F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any funny bystander reactions to share?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 07:49 PM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Amazing, that's also happened to me multiple times in the back of the Home Depot parking lot.
Hmm I never get that... of course I'm generally in my SUV when I'm there. I really can't think of a good reason for me to go to Home Depot with my F-Type considering the lack of storage space to bring anything substantial home with me after shopping.

On the other hand, I did have a couple contractors come by the house over the weekend to do some work, and I ended up spending a bit of time chatting with them about the car. One said it was the most beautiful car he's ever seen.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TR64ever
On the road I've had people pull up next to me an point a finger to their ear -- I figured out that they want to hear the roar. So I turn on the loud switch and give them a taste.

I've parked in the back of parking lots, its safer and walking is good for you. I took the car to a Home Depot and parked all alone in the back of the lot.

When I was walking back to the car my heart practically stopped: my car was surrounded by contractor's trucks, lots of burly guys milling around, smoking and hanging out. They were all waiting to talk to me (it was the end of the day). They were all car guys, very interested in the car, it took me 30 minutes to finish the 1-car show, answer all the questions and leave.
Ahh, you live close to me - Millburn. Perhaps we should do a Ftype meet as I have seen a couple of other Ftypes near Short Hill Mall

Old 08-31-2015, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlin
Hmm I never get that... of course I'm generally in my SUV when I'm there. I really can't think of a good reason for me to go to Home Depot with my F-Type considering the lack of storage space to bring anything substantial home with me after shopping.
LOL . . . you'd be amazed at how many LED light bulbs and cleaning products you can cram into the trunk of an F-Type convertible. My wife and I moved into a new house we had custom built a year or so ago, and we had to replace all the incandescent bulbs the contractor stuffed into all the sockets to save himself some money.

I'm trying to be as green as possible, you know . . .

Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 AM

LOL . . . you'd be amazed at how many LED light bulbs and cleaning products you can cram into the trunk of an F-Type convertible. My wife and I moved into a new house we had custom built a year or so ago, and we had to replace all the incandescent bulbs the contractor stuffed into all the sockets to save himself some money.

I'm trying to be as green as possible, you know . . .
Hehe.

Well I suppose I could get a bunch of small things. However, most of my light bulbs were replaced CFL's a while back. Other than a couple newer LED bulbs anyway. Then again, the 3-way CFL in my desk lamp did just start acting up.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

So I had my car on display at the Sydney All British Day with the Jaguar a drivers Club, fantastic day with over 1700 British cars from all eras. There were only 2 F types there, mine and a base coupe.

Anyway the F attracted a huge crowd but the funniest thing I saw was two guys on their knees looking up the exhaust pipes engaged in some deep conversation. Wish I had been close enough to hear what it was about

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
So I had my car on display at the Sydney All British Day with the Jaguar a drivers Club, fantastic day with over 1700 British cars from all eras. There were only 2 F types there, mine and a base coupe.

Anyway the F attracted a huge crowd but the funniest thing I saw was two guys on their knees looking up the exhaust pipes engaged in some deep conversation. Wish I had been close enough to hear what it was about
Probably something about how the baffles work lol

Old 09-01-2015, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,583 Likes on 856 Posts

On the other hand, I did have a couple contractors come by the house over the weekend to do some work, and I ended up spending a bit of time chatting with them about the car. One said it was the most beautiful car he's ever seen.
One of their names wouldn't happen to be Enzo would it?

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 563 Likes on 382 Posts

My latest encounter was coming out of the Verizon store today. A guy that looked remarkably like Charles Barkley came out behind me and we were parked in the same area in front of the store. It soon became clear which car I was headed to and he said, "You know I'm hating you about now." There was a twinkle in his eye and I caught his meaning, but he may have worried a bit that I took him literally. He paused in front of the car and follow up with "If they're not hating you, you're not doing it right." We had a good laugh and chatted a few minutes.

The following 2 users liked this post by uncheel:
jetsetter883 (03-20-2021), Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

I was sitting at a light with the top down this afternoon when a nice guy in an older beat up Corolla pulled up next to me. He yelled over to get my attention and with a smile on his face said “excuse me sir, would you like to trade cars”. I politely responded with a smile “no thanks, but nice try”. He laughed and gave me a thumbs up.

The following 2 users liked this post by jmfan:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:42 AM

The wife and I were at a furniture store today and we had the F-Type parked near the door. We had come outside with a salesman to look at the color of something in the sunlight, and were headed back in when the salesman noticed the car and commented on how beautiful it was, not realizing it was my car. Once I informed him that it was mine, he started asking me questions. He also commented that he didn't realize that Jaguar made "cars like that" and that he needs to investigate more.

So who knows, maybe we'll have another F-Type owner soon.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

The wife and I were at a furniture store today and we had the F-Type parked near the door. We had come outside with a salesman to look at the color of something in the sunlight, and were headed back in when the salesman noticed the car and commented on how beautiful it was, not realizing it was my car. Once I informed him that it was mine, he started asking me questions. He also commented that he didn't realize that Jaguar made "cars like that" and that he needs to investigate more.

So who knows, maybe we'll have another F-Type owner soon.
That is, by far, the number #1 comment I've gotten over the last 16 months from friends, co-workers, and and bystanders.

That's precisely why the XE introduction is so crucial for Jaguar. If it sells well in the U.S., that will be the game-changer for JLR. Since pricing will start in the mid $30K range, that will re-introduce the marque to a far larger demographic. It is getting rave reviews for handling, performance, and style everywhere it's been introduced.

I think it will steal significant market share from BMW and MB, as well as some from Acura, Lexus, and Infiniti.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Photo stop.

At this spot. The red on the mountain is vegetation changing colors, a short shrub of some type.

We pulled off the Independence Pass road to enjoy the view and stretch, and then got back into the car to leave. Another car pulled off right in front of us, and a guy jumped out and stood in front of our car with his hands in the air yelling "stop." He then reached into the back seat of his car and pulled out a large camera and started taking photos of our F-Type, at which time we just smiled. He said, "thank you, great car.

We spent the afternoon on Aspen and did not see another F-Type, nor on the drive over and back.

The following 3 users liked this post by mjm3457:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), SupermansQueen (06-20-2021), Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

... He also commented that he didn't realize that Jaguar made "cars like that" and that he needs to investigate more....
I've been asked a few times if it was a "prototype" Of course, I have debadged everything except the leaper...

Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 PM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Great picture! Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Was putting gas in today. Woman and her 10 year old daughter walked out of the gas station minimart. The daughter was looking at the car as she passed. The mom was preocupied. But as soon as the mom got just past the car to the other side of the pump I was on she stopped dead in her tracks. She backed up, told her daughter, who had just gotten in to their car to come back. She looked at me and said "excuse me sir I need to do something". She then pointed at the front nose logo and said to her daughter "what make is that". Her daughter replied "jaguar". Her mom said "right" and looked at me and said "we are a family of car crazies and vehicle recognition is important to us. Thank you for letting me do that". I said "no problem". I proceeded to start the car with that beautiful noise. The mother peered around the pump and said with a huge smile, "I'm sooooo jealous of you right now". I could think of nothing else to say but "thank you".

The following 3 users liked this post by Mbourne:
Pauluucho (11-26-2021), SupermansQueen (06-20-2021), Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:58 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

Park outside an office building the other day which had window washers abseiling down the building washing windows, went inside for 30 mins and came back out and al the windows washers had come down and were standing around the F, took me 15 minutes to answer all their questions and start and rev the car and get away.

Pauluucho (11-26-2021)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

1. Filled up at the gas station and this older guy with a bmw x5 says to me "thats such a nice car....i was gonna buy one but got this instead" and i'm thinking right buddy sure you were, go drive your boring sh*tty beamer.

2. drove past a dude who was driving an old ugly honda and he gives me the finger, not provoked by anything. My thought was that he was either just on the receiving end of a homosexual act or just a jealous d-bag hating his life and his sh*tty car....or both (most likely)

MarkyUK (11-22-2018)
Old 09-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by myironlung
2. drove past a dude who was driving an old ugly honda and he gives me the finger, not provoked by anything. My thought was that he was either just on the receiving end of a homosexual act or just a jealous d-bag hating his life and his sh*tty car....or both (most likely)
If you saw the finger, you were probably eyeballing him, and he probably took that as a diss. While passing, I look straight ahead, unless there is something worth glancing at. I'd also rather not get shot at.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
1. Filled up at the gas station and this older guy with a bmw x5 says to me "thats such a nice car....i was gonna buy one but got this instead" and i'm thinking right buddy sure you were, go drive your boring sh*tty beamer.

Yes indeed.. got a good laugh with your point #2
Lawrence

Old 09-19-2015, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

If you saw the finger, you were probably eyeballing him, and he probably took that as a diss. While passing, I look straight ahead, unless there is something worth glancing at. I'd also rather not get shot at.
Said like a true Baltimore/Washington driver.

Uncle Fishbits (09-26-2015)

Quick Reply: Any funny bystander reactions to share?