F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

>>AP Velocity Springs - review

Old 01-16-2019, 03:39 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts
Default >>AP Velocity Springs - review

I did a lot of research on springs before deciding on AP Velocity, due to the optimal amount to lower my car (~0.88" front and rear), and the progressive design that would allow for a lowered stance but relatively soft ride. Combined with the new 21" VS-Forged wheels, I couldn't be happier with the result.
Before:

After:

Stuart runs a professional business, is very responsive, and backs his product. The springs shipped out within 24-hours. The ride is stiff, but no harsher than before, and I went from 20" to 21" wheels in the process.
I would highly recommend Velocity AP for their excellent products and service. .... Velocity AP valved exhaust next?

Old 01-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

+1.
I've had the VAP springs in for 16 months now and very happy with them.
The ride is only a tiny bit harder than before but it's something I got used to very quickly, it definitely corners flatter and looks waaaay better without the tractor size wheel arch gaps.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Very nice. They look a bit lower than the Eibach springs I have. For reference to others debating either option.

>>AP Velocity Springs - review-mn41iyu.jpg

The following users liked this post:
Tork Monster (01-18-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Any issues with speed humps?

It is already a challenge for this fat old man to get in and out of my '17 R, do you notice a difference climing in or out?

Wouldn't be suprised if a bit of the harshness comes from the lower profile tires. Looks awesome though!

Tork Monster (01-16-2019)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by EJag66
Any issues with speed humps?
It is already a challenge for this fat old man to get in and out of my '17 R, do you notice a difference climbing in or out?
Wouldn't be surprised if a bit of the harshness comes from the lower profile tires. Looks awesome though!
Thanks! No issues with speed bumps, although my driveway is rather steep and the nose scraped, so I switched sides with my wife (not as steep entrance on her side).
No issues with egress, although this car is not the easiest to get in and out. The car corners flatter, and transient response is better. No complaints at all

Old 01-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

@Tork Monster - Your car looks absolutely delightlful...the balance of chrome, silver, and the dark blue is perfect...and I hate chrome!

The wheels are right, the smaller wheel arch gaps are spot on...bloody hell man, I've got to copy you, but in gunmetal grey to match my IRR/Black theme.

Tork Monster (01-17-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Tel
@Tork Monster - Your car looks absolutely delightlful...the balance of chrome, silver, and the dark blue black is perfect...and I hate chrome!
The wheels are right, the smaller wheel arch gaps are spot on...bloody hell man, I've got to copy you, but in gunmetal grey to match my IRR/Black theme.
Thanks Tel! I have done a number of cars with the all blacked-out theme. Red works really well, but a black car can lose some of the shape.
Chrome can be too bling, but I think the minimal chrome on the F-Type looks good. The window trim is artwork.
Many will think these 21" wheels are a bit too much, but I love 'em.
If you are interested in these forged wheels, contact Paul at PK Auto Design (818) 408-6989. They have many styles, sizes, and finishes available

The following 2 users liked this post by Tork Monster:
scm (01-17-2019), Tel (01-18-2019)
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
Thanks Tel! I have done a number of cars with the all blacked-out theme. Red works really well, but a black car can lose some of the shape.
Chrome can be too bling, but I think the minimal chrome on the F-Type looks good. The window trim is artwork.
Many will think these 21" wheels are a bit too much, but I love 'em.
If you are interested in these forged wheels, contact Paul at PK Auto Design (818) 408-6989. They have many styles, sizes, and finishes available
...and what's the dimensions of the rubber they're shod in please?

Old 01-18-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Tel
...and what's the dimensions of the rubber they're shod in please?
Tel-
I am running Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. 265/30-21" front; 305/25-21" rears. Love them, and those back tires... steamrollers!

Panthro (04-22-2019)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:14 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Did the springs require any re-alignment, front or rear?
Thanks!

Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Thanks!
Any suspension modification necessitates an alignment. Toe and camber need to be adjusted in front. Caster should remain in spec. Only toe is adjustable in back.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:34 PM

Thanks!
Yes- both front and rear were re-aligned to spec

Old 01-22-2019, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Thanks!
Whenever you make a relatively major suspension change like fitting lowering springs you should get a full four wheel alignment done.
I got the shop who fitted my springs (a professional suspension shop) to do a full alignment at the same time and it's been perfect ever since. I didn't ask the fitter/aligner for a before and after alignment readout but he did say that only minor adjustments were necessary, and even then who knows if those adjustments were needed before the springs were fitted anyway.
This was just before I scrapped the worn out P-Zeros and replaced them with Michelin PS4S, and he offered to do a full realignment free of charge after the new tyres were fitted if I noticed any problems. I had zero problems after fitting the new tyres so I never took him up on the offer, and 16 months later the alignment still feels perfect to me.
One of the big "tells" for me is uneven tyre wear (or lack of it), on my old XFS after I lowered it the inner edges of the rear tyres wore out very quickly (same with the fronts but not so bad), but on the F-Type the tyres have worn amazingly evenly, just a little quicker on the inner edges (both front and rear) than the outer edges.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
@Tork Monster - Your car looks absolutely delightlful...the balance of chrome, silver, and the dark blue is perfect...and I hate chrome!

Although I had landed on the VS forged (Unhinged ran with it through Paul at PK Auto Design), I n ever pulled the trigger for various reasons. PK also carries forged wheels from BC forged. Their Monoblocks offer some other options and although a bit pricier than VS forged might be something to consider. I have also looked extensively at their 2 piece modular offerings. These are more expensive by about 1.5 x's but I find some of the design finish options hard to resist. Still waffling. Too many choices, combined with OCD. I ordered a set of finish samples from BC forged just to prolong the shopping experience.

The Group buy thread on the VS forged has some better info, if you are interested.