F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth OBD Reader - Battery Drain - Any fix yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth OBD Reader - Battery Drain - Any fix yet?

Used a bluetooth OBD reader to get track stats for my 2016 F-Type R, and it killed my battery. Even after diconnecting the OBD tool, it continues to drain the battery.

I have read in a thread from last year that someone disconnected the battery to 'reboot' the car to stop it from draining the battery - but this needed to be done every single time you used the OBD tool. This means resaving memorized features (like radio stations, etc) every single time.

Has anyone found a fix? A workaround, or anything?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
I have read in a thread from last year that someone disconnected the battery to 'reboot' the car to stop it from draining the battery - but this needed to be done every single time you used the OBD tool. This means resaving memorized features (like radio stations, etc) every single time.
Rebooting the battery does not affect the saved infotainment (radio, etc.) settings. The only things that need to be reprogrammed are the window auto-up feature and the display settings for the center of the instrument panel. Takes about a minute in total to do this. The reboot now is used widely by folks on the forum after they flash their tune or do any kind of data logging off the ODB port. This is the fix.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-25-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

In know it is not a fix per se, but would a battery (12V 500A) switch be useful in the hot circuit, or possibly a solid state device, so that you can cycle the power without pulling the floorboards and disconnecting?

Old 02-25-2017, 08:59 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Dang...so Ihave a Bluetooth OBD reader from my previous Jag XE R Sport...no problem using it with that car. So if I were to use it with my F type, it creates a constant battery drain even after I disconnect it?
CRS

Old 02-25-2017, 09:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Dang...so Ihave a Bluetooth OBD reader from my previous Jag XE R Sport...no problem using it with that car. So if I were to use it with my F type, it creates a constant battery drain even after I disconnect it?
CRS
We're not certain yet whether this is a universal issue with all F-Types, but it is certainly an issue for a lot of them.