions to ponder!

Old 02-18-2018, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by indietor
450 and 650 are not enough ?

buy another car , simply
😃 you definitely have a point...

indietor (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

One Member went with ported heads and meth in addition to other more typical tune. I think he put his car up for sale, but had it running more power.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:26 AM

😃 you definitely have a point...

Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member

pushing it close to the limits...in a safe way
These two statements don't go together. You're either one or the other...

If you want to have a more powerful F-type than the rest of us, you're going to have to explore uncharted territory. We don't know how strong this motor is because no-one has blown one up yet; so if you want your car to be a "beast" you're going to have to take the risk to find out what it can take. We know a tune + pulley + exhaust is safe because many have done it without issue, however the sample size for people who've gone beyond that is literally one.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

It sounds like you may want the "JVIII" special! I say go for the gusto, the sky is the limit. That way you can provide the rest of us with more weak-point data.

sts-v (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM

im scared to do a simply tune

but probably i do, i know myself i don't think i have more risk than stock with simply ecu tune

Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

great questionnaire list Dave...I sort of live my life on the edge, lol...as long as my future saving are stable, I'm good...just don't want an " avg" jag f type r...I want a beast...thanks again, great questions to ponder!
"beast" isn't a problem, the 605 hp VAP tune qualifies for that IMO. After that you can talk to Stuart about pulleys, downpipes/cats, exhaust etc. and 650 is attainable....If you want to build the most powerful F type around then that's a different goal.....but I'd still talk to VAP.

2 cents,
Dave

ndabunka (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

Beast and daily driver aren't always compatible...

Old 02-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
Beast and daily driver aren't always compatible...
Correction - "Beast mode" & "daily driver" are NEVER compatible as anything that qualifies for a TRUE beastmode (aka 800HP+) would not behave "suitably" on the daily roadways.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:16 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Correction - "Beast mode" & "daily driver" are NEVER compatible as anything that qualifies for a TRUE beastmode (aka 800HP+) would not behave "suitably" on the daily roadways.
My friend has a supercharged Huracan and its ~800hp and its still a decent daily driver and its a beast. I have no idea how they got ~800hp to behave so nicely on the roads.

Quick Reply: Aggressive tuning....