F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tall people here? How in the world do you fit in the F Type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 12:01 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

"barely an inch of headroom" lol... I'd love to have a full inch of clearance, even in my F-250

I'm 6'7" and I'm not exactly sitting in a La-Z-Boy, but with the right fiddling I was able to find a seating position that is just fine for me. Because of the way the back of the seat hits the rear... bulkhead? trunk wall? area behind the seat? I don't know the right term here... the seat will refuse to go down further if it's too far back. What I did was move it forward first, then all the way down and all the way upright. then i moved it back as far as it would go. Once there I leaned the seat back as far as that would go. then crept forward until I had just enough leg and knee room, and leaned the seat back more. I wouldn't take a 4 hr road trip in it, but for my car's intended purpose this is perfect. it's a bit more of an upright position than I'm used to, but my head clears by about a quarter inch with the top up, the top of the windshield frame is still in my sight line but slightly above the midpoint so i don't feel like I need to peer under it, and I have enough room to do all the things I need to do, relatively comfortably. FWIW, this was absolutely not possible for me in the corvette. I tried and tried, but no amount of reconfiguring (even with the limiter wire disconnected) would let me drive that car. I liked the F-type more anyway, and that little test confirmed that my initial instincts were correct.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:03 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Some folks have longer legs and shorter torso, some are the opposite. Affects how you fit in the car. Luckily, I have neither.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

indeed. some, like myself, are pretty evenly split.

Old 10-13-2018, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@baldguy.
I deviced the same routine as you ! Now have my seat about 2cm before extreme back position and backrest slightly inclined.. .. Do touch my head for roughly 5 minutes, but then the seat decides
102Kg is quite a lot and saggs about 3cm.. Then I sit OK ...

..oh, I'm 6' 6.6"

Leggs are the problem with me, thats why I didn't buy a used XK8..

Old 10-21-2018, 06:14 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, 6'5" and 'Husky(ish)', no real problems apart from when I have the top down, my Missus thinks I am trying to look over the top..

Not gonna say I have loads of room or anything, but I can manage easily to get comfy..

Old 03-10-2019, 06:37 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Just thought add my $0.02. I'm 76 inches (193 cm) and 205 lbs (14.6 stones for you Brits, and yes I had to look that up) with a '16 S and 6-speed. All the seat controls make it hard for me to imagine anyone could have a problem at this size . I don't have a problem.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by richbytrade
I'm 6'8" and only dream of fitting in an f-type
I'm 6'9" and fit in the F-type really well. With the top down there's so much spare headroom I can even race with a helmet on (even with the broomstick test haha) I can even drive the manual transmission comfortably.

All the reviews I ever saw about the F-type talk about how great it is for tall drivers?

Cars I cannot even think about fitting in:
2014-2019 Corvette
2020+ corvettte
Porsche Boxster
Nissan 370z

Cars I fit in so well I can drive them all the time:
F-Type
Ferrari 360
Ferrari 430

I know it comes down to final proportions, butI guess the F-type was "made for me" haha...

Last edited by arachnyd; 10-18-2020 at 07:00 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 07:39 AM
Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I am 6'3".. No issues.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Received 165 Likes on 77 Posts

Since 2018 the seats are thinner and compared to previous years I have quite a bit more leg and head room. I'm 6'4" and 185 pounds with a 37" inseam and a 35" waist. Yes, it's not just about height and weight but how your body is proportioned. I have my seat all the way back for legroom and set at the maximum height. I have no problems at all. If I want a bit more leg room for longer trips I remove my shoes...

Old 10-19-2020, 09:20 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

You are good 2 go ...I also am 6' 2" with no issues.....I squeezed into my old '60 356A 1600 Super pretty good too!

Could it be your ego? just kiddin'!

Old 10-19-2021, 09:40 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi, well I am 6' 3" tall.... with size 12 feet.... so with top down I step one leg in front of seat right of steering wheel and slide down
carefully pulling the left leg .. folding in and slip onto the seat.... Done..... take a deep breath and start the car.

Now, getting out with top up is easy...

Top up, a slow squeeze one dragging right let under the steering wheel... and then pulling left pants leg slowly into foot wheel.

Big, sigh, and drink of water... and start car.....

NOT a bunch of fun.... now if any taller .... NO entry.... much less overweight + lack of flexibility ....

Jaguar interior Designers' NEED to give us all another 2" of seat slide back space....

thank you

Old 10-19-2021, 11:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adsjag2016*
Hi, well I am 6' 3" tall.... with size 12 feet.... so with top down I step one leg in front of seat right of steering wheel and slide down
carefully pulling the left leg .. folding in and slip onto the seat.... Done..... take a deep breath and start the car.

Now, getting out with top up is easy...

Top up, a slow squeeze one dragging right let under the steering wheel... and then pulling left pants leg slowly into foot wheel.

Big, sigh, and drink of water... and start car.....

NOT a bunch of fun.... now if any taller .... NO entry.... much less overweight + lack of flexibility ....

Jaguar interior Designers' NEED to give us all another 2" of seat slide back space....

thank you
I'm 6'9", size 16 shoes, 262 lbs, and degenerative disc disease and I pop in with so much room I don't even need to have the seat all the way back. I feel like it's a great old mans car, so much easier to get in than corvettes, Ferraris, Porsches...

I'm honestly intrigued how different it is for different people.

I will say the base seats are way way better if you are tall vs sport seats...

The following users liked this post:
Nodnarb (10-25-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:50 PM

Wow, well you are very flexible or have multiple knee joints..... lol . Anyway does anyone know 'IF all F-Types have the same seating dimensions..? per
years of production... or Coupe vrs. Convertible ......?

Old 10-20-2021, 04:33 PM

Wow, well you are very flexible or have multiple knee joints..... lol . Anyway does anyone know 'IF all F-Types have the same seating dimensions..? per
years of production... or Coupe vrs. Convertible ......?
I'm 6'4" and 185 pounds. There is definitely a significant difference between the pre 2018 and 2018 forward sports seats. The older more "full bodied" sports seats have more padding and provide less leg and headroom. After the seats were redesigned, the thinner profile provided a bit more head/leg room. I've sat in both. I can't speak to the standard seat configurations...

Old 10-20-2021, 04:41 PM

Hi, thank you for the information. I am recovering from Hip replacement. and that also limits my range of motion....squeeking into ... the nifty
premium seats... so.. a millimeter here and there is BIG. also I am 75 and a little less flexible then when I had my 73 V-12 Roadster... BIG car. !

Old 10-20-2021, 04:56 PM

I completely understand. Maybe I'll see you sometime next year at a Denver Cars & Coffee...

Old 10-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Received 97 Likes on 54 Posts

Just a reminder, a flat bottom steering wheel gives an extra inch to swing your legs under.

Old 10-20-2021, 07:58 PM

Super..... now to find one....... thank you

Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Super..... now to find one....... thank you
Here ya go: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-T2R4641PVJ
For one with Ignis paddles, heated and phone/cruise same as my existing "plain" wheel.
Not exactly cheap but still the cheapest new OEM one of this type I can find.
I have been watching this item for some four years now hoping and waiting for a "sale" price but to no avail.
There was a sale price about two years ago, I should have jumped on it then, but I stupidly chose to wait for an even better price which of course has never happened and probably never will happen.
A few used ones on Fleabay but most are not heated and/or in fairly rough condition and even then zero bargains.
You can also get a custom wheel from Guardian Designs, see here: https://guardiandesigns.eu
Lots of satisfied customers on this forum but again not cheap and I prefer an OEM wheel.

Old 10-20-2021, 08:53 PM

How much 'open' space can be gained with a flat bottom steering wheel vrs. the round wheel ?

I have looked and cannot find any info.

Quick Reply: Any tall people here? How in the world do you fit in the F Type?