F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any way to disable spoiler on ftype?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did it work without any codes been thrown?

Old 01-12-2017, 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I was at my Jag dealer last year and asked my mechanic about stopping the deployment and he just opened the trunk and got to it from under trunk lid, rather than by having to lift the spoiler and mess with torx screws etc..

Soon as he started I was called over by a sales guy and missed the procedure, however I was back in 5 minutes and he was finished and all closed up... it stays down now.
Lawrence

The following users liked this post:
Jkel72 (01-21-2023)
Old 01-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Someone must know...

Old 01-13-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member

No codes or warnings
Lawrence

Old 01-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I got mine to stay down by making a little toggle harness as seen on the previous page... no lights, error codes, etc. If I ever need to raise it, it takes 30 seconds to flip the toggle on and it works normally again. I haven't found any other way unfortunately.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm just curious to know how the insurance companies in the US or elsewhere will view such a modification to a car affecting its aerodynamic stability? In the UK, there is a clause in the auto policy stating that you must notify them of ANY non-standard mods or alterations to the condition in which a car leaves the factory (they may or may not increase the premium, depending). Without their approval, they may opt not pay out in the case of a claim. Insurance companies, worldwide, don't need much of an excuse to refuse a claim! Just curious.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Cassini
I'm just curious to know how the insurance companies in the US or elsewhere will view such a modification to a car affecting its aerodynamic stability? In the UK, there is a clause in the auto policy stating that you must notify them of ANY non-standard mods or alterations to the condition in which a car leaves the factory (they may or may not increase the premium, depending). Without their approval, they may opt not pay out in the case of a claim. Insurance companies, worldwide, don't need much of an excuse to refuse a claim! Just curious.
Pretty much the same here in the States.

Cassini (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Pretty much the same here in the States.
So, disabling the spoiler (unless sanctioned by one's insurance company - which I doubt they will because it compromises the safety of a powerful road car) 'may' invalidate one's insurance. If so, it seems it's not a wise to thing to do, then.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Well that didn't work!
Went down the local auto parts store and bought a set of Torx security bits.
None of them fitted, it seems the Jag screws are not the normal type. The T27 almost fitted but had no grip at all, just not the right shape.
Had a look at Lance's idea of accessing the plug from the underside - no chance without pulling off all the panels from the underside of the hatch, right up to the roof, not something I am game to have a go at.
Looks like I'm stuck with a normal operating spoiler for now.
Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.
I bought another set of Torx security bits, Fleabay cheapies, they rolled up today, but still no worky.
I then figured out my error - Torx are 6 point, the F-Type spoiler cover screws are 5 point "star".
So I've now ordered a set of these, they should get here in a week or two, then see how I go.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.
I bought another set of Torx security bits, Fleabay cheapies, they rolled up today, but still no worky.
I then figured out my error - Torx are 6 point, the F-Type spoiler cover screws are 5 point "star".
So I've now ordered a set of these, they should get here in a week or two, then see how I go.
Just a note for everyone who has done the same thing... they aren't Torx T27 bits, they are Torx TS27. This is what I bought and used (From Amazon) https://www.amazon.com/Silverhill-Po.../dp/B002P4YCGM

OzXFR (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by Cassini
So, disabling the spoiler (unless sanctioned by one's insurance company - which I doubt they will because it compromises the safety of a powerful road car) 'may' invalidate one's insurance. If so, it seems it's not a wise to thing to do, then.
Very true... but as with most modifications, YMMV. Everyone has to weigh the risk on their own and decide. Same goes for people who tune their cars, etc. Your insurance could claim that a performance tune compromised it's safety as well but anyone going down that road should know that ahead of time and accept any associated risk(s).

The main reason I haven't posted a picture of the actual harness I made is I don't want someone to duplicate and come blaming me if something goes wrong

DPelletier (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Sure ANY modification COULD be used to try to deny coverage of any type be it warranty or insurance. .....wheel spacers, aftermarket rims, etc. etc.

I'd think the insurance company would a) have to even figure out the spoiler was disabled at the time of a crash (highly unlikely) and b) make a logical case for the aerodynamic change being the cause. Since the spoiler doesn't do anything at any remotely legal speeds except look cool, I wouldn't worry about it myself. .....OTOH if you plan on trying to set a Bonneville speed record in your F type you might want to carefully consider the ramifications of disabling the spoiler! ;-)

Disclaimer: the aforementioned verbal ramblings are the opinion of the poster only; disable your spoiler at your own risk. :-)

Dave

Old 01-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

All the car insurance companies I've ever dealt with here in the UK have this as one of the first questions on the application form...
"Is the vehicle a standard production model?"
I think that if they discovered that you had altered the car they would not honour a claim. Just my 2c.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
All the car insurance companies I've ever dealt with here in the UK have this as one of the first questions on the application form...
"Is the vehicle a standard production model?"
I think that if they discovered that you had altered the car they would not honour a claim. Just my 2c.
Maybe in the UK......in the U.S. and Canada, a very large percentage of vehicles (virtually every Jeep and truck) have been "modified" by using some aftermarket parts or accessories and I've never heard of a claim being rejected solely due to a vehicle not being 100% stock/as delivered new.

How far would you go with that? It's a massive grey area; aftermarket oil filter? drain plug gasket? window tint? tires? shocks? ......

Dave

Old 01-18-2017, 12:09 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

You can modify but you have to get the agreement of the insurers. I guess whether they play ball depends upon the mod and them.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by malbec
You can modify but you have to get the agreement of the insurers. I guess whether they play ball depends upon the mod and them.
not trying to be argumentative but (here at least) millions of vehicles are equipped with aftermarket parts or otherwise modified without any notification to anybody without any real issues unless the modification is proven to be unsafe or the cause of a motor vehicle accident.

There is a billion dollar industry built around the automotive aftermarket. The SEMA show in Las Vegas is one of the largest trade shows hosted in that city taking up a million sq. ft.

I worked in the automotive industry for many years and guess what? I sold a ton of aftermarket parts to all kinds of dealerships for warranty repairs......all these parts were "aftermarket" i.e. non-OEM and their use could be considered a "modification" from factory delivered condition. In fact, I'd suggest that the vast majority of vehicles on the road today have at least one aftermarket part or component.

Almost all the local dealers showcase brand new vehicles (mostly 4X4's) with all kinds of aftermarket goodies installed like lifts, larger tires and wheels.

In theory, I'm sure that the insurers have such clauses in their fine print......but in practical terms, it just isn't a big issue.

Dave

CharleyTX (02-24-2023)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

Yes, not an issue here... unless of course you are paranoid
Lawrence

Old 01-18-2017, 03:49 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I agree .....

Originally Posted by DPelletier
not trying to be argumentative but (here at least) millions of vehicles are equipped with aftermarket parts or otherwise modified without any notification to anybody without any real issues unless the modification is proven to be unsafe or the cause of a motor vehicle accident.

There is a billion dollar industry built around the automotive aftermarket. The SEMA show in Las Vegas is one of the largest trade shows hosted in that city taking up a million sq. ft.

I worked in the automotive industry for many years and guess what? I sold a ton of aftermarket parts to all kinds of dealerships for warranty repairs......all these parts were "aftermarket" i.e. non-OEM and their use could be considered a "modification" from factory delivered condition. In fact, I'd suggest that the vast majority of vehicles on the road today have at least one aftermarket part or component.

Almost all the local dealers showcase brand new vehicles (mostly 4X4's) with all kinds of aftermarket goodies installed like lifts, larger tires and wheels.

In theory, I'm sure that the insurers have such clauses in their fine print......but in practical terms, it just isn't a big issue.

Dave

Dave, is correct. I specialized in Auto Accident, Insurance Fraud, Auto Theft and Auto Arson investigations, prior to my retirement. Insurance companies do not jam up a policy holder for doing sound modifications to the vehicle. That has been my experience in the TRI STATE area.

DPelletier (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Dave, is correct. I specialized in Auto Accident, Insurance Fraud, Auto Theft and Auto Arson investigations, prior to my retirement. Insurance companies do not jam up a policy holder for doing sound modifications to the vehicle. That has been my experience in the TRI STATE area.
I'll chime in with general agreement with the last few posters. Over the past several years when taking out a new policy on a car that had already been modified and I acknowledged that modification, the agent would merely advise that a additional cost would apply to the c&c if I wanted coverage for the added cost of the modifications. The question relates to coverage, not additional risk.
If performance mods negated insurance, not a single Harley accident would ever be covered.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-18-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:10 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

would there be a way to change the speed that triggers the spoiler raises and lowers?

i know with bmw and audis it is very easy to code different options. does jaguar have something similar?

Quick Reply: any way to disable spoiler on ftype?