F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Package Specs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Brake Package Specs

Does anyone have any further details on exactly who makes the various brake options for the F-Type? The official website and literature is annoyingly devoid of details. For example, I have the Super Performance Braking Package on my car - here's what the website has to say about it:

"The Super Performance brakes, featuring 380mm/376mm brake rotors, are fitted with red calipers for visual flair"

Does anyone know who makes this system? How many pistons in the front and rear calipers? Any further details?

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Don't have any information you are looking for, but for anyone customizing the car - big red brakes are nothing short of spectacular.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:25 AM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

Ask and you shall receive. I can't confirm who supplies the non carbon ceramic brakes (which is Brembo). But the technical specs are here:

The following 3 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
jaguny (05-12-2016), Orkney (05-12-2016), Smoke Em (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Interesting - so the super performance have the same front but larger rear rotors than the high performance brakes (which I have.)

Big red brakes are cool, but not on a red car.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by DJS
Interesting - so the super performance have the same front but larger rear rotors than the high performance brakes (which I have.)

According to that spreadsheet, they do - it also seems to indicate that the calipers are the same on all three options. If that was the case, what exactly would be the difference? The calipers are visually different on the three systems, so I think that spreadsheet is missing some info...

Old 05-12-2016, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

If the "Super High Performance" brakes have any less than 4 pots on the front calipers, they aren't worth the money. Those come on $40-60K Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Foosh
If the "Super High Performance" brakes have any less than 4 pots on the front calipers, they aren't worth the money. Those come on $40-60K Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes.

I'd be really surprised if they were any less than 4 - and for the rears, any less than 2. Especially with those large discs and a heavy car.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

pretty sure they are 2 piston fronts and single piston rears.

i've been looking at some after market caliper options, but need to know piston area to size the calipers correctly. after that it's just a matter of having a shot fab up some brackets.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I can't confirm who supplies the non carbon ceramic brakes...
, but I believe they are ZF (TRW) brakes.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
, but I believe they are ZF (TRW) brakes.
definitely TRW - there are several of the calipers up on eBay and they are labeled TRW...

Old 05-12-2016, 03:13 PM
Received 147 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS

I think you can order them in other colors. When ordering an R you can have the same brakes with black calipers.

Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by StealthPilot
I think you can order them in other colors. When ordering an R you can have the same brakes with black calipers.
You can. I have an R in IRR with optional black calipers.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Does the number of pots make *that* much difference when the options are 2 or 4? Presumably braking force is the approx. the same, assuming master cylinders are the same?

On the base, the larger super performance rotor/caliper should perform better than the standard base stock rotor/caliper by virtue of the larger diameter.

Looks like the difference between high performance and super performance lies in the larger rear rotors/calipers and not the fronts?

Old 05-12-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mshedden
Does the number of pots make *that* much difference when the options are 2 or 4? Presumably braking force is the approx. the same, assuming master cylinders are the same?

On the base, the larger super performance rotor/caliper should perform better than the standard base stock rotor/caliper by virtue of the larger diameter.

Looks like the difference between high performance and super performance lies in the larger rear rotors/calipers and not the fronts?
Yes, larger disks should perform better than smaller, but 4 (or more) pots will provide more clamping power than 2. Holding disk size, vehicle weight, etc. constant, 4 pot calipers will produce shorter stopping distances than 2. You've doubled the number of hydraulic pistons, and the more piston area you have exposed to the fluid the more force is exerted onto the pad/disc.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-12-2016 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:08 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Yes, larger disks should perform better than smaller, but 4 (or more) pots will provide more clamping power than 2. Holding disk size, vehicle weight, etc. constant, 4 pot calipers will produce shorter stopping distances than 2. You've doubled the number of hydraulic pistons, and the more piston area you have exposed to the fluid the more force is exerted onto the pad/disc.
Not to labor the point BUT - a woman in high heels exerts more pressure per unit area compared to a woman in sneakers, HOWEVER, the total force exerted is the same in both cases b/c the force is due to the woman's weight, which is a constant.

Similarly, the fluid pressure in the brake system should be the same (assuming same master cylinder) no matter what calipers are on the ends of the lines - it doesn't increase because there are 4 pots rather than 2, but it IS spread more evenly over the back of the brake pad.

However, given that the brake pad backing is a relatively thick metal plate, I would opine that pressure distribution at the pad face would be essentially similar with 2 OR 4 pots or at least not vastly different with everything else remaining constant.

Regarldless of the pot count, you can get the super performance upgrade kit (as parts) for the base car for ~ $2700 consisting of 4 larger rotors, 4 calipers etc, which seems a fair price in the JLR universe - and possibly the only viable *available* upgrade for the base. Not so good a deal for the 'S' however as it already has larger front rotors and calipers.

Old 05-13-2016, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

The Super Performance front brakes are the same size as fitted to my XFR (380 mm) and they look identical from the outside (same caliper, same anti-rattle clip), so as my front brakes are definitely 2 pot I would guess the F-Type Super Performance front brakes are also 2 pot.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
The Super Performance front brakes are the same size as fitted to my XFR (380 mm) and they look identical from the outside (same caliper, same anti-rattle clip), so as my front brakes are definitely 2 pot I would guess the F-Type Super Performance front brakes are also 2 pot.
That is correct. They are definitely two pot brakes.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member

Not to labor the point BUT - a woman in high heels exerts more pressure per unit area compared to a woman in sneakers, HOWEVER, the total force exerted is the same in both cases b/c the force is due to the woman's weight, which is a constant.

Similarly, the fluid pressure in the brake system should be the same (assuming same master cylinder) no matter what calipers are on the ends of the lines - it doesn't increase because there are 4 pots rather than 2, but it IS spread more evenly over the back of the brake pad.

However, given that the brake pad backing is a relatively thick metal plate, I would opine that pressure distribution at the pad face would be essentially similar with 2 OR 4 pots or at least not vastly different with everything else remaining constant.

Regarldless of the pot count, you can get the super performance upgrade kit (as parts) for the base car for ~ $2700 consisting of 4 larger rotors, 4 calipers etc, which seems a fair price in the JLR universe - and possibly the only viable *available* upgrade for the base. Not so good a deal for the 'S' however as it already has larger front rotors and calipers.
You raise very good questions that piqued my curiosity, so I looked into it a little more. The info on 2 vs. 4 vs. 6 pot advantages/disadvantages is conflicting and all over the map.

The only consistent consensus I found was that "more pot" calipers are generally bigger and better at heat dissipation. That advantage would probably only be helpful in terms of keeping your brakes alive for longer race track sessions. They seem to make little or no difference in terms of stopping distances until brake fade begins to occur.

The same seems to be true of carbon fiber vs. conventional brakes. One review I found had the V6S w/ super performance brakes stopping from 60 in 106 ft. vs. 104 for the carbon fiber brakes.

I'd always accepted on faith that more pots were better, but after looking into it, that's not necessarily the case. The demand for them seems more driven by the "bling factor" than anything else.

Last edited by Foosh; 05-13-2016 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Veteran Member

The only consistent consensus I found was that "more pot" calipers are generally bigger and better at heat dissipation...
That was always my understanding. Heat dissipation is also the consideration for bigger brakes as well. Note: if the brakes are cool, even the smallest brake option can easily lock the wheels. It's not until there is repeated braking (and heat) or stopping from great speed (generating massive heat) that you notice a difference.
The demand for them seems more driven by the "bling factor" than anything else.
+1.

Old 05-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

... the force is due to the woman's weight, which is a constant.
Constant, and underreported.

Quick Reply: Brake Package Specs