Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRG vs. BRG

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
Old post but the fellow was wrong; if Jaguar says your F type is British Racing Green then it is! ......doesn't mean it has to be the SAME BRG as they used previously.

Dave
Every year, the paint is made in a way that will make it relatively different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_racing_green

the history is interesting.

the color chart at the bottom is, as well.

Road and Track: 1960 article:
https://www.miata.net/misc/racecolor.html
British racing green, to dispel some of the arguments, is not any particular shade of green, but Napier green is preferred.

It's a nod to Ireland:
Leinster Leader April 1903 - Review of the coming Gordon Bennett Race

Here's a lot more:
https://petrolicious.com/articles/a-...g-green-2-of-4

One of the first Brit cars was #13, and they painted it Green b/c the French thought it to be a lucky color:
So How Did The British Settle On British Racing Green?

And purists (on a boat making forum) have a good point, if you're a purist, and this is a point a purist would make:
British Racing Green

It's not BRG if it's sparkly. Original BRG couldn't have done that.

Anyhoo.... great convo!

Old 05-10-2017, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

My point is that if Jaguar paints a car metallic green and calls it British Racing Green, then it IS British Racing Green. They could call purple BRG and that's what it is.....they can call anything whatever they want and it's OEM gospel....

One could argue that it isn't the historical BRG, but that's beside the point IMO.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DPelletier
My point is that if Jaguar paints a car metallic green and calls it British Racing Green, then it IS British Racing Green. They could call purple BRG and that's what it is.....they can call anything whatever they want and it's OEM gospel....

One could argue that it isn't the historical BRG, but that's beside the point IMO.

Dave
Oh totally agreed. It takes a special type of smug entitlement to tell a car company the color they chose as BRG is, in fact, not BRG.

Sounds like seeking justice from behind a keyboard. LOL "I know the answers, and it is so hard that only I know them!"

I even missed the point where someone was arguing about BRG as a purist, vs Jag saying, "stop your internal conversation, because this is BERG".... so no offense if someone is doing the semantic and literal definition that splits hairs.

DPelletier (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
It takes a special type of smug entitlement to tell a car company the color they chose as BRG is, in fact, not BRG.

LOL; exactly! :-)

Dave

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by PolkNole

So I later get home and relook up my color. It is..."British Racing Green Metallic". So, technically, he is right. But only technically. And I think the flecks make it look much better anyways.

Ok...so it's BRG vs. BRGM.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I struggled for days before deciding on the colour. In my younger days I was always after bright colours, red, black, white. As I got older chose mostly alpine white for my cars. Three alpine Bmws , four runner, red mustang GT, candy red Miata, which I still own and love very much. For the F-type, my wife really preferred the white as long as the rear diffuser was white as well but we argued and argued until I took her to the showroom and showed her the BRG. She fell in love and we signed the papers. I think it's a very understated colour and fits our age very much. Both in early fifties...

Old 05-10-2017, 10:15 PM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali Shiralian
I struggled for days before deciding on the colour. In my younger days I was always after bright colours, red, black, white. As I got older chose mostly alpine white for my cars. Three alpine Bmws , four runner, red mustang GT, candy red Miata, which I still own and love very much. For the F-type, my wife really preferred the white as long as the rear diffuser was white as well but we argued and argued until I took her to the showroom and showed her the BRG. She fell in love and we signed the papers. I think it's a very understated colour and fits our age very much. Both in early fifties...
Same here; had many a red or custom hue Corvettes, brightly painted Camaros, estsoril blue Bimmers, candy apple 'Stangs, etc. but as I got older I wanted something a little more restrained and mature looking...so I went with the Firesand...lol.

I showed my teenaged kid the Firesand F-type that I thought I was going to get and he was all over it and totally stoked. His Dad was cool! Then I showed him the BRG when I found it; he was like "Dad, don't even go with the orange...you need to buy this one!".

I couldn't let my kid be the mature one...lol. Seriously, it really is my favorite color for this machine; classy but full of punch.

Uncle Fishbits (05-11-2017)
Old 05-11-2017, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Desert Dawg
classy but full of punch.
I drove a Wrangler 20 years, then bought this '16 which arrived August of '15.

Wash day is super fun. See a theme?

But you nailed.... Firesand is GLORIOUS, but I don't need that much attention. Classy, w/ flecks of sparkly punch. Purists be damned. =)

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Desert Dawg (05-11-2017), DPelletier (05-11-2017)
Old 10-09-2018, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Without beating the proverbial dead horse, go to any paint shop and ask for "white" paint, then stand back. You will be deluged with an abundance of choices.
Over the years how many times have the variations in BRG had the opportunity to change. Add the variation in the retinal degree of all those who mix the color codes without computer input in the early days? The variations boggle the mind.
Just go with the colour that best suits your personal taste and enjoy the ride. After all, that is what it is all about, isn't that right???

Old 06-18-2019, 11:07 PM
Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I just wrapped my XKR and it's a pretty close match for that BRG Xirillac flake in the original post above.

Uncle Fishbits (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Nice job, great color, and Beautiful Photography!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

That's not a post edited or photoshopped pic is it? Timing is everything, be it photography or comedy. =)

Old 06-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 90 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
That's not a post edited or photoshopped pic is it? Timing is everything, be it photography or comedy. =)
The photographer edited in the lightning, as you can see by the edging issues on the top of car in that one. It was lightning quite a bit that night, but as the shots were all long exposures of between 15 and 30 seconds each shot, lightning flashes were obviously not captured, so it's an artistic edit on his part. However, the colors are accurate, and you can see it in the other picture I posted for reference. I have a bunch of other pictures of the car in various lighting conditions and times of day if you'd like some other reference points. I got it wrapped just before a recent 5,000 mile road trip with my buddy and his Aston Martin Vantage, so lots of different conditions. :-)

One of the other AM owners we met up with. Guy's a legend in their club for his custom Gulf liveries and lots of custom work he did himself.

Me and my friend about to go through Fort Hunter Liggett, up the mountains, and over to Hwy 1.

Near White Sands Missile Range