F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Dash Cams for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Grumpy Finn
I never understood why, since there's already cameras and HDD's in our cars, they don't record a 5 minute loop or something, with a close call you could save it and have it on record, upload it in your phone with USB cable, (or have it directly record on your phone for that matter)?
It could be a liability thing, and against some wire-tapping laws if they also record audio. Plus you will also have people against it stating its an invasion of privacy if the auto manufacturer/government were to have access to it, especially if they made it a standard option on all cars.

It is similar to the Progressive Snapshot, it would benefit some people having it standard on all cars, considering the data is already there, however I for one would not want that, knowing that the insurance companies would base your rates on your driving style vs. how many claims or accidents you have caused.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
It is similar to the Progressive Snapshot, it would benefit some people having it standard on all cars, considering the data is already there, however I for one would not want that, knowing that the insurance companies would base your rates on your driving style vs. how many claims or accidents you have caused.
Not the main topic here, but I did a little research with my insurance company on the boxes plugged into the OBDII port. We've been with the same insurance company for 15 years. We have no tickets going back 8 years, and no accidents or claims at all.

According to my agent, who has become a good friend, the box can't raise your rate, which is based upon the usual actuarial stats, (e.g. tickets, accidents, age, where you live, etc.). However, having the logger does give you a chance for a substantial discount off your regular rate. It doesn't have to be in the car forever, just 6 months.

I decided to put it in the MB and Jeep and received a 5% discount for just signing up for the program. After our data collection period, we received a 26% discount on the Jeep and 19% discount on the MB. The MB has a longer commute.

These discounts were on top of our already very low rate.

It only reports 4 parameters, which make complete sense, and you can see your data and discount on their website:

1) hard braking (and it really means hard braking)
2) fast acceleration (ditto)
3) night driving (defined as between midnight and 5am)
4) mileage

Other insurance companies may conduct the program differently, but I'd guess most are almost identical.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-11-2016 at 09:45 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
TwiztOG43 (02-11-2016), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2016), Unhingd (02-11-2016)
Old 02-14-2016, 12:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Koonlung K1S install

Front & rear camera units are very small and discrete. I have chosen to mount the recording unit in a visible/easily accesible location - but this could just as easily be mounted in the glovebox, boot or other concealed location for an even more discrete install. Power comes from the standard switched 12V socket in the centre console - powered on when ignition on, else off. Using a 64Gb memory card which gives about 5.5 hours of front & rear video.

Attached Thumbnails Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1838.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1839.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1840.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1843.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1844.jpg  

Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1848.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1841.jpg   Best Dash Cams for F-Type-img_1842.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2016)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:18 AM
Received 148 Likes on 80 Posts

+1 BlackVue. I had 2 Mini's, the 0805 and 0806..Horibble!! Kept freezing and/or shutting off and not waking up till I let the battery run flat in the camera and then charge it via computer..

I have a BlackVue now in my car, got it from a canadian dash cam site(that I'm no involved with, but great service)..cam works great, also have it wired to the PMP set at 11.8V power down.

Btw, I just noticed last week, BlackVue's whole line being sold at Bestbuy in store...at least you could check them out in person and return in person if you don't like..versus ordering online and paying for return

Velocity Automotive Performance Limited
214 Maple Ave.
Oliver, BC
Canada V0H 1T9
Office Tel: (250) 485-5126
www.VelocityAP.com
Tuning@VelocityAP.com

The following 2 users liked this post by Tuning@VelocityAP:
Smoke Em (05-13-2016), Uncle Fishbits (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
1) hard braking (and it really means hard braking)
2) fast acceleration (ditto)
3) night driving (defined as between midnight and 5am)
4) mileage

Other insurance companies may conduct the program differently, but I'd guess most are almost identical.
LOL Well... I don't hard brake. I've been on enough windy wine country roads to realize I should have gotten ceramic. The smell. The SMELL.

Anyhoo I am better now and using the engine to downshift and slow down..... but off the line? Whooopsie. I get up to speed prettttttttty quick. lol

Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

could someone with a BlackVUE (or similar) give a little more detail about where you hid the excess wire to the rear channel? I'm assuming there's going to be feet of wire left over.

Would also love some more detail about the power connection in the fuse box. Which fuse do you tap into, and what hardware is needed to do that? I'm a novice when it comes to adding security/audio accessories to a car.

I want a system that runs when the ignition is on (preferably without me having to remember to press 'record'), but I do worry about running when the car is off because of the battery issues previously discussed on this forum about these cars.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:16 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
could someone with a BlackVUE (or similar) give a little more detail about where you hid the excess wire to the rear channel? I'm assuming there's going to be feet of wire left over.

Would also love some more detail about the power connection in the fuse box. Which fuse do you tap into, and what hardware is needed to do that? I'm a novice when it comes to adding security/audio accessories to a car.

I want a system that runs when the ignition is on (preferably without me having to remember to press 'record'), but I do worry about running when the car is off because of the battery issues previously discussed on this forum about these cars.
I hid the excess behind the right rear quarter panel. I routed my wire under the rear cover and up to the window.

As for which fuses, acc and one of the empty ones since they're always hot even when ignition is off.

The only thing you need extra is the 2 add-a-fuse.

Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
I hid the excess behind the right rear quarter panel. I routed my wire under the rear cover and up to the window.

As for which fuses, acc and one of the empty ones since they're always hot even when ignition is off.

The only thing you need extra is the 2 add-a-fuse.
Thanks for the reply. Why do you need to tap two different fuse sites for one device? And do you just cut off the included 12v adapter and use those wires to tap into the fuse box?

If you have time to snap a couple photos of the route you took to the rear camera, that would be awesome.

Old 12-25-2016, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Why people need dash cams or one reason why:

Best dash cam out currently for the $$ - GPS, 4k, audio, streaming to mobile, transfer to mobile, remote push button snapshot, great video, easy dismount, hardwire cable with volt drain protection, parking functions (records after you leave) - this is not really meant to be a race track cam - for every car, every day use:

$140 w/ all options:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282092445908...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 12-25-2016 at 10:04 PM.
JagAlb (06-10-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Why people need dash cams or one reason why:...
How do you think I paid for my F-Type? That last one deserved an EMMY.

Uncle Fishbits (08-01-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default TwiztOG43 Dashcam Install

Hey TwiztOG43, I was looking at that picture of your fuse box after hardwiring the dashcam and I was wondering if you could help me out. Could you go over which fuse you used for the ACC and the Constant and where you grounded the wire? Thank you!

Old 06-10-2017, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Unhinged you'll like the first one - awesome!

People act like this now, when society is still in place and things are civil. Just wait.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 06-10-2017 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Unhinged you'll like the first one - awesome!

People act like this now, when society is still in place and things are civil. Just wait.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2hwkzN6Hw0
That first one was certainly a miscalculation deserving of a Darwin Award.

Last edited by Unhingd; 06-10-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I got the DDPai M6+ from Ebay, with CP filter and hardwire, all at 140 Eu including shipment. Very easy and very good quality image.

Burt Gummer (06-10-2017)
Old 06-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

I still haven't hardwired my dash cam because I can't figure out how to get the wire down to the fusebox in a hidden fashion. Anyone have pictures of that?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:00 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
+1 for Blackvue, I have one in both my cars, most compact looking dashcams I could find without a big ugly mount.

Get it hardwired with an additional 12v socket added, it can all be hidden including the wiring so you can just get in and go.
Planning to have the BlackVue DR650S 2CH installed with power module soon. A friend highly recommend it and it looks compact as stated above.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by wilky
That is one lucky sheep! Obviously it had a hearing problem!

BTW - I see you've attached your BV in exact (although mirrored) position as mine - has the blind spot caused by the mirror mount ever blocked anything useful?

Old 06-12-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati

I ran my rear wire under the sill finisher and up the rear edge (behind carpet) of the passenger door. Then easy poke into space under semi deployed roof (convertibubble)...

Anyone with a convertibubble found a better place for rear mount cam than sitting exposed between the seats (just rear of screen position)?

Old 06-14-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

FYI, the Waylens has both a charging feature that carries a charge like a gopro, via its battery, for at least a few hours. I think 3hrs.

But it also have the wired option, if you figure it out. I just let a wire run from the cig lighter, to the right side rear view mirror and over to the plug into the waylen base. Sorta ugly, but road trips are never clean.

wired option:https://shop.waylens.com/collections/accessories

Old 07-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

So just over a week of having my DashCam installed and already capturing some great near misses!

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Jag Near miss 1.mov (4.28 MB, 271 views)

Quick Reply: Best Dash Cams for F-Type