Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Android auto / Apple and a few infotainment questions on 2019+

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Android auto / Apple and a few infotainment questions on 2019+

I'm connected via Bluetooth, but when I get into the connectivity menu trying to set my Android device settings, I see a pop-up that says "connect a compatible device to view settings". I am in Bluetooth mode and connected, playing music. Am I in the wrong settings menu? How do you enable that functionality? I've read some threads where dealer needs to turn it on, and they charge you for it. Not sure if I'm missing something or not.

also, the media center has a musical note and Hollywood clapper board as icon. Does The clapper board suggest that we can watch movies?

this new infotainment is light-years more complex than the prior one, so use this thread to point out any interesting or nifty things please!!

Old 04-09-2019, 04:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I think maybe I had to plug in my iPhone via USB for some of the initial setup - but I could be wrong.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:17 PM
Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Dealer had mentioned that the 2019 model year touch pro infotainment systems need to have the 60gb ssd storage usually bundled with the wifi hotspot capability to qualify for apple carplay and android auto software upgrade, which is manually done by the dealer for $300, called the smartphone pack. Correct me if I’m wrong or anyone else has better information.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member

Looks like older F-Types can do upgrades to newer system, larger screen? I feel like an aggressive supporter of this. I would have done it in a second on my '16.

Also, smartphone pack is being done for free, to "reconnect with customers" per a few forums, like this one: https://www.jaginfo.org/archive/index.php/t-106730.html
It's also standard on IPace 2019+: https://www.jaguarpalmbeach.com/jagu...apple-carplay/
and https://www.autoblog.com/2018/10/23/...-android-auto/

I just chatted with my dealer and they're turning it on complimentary / no fee.

I've got the InControl apps up and running via USB, but yes.... I've spent too much time in too many submenus to believe smartphone pack is on. LOL
I just wasted so much time. =/ But these forums are a life saver.

Is there a way to tell if the smartphone pack is turned on/off? I don't believe so?

Meridian's website says that it support *.MP4 video playback, but it has to be a thumb drive formatted with Fat32.
Testing that now. Not that I *REALLY* need video, but sometimes it's nice to watch a show/movie while wife runs some errands, and I am feeling sedentary and rooted to my vehicle.

Old 04-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member

Moving map download discussion from the 2019MY thread to here... especially as that Fat32 format tool is really important.

It seems like the map updates are via a company called "Here", vs the in control stuff which is Jag software (obviously a 3rd party did that as well). It tells me to use a USB for the map updates, too.
To DL the maps, it's here: https://jaguarshop.here.com/web/WFS/...-ViewDownloads

And it's so antiquated... You need a large thumb drive, but formatted in Fat32, which isn't really a standard anymore, at least not on most Win10+ machines. You have to DL a companion program, which I found here:
Ridgecrop Consultants Ltd

Old 04-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

I loaded up a big thumb drive, formatted Fat32, with Mystery Science Theatre, Archer, James Bond, Star Wars, and a bunch of other stuff.... and video absolutely works.
If the car is moving, at all, it says "content inhibited", and you actually have to turn off the car, turn it back on, and then can get it to start. But pretty fun, especially if you have a movie that works like a podcast/audio book.
I know it's useless, and totally silly, but fun to know.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

I have a 2019.5MY, with initially no WiFi. Also a minimised SSD, only for the satnav and firmware.

Last week I got the firmware update, and we do have the WiFi hotspot now, just in time for the GrandTour my son and I are planning.
Also the 3-column startscreen and a quicker response.

Now it does have OTA updates for the firmware of the satnav, but not for the maps..

One problem with using a thumbdrive for music input is that it looses where it ended, you have to unplug it and put it back,
then it suddenly remembers and continues where you switched the car off last time.. WHY-O-WHY...

Last edited by Dan_NL; 04-10-2019 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
One problem with using a thumbdrive for music input is that it looses where it ended, you have to unplug it and put it back,
then it suddenly remembers and continues where you switched the car off last time.. WHY-O-WHY...
My MY18 remembers where on the USB stick it was. I haven't unplugged mine since last June when I got the car.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

But I have a MY2019.5 with the 10,5" as a standard and the new seats..
And maybe its a cheapo thumbdrive and I should invest in a decent one..

Old 04-10-2019, 07:05 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2019.5MY, with initially no WiFi. Also a minimised SSD, only for the satnav and firmware.

Last week I got the firmware update, and we do have the WiFi hotspot now, just in time for the GrandTour my son and I are planning.
:
So this will work with the MY19 without WiFi too? Did this include Apple CarPlay etc?

Old 04-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

@Pie944.
Depends : you need a simcard slot under the central armrest. Without : no joy...

Old 04-10-2019, 07:20 PM

@Pie944.
Depends : you need a simcard slot under the central armrest. Without : no joy...
got it

Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

@Pie944.
It does have apple carplay and android auto.. .. but I don't know if they install it for free with you.

I complained about the rear cam acting out, no image, no lines after a rain shower, switched on in the carwash etc etc.
Most annoying : would not engage when I had to back out of a 7-foot wide alley [ mirrors had to fold..].

Then they did a full update of all the firmware. I also kept on loosing memory from seats and/or mirrors and/or steering.
Never lost everything at the same time. Seemed a battery issue [ low voltage].

Old 04-16-2019, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member

TL;DR - the "Here" program's live traffic and route guidance has consistently found shorter routes to my destinations vs what Waze or Maps will offer.

Story time:

So, I'm always doing concurrent tests on traffic apps, etc. The old infotainment guidance not only nearly killed me on a long road trip, but would offer up abandoned roads, closed for construction, etc.

In the last couple years, Waze & Google Maps have clamped down on "suggested shortcuts" because smart shortcuts to beat existing traffic were impacting residential city streets. ie Los Gato became a thoroughfare to avoid the plague of Highway 17 traffic to Santa Cruz, and all of a sudden some poor mom that needed to drive 5 minutes to pick up her kids at school was forced to sit in 30 minutes of surface street traffic due to re-routing. I've followed this for some time, because the notion of "routing ethics" is fascinating to me. I'm also at the point were I can consistently beat Waze by about 8-12 minutes, taking routes I know are faster that it refuses to offer as trip suggestions. It's anecdotal, but I am pretty sure it's due to the "route ethics" thing. But like Kramer routing fire trucks through New York, it gives me absolute joy to be able to beat the algorithm.

So all that is leading to this..... the 2019 navigation and traffic in my jaguar actually found shortcuts, and routed me to a meeting destination faster than Waze. I was going to an interview for a new DJ gig, and Waze had me taking the 101N to 280 to King Street to go up 3rd. That had me arriving at my destination at about 3.45pm. The Jaguar routing suggestion had me take a right at 5th, my first left, a left at 3rd.... and it saved me 9 minutes over the Waze route, which basically just dropped me into congestion traffic. This was a simple algorithmic shortcut that is absolutely throttled in waze. I think the Jag routing guidance is a group called "Here", and they are certainly live mapping traffic and offering smart alternatives and shorter routes... THAN EVEN WAZE WILL PROVIDE. That's a revolution. Insane, exciting, and wild. It's happened a few times now, but I'll make sure to track it so it's more data oriented than anecdotal.

Pretty amazed tho.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 04-16-2019 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member

It seems absolutely amazing to me that there is no direct to climate home button anywhere in the infotainment. You actually have to build a home screen and add the climate button, but on my menu ribbon at the bottom of the screen there is nowhere for climate. I guess it's because the majority of climate buttons are physical?

Edit: I have a Bluetooth icon on the menu ribbon strip where the f-type manual shows the climate button in that place. Does anyone know how I replace that?

also, not infotainment, but since it's software-related, it's pretty annoying to have to get into the car and set your preferences every time. M I have to turn off auto start-stop, turn on dynamic, turn on sync for climate. Is there an easy way to do that?

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 05-05-2019 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member

I'm finding the thumb drive of videos way more entertaining than I would have thought. like I said, mystery science theater and Archer, silly stuff while I happily wait for my wife to browse a store or run an errand.

But I guess this thread is honing in on absolute minutiae, because the software in the infotainment will automatically pause the video you are watching when you turn the volume down to a level that would suggest you're not listening. Very handy for when you have to voice to text, like I currently am, or if you had to talk to someone, etc.

Old 05-05-2019, 02:35 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Slightly out of context, but I have had a change of heart regarding my MY 14 F-Type. After getting a MY 19 Benz E type loaded to the gills with all the tech MB offers, I look forward to the F-Type like I never did before. I just plain out love the simplicity. Its like a breath of fresh air. You push the button and it starts. End of story.

The following 2 users liked this post by Suaro:
scm (05-05-2019), Uncle Fishbits (05-06-2019)
Old 05-06-2019, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
I just plain out love the simplicity. Its like a breath of fresh air. You push the button and it starts. End of story.
+1. The VAP exhaust is plenty loud without the valves opened, VAP eliminated the ECO feature in the tune, and I don't need the firmer suspension, faster throttle response or quicker steering response until I'm getting into the twisties. I never mess with the lights, wipers or climate. All set on Auto. Focus on nothing but 3 pedals, a stick and a steering wheel. Car just starts playing my iTunes as soon as I climb in.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (05-06-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

well it does look like I have a glitch. On my infotainment to the right of the media player there is a Bluetooth icon. But it's supposed to be a climate icon, and you can see the seat in this picture I found online.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:52 PM

Had the infotainment upgrade done on MY19, night and day. Nice to have apple car play for Waze alone

Quick Reply: Android auto / Apple and a few infotainment questions on 2019+