F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 02:34 PM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.

I hit the 2k mile mark this week...finally. I'm scheduling an oil change and and want the dealer to look at a few things:

-Oil/Filter
-The passenger side door seems to be slightly off level. There is a scratch on the underside of the door/in the corner of the jamb where it seems to be rubbing.
-Check torque/torque down sub-frame bolts, brakes etc.
-I'm sending an oil sample off to Black Stone Labs. I'll likely do it every other oil change. I plan on changing the oil in between each service.

Thoughts

The car has been amazing. Getting higher into the rev range is pretty nuts. I can definitely see the allure of the V6S, however. The V8 is honestly unusable to even 70%. I wouldn't trade it, as its character and presence is really what attracted me to the car to begin with, and even more so now. It's just that it gets to extremely high speeds, so quickly, it's staggering. I have in dynamic manual virtually 100% of the time and I should probably try to let the car shift itself for a bit. I rarely get higher than 5th gear, even cruising on the highway.

I haven't had any real issues with the car. The SOS fault came up a few times and I'll have them take a look when I drop it off. I haven't had it pop up in weeks.

Pros

I mean, nothing needs to be said that hasn't already in here. It's an amazing car and ticks all the right boxes.

Cons

So I don't think things like cargo space, gas mileage, outward visibility etc are really things to complain about. If your wife is bitching at you because you because you can't take little johnny and jenny to soccer practice, go pick up 30 yards of topsoil, and get 30 MPG like her 2010 Mazda Misery, that's your fault (getting married, having kids etc), not the car's. It was designed to be a great driving, looking and sounding car. It's gets more attention than I'd like, but again, I knew that going in. Little, stupid **** like no place for sunglasses, no good phone mounting location without gluing something to the nice interior, or wedging plastic mounts in places were easily solved by 3D printing my own solutions. There are some UI/UX annoyances like always having to hit 'OK' for the seatbelt warning, it not remembering some settings for the screen and always having to turn off auto start/stop. I can't kill it for those small short comings. I still consider it a 'niche' car from a fairly 'boutique' automaker, so those things are forgivable. Ya, I'd love to see CarPlay, maybe a HUD (I'm reaching here, I don't think I'd even use it) and maybe some better interior lighting, but whatever. They don't even make enough of hem to get hit with a gas guzzler tax, so I'm not holding my breath on the bleeding edge car tech.

A few updated shots with the PPF done.
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-iqmlefs.jpg
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-wycvsth.jpg
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-cp2mnxv.jpg
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-rxp7wwv.jpg

Glasses clip and phone mount. These aren't finished yet. I still have a tweak or two to make with each, but they solve problems, which is why I made them.
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-ver8ml2.jpg
Break-in Complete. Onward, and some thoughts.-ttj90jg.jpg

Future Plans

I'm not into 'modding' generally. I certainly wouldn't do anything to possibly f-up my warranty. And, frankly, nothing on the market is all that impressive, IMO. The power is basically unusable on the street as it is. I guess a catback that would keep the tone the same, but even louder would be fun and obnoxious. I'll probably be doing a ceramic coating over the PPF, wheels and calipers in the Spring. I haven't decided on the brand yet. Other than that, a remote radar/laser system is on my mind. The issue with radar being affected by the RF reflecting windshield is WAY overblown IMO. My Passport Max 360 works just as it did on my other cars. There are a number of hotspots and known traps I go through and it still alerts, in the same places. That being said, I'm interested in installing laser jamming and also possible a Waylens camera or other dashcam. I'd like to get the thing off the windshield and wire out of the cabin too. We'll see. Good ones are big money and you have to find the right installer.

For now it's just planning road trips to drive, shoot photos and some video and have a good time with it.

Last edited by Sinjen; 01-30-2018 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a great looking ride, Sinjen! I am just getting to know my car also and I share a lot of the same sentiments. We may need you to go into full production mode for the phone and sunglasses holders. Great solution.

If your wife is bitching at you because you because you can't take little johnny and jenny to soccer practice, go pick up 30 yards of topsoil, and get 30 MPG like her 2010 Mazda Misery, that's your fault (getting married, having kids etc), not the car's.
I love it!

Old 01-30-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I'm not certain what the bruhaha is regarding sunglass storage. Five locations: 2 door pockets, glove box, center console and the bin in the middle of the rear bulkhead. Am I missing something?

Old 01-30-2018, 03:56 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Sinjen - Please excuse me, but I have to ask. Are you, by any chance, divorced? I try to keep up with the threads here that are of interest to me and I have noticed that in many of those you have voiced some very strong (negative) opinions regarding marriage.

Legitimate question. Just wondering where the negativity comes from.

Grats on the break-in, btw. Now you can start having some real fun!

The following users liked this post:
Sinjen (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by woodturner
Sinjen - Please excuse me, but I have to ask. Are you, by any chance, divorced? I try to keep up with the threads here that are of interest to me and I have noticed that in many of those you have voiced some very strong (negative) opinions regarding marriage.

I've always hypothesized that those disgruntled with marriage were most likely to be disillusioned with the institution if they had to deal with rug rats. Having to buy any vehicle with more than two doors would sour even the most saintly among us.

Fortunately my life has been blessed with the right woman. The most I have to deal with is her eye rolling whenever I mention the JAAAG.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-30-2018 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sinjen (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 04:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm not certain what the bruhaha is regarding sunglass storage. Five locations: 2 door pockets, glove box, center console and the bin in the middle of the rear bulkhead. Am I missing something?
If you have nice glasses and don't want to have to put them in a separate case (so they don't get scratched) to then put them in those locations, it's a minor pain. Most cars have a compartment for them. Not a huge deal.

Originally Posted by woodturner

Lmao. No not divorced. Just happily never married. I'm not sure what you mean by 'many', but the other thread you are referring to had people attacking me for what I spent on the PPF. I was merely pointing out that I don't have the same things holding me back that many guys do...those things, in my experience tend to be other people, generally spouses and kids. They brought it up, not me.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I've always hypothesized that those disgruntled with marriage were most likely to be disillusioned with the institution if they had to deal with rug rats. Having to buy any vehicle with more than two doors would sour even the most saintly among us.

Fortunately my life has been blessed with the right woman. The most I have to deal with is her eye rolling whenever I mention the JAAAG.

Eh it's more just that the juice isn't worth the squeeze, but hey, whatever blows your hair back. To each his own.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If you want ability to put more power down, you want to get rid of PZero tires and replace them with something capable of handling power.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SinF
If you want ability to put more power down, you want to get rid of PZero tires and replace them with something capable of handling power.
It's 25° right now and I have winter tires on the car, so that's moot at the moment.