F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Old 03-16-2016, 12:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I don't think many F150 buyers cross shop F types.
My other vehicle is a 2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Super Crew 4x4 that I primarily use to tow my race car in an enclosed trailer. A new F-150 Platinum Edition V8 Super Crew 4x4 completely optioned out has an MSRP over $60k. That makes it pretty close to the price of a V6 F-Type Base, no?

Different vehicles for different tasks but closer price wise than you think. No need to be such an elitist.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

The sticker on my son's F-150 was north of $50k - almost a 1/3 of his weekend car.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Other vehicle is an F-250 that my wife uses to haul hay and grain for the beasties. It can also pull your house down the road if needed. Amazing and truly versatile vehicle, unlike my wonderful F-Type which has a very narrow use range.

Orkney

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I don't think many F150 buyers cross shop F types.

My wife's BFYT (Big F'in Yellow Truck)

The following users liked this post:
SoCalJagS (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by sonny2
My other vehicle is a 2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost Super Crew 4x4 that I primarily use to tow my race car in an enclosed trailer. A new F-150 Platinum Edition V8 Super Crew 4x4 completely optioned out has an MSRP over $60k. That makes it pretty close to the price of a V6 F-Type Base, no?

Different vehicles for different tasks but closer price wise than you think. No need to be such an elitist.
The earlier post implied that someone had the choice between one or the other, hence the line about the regret. As someone else noted, different vehicles for different tasks. SoCalJagS is right in that people don't generally CROSS shop the two vehicles. As in, I don't know anyone who was like "Hmmm, should I buy a F-Type or a F-150?! They both start with F!" They are radically different vehicles and while a lot of F-Type owners may have both it's very unlikely that they are used for the same purpose, hence no cross-shopping.

The following 2 users liked this post by LobsterClaws:
SoCalJagS (03-16-2016), sonny2 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-16-2016, 11:53 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts

2013 F150 Raptor Super Crew here, no eco boost for me!. Not being an elitist.

sonny2 (03-16-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
The earlier post implied that someone had the choice between one or the other, hence the line about the regret. As someone else noted, different vehicles for different tasks. SoCalJagS is right in that people don't generally CROSS shop the two vehicles. As in, I don't know anyone who was like "Hmmm, should I buy a F-Type or a F-150?! They both start with F!" They are radically different vehicles and while a lot of F-Type owners may have both it's very unlikely that they are used for the same purpose, hence no cross-shopping.
I assume other people outside of this forum would consider us elitist to some extent just owning a Jag. lol But I have a Wrangler for other tasks, and I sort of did cross shop early in the car buying experience, before I zeroed in on this one and only one... but I was considering selling the Wrangler and getting a functional commute car... then I saw those awful hybrid half car half SUV things that every auto maker is making.

Yeah. No. Way. Ever. I think it also might be elitist choosing to own two cars instead of something practical. LOL

It's like a spork.... trying to function as two things, they fail miserably at both. For the spork, the prongs too short to stab at meat, the spoon to shallow to hold soup. For the hybrids.... ugh. I can't wash them from my eyes.

Now *THAT* is elitist. I must embrace it.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-17-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

Yeah. No. Way. Ever. I think it also might be elitist choosing to own two cars instead of something practical. LOL
How about 4? The F-Type is the dessert spoon.

Uncle Fishbits (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
How about 4? The F-Type is the dessert spoon.
LOLOLOL A truly rare treat.

It reminds me of a fave quote I dumped in this forum some time ago...

"It's possible to live without life's necessities provided you have some of life's finer luxuries". =)

Old 03-20-2016, 11:45 AM

Condo shopping and I pull into one of the parking garages.. guy sweeping the floor of the garage says to me:

"Hey man, that's a really nice car man. I'm gonna get me one of those one day man.. hey..uh.. I also rap. If someone wanted to put your car in a rap video would you do that or do you think you'd pass?"

Old 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 98 Likes on 57 Posts

Stopped at a red light yesterday, guy in a minivan next to me asked "Do you want to take one of these kids in exchange for the Jag?". For what it's worth, the 10 year old was actually more excited to see/hear the car than the dad was. Happy to have given the engine a rev and put on a show when the light turned green.

The following 3 users liked this post by bb_sam:
Mbourne (03-21-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021), Uncle Fishbits (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bb_sam
For what it's worth, the 10 year old was actually more excited to see/hear the car than the dad was. Happy to have given the engine a rev and put on a show when the light turned green.
95% of every reaction is a child, 6 years old to 19 or so. Yesterday, a cut little kid tugging on his dad's shirt sleeve to get his attention. Mine's Green vert with tan top, and I dunno... it must look like a Transformer or Hot Wheel or something. lol I think it's really cute. =)

Old 03-22-2016, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if this is considered "funny" to that guy but it was entertaining and a good laugh.
Mine is just the basic 3.0T but has active exhaust so it's pretty loud when engine starts. Last night at midnight I was getting some fast food snack with a friend, and as we were leaving a car was parked really close to the exhaust pipes. As the engine started it's alarm went off; then while we were waiting for the light a bit down the road I heard some shouting noise. My friend then points to the back saying an angry man was standing next to his car yellow and pointing at us thinking we hit it.
It was really dark out, so I just switched to Dynamic and stepped on it, hoping the fellow understands how it was just the concussion and no harm was done.

I was sort of expecting you guys with V8 would encounter this frequently?

Old 03-22-2016, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my R coupe last Friday and was driving it back from Chicago to Minneapolis. 6 hour drive and I lost track of how many times someone pulled up next to me on the freeway and gave me a thumbs up.

All 3 times when I stopped to refuel or pee I had someone ask about the car but the 3rd time there was a Honda civic with 3 college age girls who had already eyed the car while on the freeway (we both wound up taking the same exit to get gas). One of the girls and her friend were walking back their car and was holding a huge fountain drink and her eyes were glued to the car while she walked...When I fired it back up I couldn't help it and had to rev the engine...the sound of the car startled her so much she dropped her drink and spilled it all over her and her friends shoes...I gave them a little wave as a drove away

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:33 AM

Had a less than funny experience today. I'm on the highway in fairly heavy traffic and I notice an older BMW riding my ***. I switch lanes and he does the same, still riding my ***. Then he starts swerving erratically, all over a couple of lanes. The traffic is too heavy to get away, so I just have to deal with it.

Eventually he passes me and I see why he was driving so erratically. He's practically hanging out the window filming my car...

Old 03-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

I've only had it 2 weeks and already 2 incidents.

As I was walking up to my car, parked along a curb, I saw a young couple giggling as they took selfies in front of my car.

I was at a red light (so no one in front of me). I punched it, moderately firm, and looked behind to see a Mustang 5.0 was mere feet behind me the whole time. I little reckless, but fun. Had I known he was going to try to keep up, I wouldn't have held back a bit. :-)

Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Pardon that I am copying from the vanity plate thread.... I don't have vanity plates, but I do have the 60's legacy plates on both my cars.

So I am grabbing a salad for lunch, and on the way into the cafe, directly adjacent to where my car is parked, an old Nintendo-Luigi stereotype looking Italian guy who basically smells of petrol, and has likely worked on and loved Italian cars his whole life, stops me. He's really old world, but not too thick an accent. He says, almost aggressively, and definitely a little haughty but justified, "Why would you put those black plates on a new car?".

It's the first time someone asked me that, and immediately said that they are the 60's legacy plates, and it's a nod to the fact that the F-Type is a successor to Jaguar's 1960's E-Type. It was quite off the cuff, but he laughed... "See, now *THAT* is the first good reason I've heard", and laughed it off. He then said "gorgeous, most beautiful, of cars".

So I got to thinking.... he's sort of right. I put these legacy plates on my Wrangler, and frankly it's not as appropriate as the Jag. But what I think the guy was getting at was that all these BMW or Lexus with the plates actually don't really make any sense. I hadn't thought of that, as in they are *literally* vanity for the color alone... but black plates on any car don't actually have any real logic.... except for our F-Type.

50 year legacy plates for a 50 year anniversary on a successor of one of the greatest (looking maybe not mechanical) driving cars of all time, from one of the greatest driving eras of all time. I like the logic there. It's not just vanity. =)

I just thought it a really interesting reaction. Also, anyone notice the black plates shine green at night?

Old 04-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mikelanzetta
As I was walking up to my car, parked along a curb, I saw a young couple giggling as they took selfies in front of my car.
Had a similar incident, two attractive young ladies, posing for selfies in front of my car as I was coming down the street. They were both stunning and early 20s, so i hung back and watched the poses as they got more provocative. I couldnt help slip my hand into my pocket, to get my phone (dont let your mind go there!), and used the app to remote start the car. Poor girl fell over in shock as it roared to life, I chuckled away as I walked past and got in!!

The following 5 users liked this post by whiskey29:
LobsterClaws (04-04-2016), Mbourne (04-04-2016), mikelanzetta (04-04-2016), Pauluucho (11-26-2021), Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 04-04-2016, 02:05 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Too funny!

Originally Posted by whiskey29
Had a similar incident, two attractive young ladies, posing for selfies in front of my car as I was coming down the street. They were both stunning and early 20s, so i hung back and watched the poses as they got more provocative. I couldnt help slip my hand into my pocket, to get my phone (dont let your mind go there!), and used the app to remote start the car. Poor girl fell over in shock as it roared to life, I chuckled away as I walked past and got in!!
That's hysterical!

Uncle Fishbits (04-04-2016)
Old 05-15-2016, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Recently took a road trip with a buddy of mine to the glorious roads around Hocking Hills State Park in Ohio. He and his wife were in his C6 Z06. My wife and I in the F-Type.

Car and Driver uses a loop of state routes around the park as a test circuit. Link to a Car and Driver review of the V12 Vanquish on this circuit. Needless to say, we were intrigued...and the trip delivered. Just a fantastic time on great roads, interspersed with hiking and checking out the scenery.

We were a sight to behold, for sure. This is SUV country. Gravel driveways, no cell phone service, etc. We drew endless looks every time we pulled in or out of a recreation area. Kids pointing, adults doing double and triple takes. My dash cam captured a few gems. Here's a still:

Last edited by Nati; 05-15-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had interesting reaction from an old drifter at a gas station. I pull up to fuel and he walks up to me and asks: "Is that one of those V12 Jags? I could hear it coming down the road. Didn't know they still make them".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?