F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Dash Cams for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 12:47 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
that last picture gives me anxiety. I just wanna buy a little camera, stick it on the dash and go. Finished product on the black vue is pretty nice looking though.
Its actually not that difficult. It's only 3 wires, ground, acc and battery. It was more difficult routing the wires in the rear hatch door.

Originally Posted by Foosh
My iPhone affixed to the dash phone mount pictured below takes nice hi-def videos. In addition, it also serves many other useful functions. Granted it's not running all the time, so it may not be on when you need it, such as documenting an incident or accident.

I have that mount as well, however I try to use Waze every time I drive.

Old 01-09-2016, 03:28 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

As an alternative, my Blackvue is wired into the fuse box which is on the far left of the dash (presumably far right for LHD cars).

If you open the passenger door, the whole end of the dash pops off meaning the camera cable can run down the A-pillar straight into there and be completely hidden.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-07-2017)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:54 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Do you have any pictures of your Blackvue mounted? I've been thinking of getting one and saw someone posted pics on the last page, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the size of it will be annoying or reduce visibility.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
As an alternative, my Blackvue is wired into the fuse box which is on the far left of the dash (presumably far right for LHD cars).

If you open the passenger door, the whole end of the dash pops off meaning the camera cable can run down the A-pillar straight into there and be completely hidden.
I hid mine under the rubber seal running on the outside of the a pillar, didn't have to disable the dash.

Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Do you have any pictures of your Blackvue mounted? I've been thinking of getting one and saw someone posted pics on the last page, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the size of it will be annoying or reduce visibility.
I'll try to get some shots. However a good portion is covered by the rear view mirror already

Old 01-10-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

another point to note with the blackvue ....... they don't like aftermarket SD cards

Old 01-21-2016, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by ioneabee
another point to note with the blackvue ....... they don't like aftermarket SD cards
That's why I ordered mine with one they provide. I have had that issues before with cheaper dash cams such as the G1W.

Here is my first close call on video.

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/152647667" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="https://vimeo.com/152647667">Blackvue - Jaguar F-Type</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/user1259028">Warren Poblete</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited by TwiztOG43; 01-21-2016 at 09:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (01-25-2016)
Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Where was the close call? It all looked very tame compared to what I see almost everyday, including the place where you horned the elderly econobox.

Old 01-22-2016, 02:48 AM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm impressed to see expressway movement in LA. It's never been like that for me when I'm there (except at 3AM on a Sunday morning...)

Old 01-22-2016, 05:00 AM

Where was the close call? It all looked very tame compared to what I see almost everyday, including the place where you horned the elderly econobox.
Even for LA, I don't normally encounter other drivers abruptly changing lanes like that very often, and the times I have, there was more space for them to squeeze in. It seems less dramatic in the video, but from a driver's perspective the car looked a lot closer than what the camera picked up due to the placement of the camera, which behind the rear view mirror.

Originally Posted by Lookout!
I'm impressed to see expressway movement in LA. It's never been like that for me when I'm there (except at 3AM on a Sunday morning...)
It depends on the time of day usually. However prior to that section of the highway I was stuck in bad traffic coming from OC to Downtown LA.

Last edited by TwiztOG43; 01-22-2016 at 05:04 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I think crossy goat takes this round...

Old 01-22-2016, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

+1. That type of behavior is always happening on the DC Beltway. You'd have to lean on the horn constantly if that had any impact on the behavior.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

This is from a Thinkware F750 mounted to the left (passenger side) of the rearview mirror. The power cable is run down the A-pillar, under the passenger door and the rear panel into the power outlet in the center cubby box but I'll get some add-a-circuit fuse holders and plug it into the fuse box. I've also ordered the rear camera to go with it.

It doesn't actually look look that close in the video but the red cyclist had already started moving to follow the first guy so I had to veer right - then dodge left so I didn't clip the guy who was heading for the right turn lane.

If we're going to get into an argument about sharing the road with cyclists - all 3 of them should have already been in the right turn lane at this point not crossing (slowly) traffic from the left.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:49 AM

I'm not trying to go off on a car vs bike tangent, but:

Honestly, while I can't see it clearly in any more than casual observation and don't know the NZ laws, that hand signal should have been your queue to slow down and yield just like a car's turn signal. In my state, had something happened, that video may have been the source of your conviction (and I'm a cyclist who is certified in safety and qualifies as an expert witness in trials). And while it would be wrong to assume that those three cyclists were together, the front rider appeared to be confused in his assessment of where you were going by your veering to the right...hence his hesitation in speed and direction. Were you going about 50-70KmPH?

Having said that, the cyclists in black should have been wearing much more visible colors and the lead rider, if they were together, should have kept a much more predictable direction even if confused by your action.

Again, I'm not trying to go off on a tangent, nor am I trying to conclude what I cannot determine from a casual viewing of the video. But remember, right or wrong, you outweigh them 20:1...and I'm seeing them do more right than wrong here - despite your frustration.

Last edited by Lookout!; 01-25-2016 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 AM
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

according to the GPS on the dashcam I had already slowed down to 35km/h and less than 1/2 second warning for the hand signal isn't really enough. The camera is very wide angle so they were way closer than they look.

And, to be honest, if I wasn't driving carefully I would have clipped at least one of them.

Last edited by jallitt; 01-25-2016 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by jallitt
according to the GPS on the dashcam I had already slowed down to 35km/h and less than 1/2 second warning for the hand signal isn't really enough. The camera is very wide angle so they were way closer than they look.
Fair enough.

Old 01-25-2016, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

As an avid cyclist and driver I can confidently claim without prejudice that most cyclists are idiots around cars and most drivers are idiots around bicycles. A deadly combination. Hence, I try to stay off the road and on the trails when I'm cycling. This idiot wants to stay alive.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
TwiztOG43 (01-25-2016), TXJagR (01-25-2016), Uncle Fishbits (01-25-2016)
Old 02-11-2016, 06:09 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 02-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I never understood why, since there's already cameras and HDD's in our cars, they don't record a 5 minute loop or something, with a close call you could save it and have it on record, upload it in your phone with USB cable, (or have it directly record on your phone for that matter)?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
I never understood why, since there's already cameras and HDD's in our cars, they don't record a 5 minute loop or something, with a close call you could save it and have it on record, upload it in your phone with USB cable, (or have it directly record on your phone for that matter)?
Amen!

Quick Reply: Best Dash Cams for F-Type