F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to raise spoiler when driving below 70MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Any way to raise spoiler when driving below 70MPH?

I'm taking my car in on Monday to fix all the small things I'm finding and I'm wondering if my spoil is working correctly. In the manual it states that I can raise the spoiler at any time by pressing the spoiler button while driving. Then to hold it down to retract it again. It works when I have the car parked (cleaning mode) but not while moving.

I've tried everything, pressing it, holding it down, etc... and it wont come up unless I hit 70mph. And then it retracts at 50mph.

Whats funny is that the owners manual has a few differences from what the car actually does. In the manual it says the spoiler goes up at 60mph when in reality its 70mph. It also says in the manual about launch control but that doesnt work on my car either, I was told just V6 have that.

The reason I think the spoiler "up" is possible is because there is a ton of youtube videos of guys driving around with the spoiler deployed at low speeds. At 1 minute into this video for instance:

Old 09-16-2015, 08:09 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

The spoiler is only fully functional on European versions. In the U.S. The spoiler on the coupe goes up at 70 and down at 50. It can only be raised via the button when parked (for cleaning purposes). It will retract from a parked position at speeds exceeding 1mph. There has been discussion on the forum about this, but no one seems to know how and if this function can be overridden.

Launch control is only available on the V6 S model. The manual says... not available on all variants.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by MI-FType
The spoiler on the coupe goes up at 70 and down at 50. It can only be raised via the button when parked (for cleaning purposes). It will retract from a parked position at speeds exceeding 1mph.
The above is only true of the coupe. The convertible spoiler can be manually raised and lowered while in motion, but automatically goes up at 60 and down at 40. It cannot be manually lowered below 60, but can be manually raised at any speed below 60.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

interesting, is it confirmed that on European coupes you can manually make it go up/down at will? Seems like there might be a mod possible for US versions?

Old 09-17-2015, 07:17 PM

Very interesting replies here. There must be a mod to be able to control it if the euro versions are able to, even the convertibles. I wonder why Jag decided to make so many variations of this

Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagBrian
Very interesting replies here. There must be a mod to be able to control it if the euro versions are able to, even the convertibles. I wonder why Jag decided to make so many variations of this
I don't know, but if I were to speculate it would be that the convertible spoiler is much thinner, and doesn't interfere with rear-ward visibility (more important at low speeds), which is already better in the convertible. Perhaps they didn't want a coupe owner backing up with the spoiler deployed.

With regard to the owner's manual guidance, which isn't accurate for the coupe, I would guess that it was written at a time when only the convertible was available in 2014, and that section wasn't revised when the coupe came out in '15.

Old 09-18-2015, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Below 70mph I can raise and lower the rear spoiler using the button.

HTH

Old 09-18-2015, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical

HTH
But only when parked, correct? Or can u do it while moving also?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

I'm sure it is just a proxi bit that effects this. 99% chance all cars come with this capability, its just turned on or off in the proxi. Could be easily changed with the right diagnostic program, but sometimes proxi bits affect multiple things on the vehicle and that could cause other issues.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shift
But only when parked, correct? Or can u do it while moving also?
I'm fairly sure F-Typical has the European model which allows the control at all speeds. You and I are stuck with it automatically deploying at 70 and lowering at 50.

I'd like the option to do both, but mainly because I'm considering worst case scenario where police see that it's up and know that I broke 70MPH for a fact

TCM

Old 09-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical

HTH
If so, that's just another curious difference between US and UK/EU versions. I swear car manufacturers must have teams of attorneys these days advising engineers what should function and how in any given country, given the risks of litigation. However, it is interesting that the convertible spoiler works exactly as your UK coupe.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:02 PM

I dont get it either. But like you said probably a legal thing where they dont want to be blamed for blind spots or that the spoiler being up caused the car to back into someone. But when you enter reverse it comes down I think... so I dont know.

As far as the police speeding thing, its silly. The F-Type is so darn rare that 99% of the population doesnt know what an F-Type is. Especially police officers whose salaries would never have them looking at this price range of vehicle.

Old 09-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thechaosmachine
I'd like the option to do both, but mainly because I'm considering worst case scenario where police see that it's up and know that I broke 70MPH for a fact

TCM
I don't know why anyone thinks police can do this. No police officer is ever going to take your spoiler into consideration. If he sees you an thinks you're speeding, he will gun you... regardless of spoiler position. No police officer can pull you over and say "i pulled you over for speeding because your spoiler was up... I have no idea how fast you were going but you must have been speeding... Here's a ticket."

The following 2 users liked this post by Stohlen:
Burt Gummer (11-29-2016), jetsetter883 (11-20-2021)
Old 09-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I don't know why anyone thinks police can do this. No police officer is ever going to take your spoiler into consideration. If he sees you an thinks you're speeding, he will gun you... regardless of spoiler position. No police officer can pull you over and say "i pulled you over for speeding because your spoiler was up... I have no idea how fast you were going but you must have been speeding... Here's a ticket."
+1

Old 09-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

I̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ If he sees your spoiler up, he will gun you...

While I think everyone is aware that they will not receive a ticket for a deployed spoiler, it does make you more visible, and therefore more likely to be selected to have the gun aimed at you.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BierNut
I̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶e̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶s̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶p̶e̶e̶d̶i̶n̶g̶ If he sees your spoiler up, he will gun you...

While I think everyone is aware that they will not receive a ticket for a deployed spoiler, it does make you more visible, and therefore more likely to be selected to have the gun aimed at you.
LOL . . . it's not your spoiler being up that targets you, it's what you're driving, which looks like it's going fast at 30 mph, and that many LEOs have never seen before. In most cases, you're lit up before they even see the spoiler.

Old 09-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member

Please.... the officer isn't going to take the time to process what type of car you drive and whether or not a deployed spoiler means you're speeding. If you gather any added attention its because you're driving a relatively rare, sexy looking sports car. Not because of a stupid spoiler system.

Old 09-19-2015, 08:05 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

CHP officers receive a FAQ from Enforcement with a list of "Tips to Identify Speeders".

One of the speeding tips listed is deployed spoilers, and the document even lists cars (mostly Porsche) that have them, and the speed at which they are raised.

I saw this document myself, and this was back in 2007.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (02-07-2018)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member

CHP officers receive a FAQ from Enforcement with a list of "Tips to Identify Speeders".

One of the speeding tips listed is deployed spoilers, and the document even lists cars (mostly Porsche) that have them, and the speed at which they are raised.

I saw this document myself, and this was back in 2007.
If the CHP is still handing out that tip sheet almost 10 years later, I wonder if they're sophisticated enough to know that a coupe spoiler goes up at 70 and a convertible goes up at 60, unless in the latter case, an owner decides to put it up at 25.

The F-Type owner's manual seems to have some difficulty with that unless it's been revised for the '16s.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was a joke, hence the smiley face

Quick Reply: Any way to raise spoiler when driving below 70MPH?