F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

British Racing Green only at a higher price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,210 Likes on 1,345 Posts

This has been interesting but I can confirm that the British Racing Green Xirallic (and the Italian Racing Red Xirallic) cost an extra $1600 CAD.
If anyone reading this thread still doesn't know why one would pay extra for this paint, then: (Sorry about the orientation: I don't know how to make the photos appear right side up! - perhaps another reader can help with this?)

Attached Thumbnails British Racing Green only at a higher price?-img_1824.jpg   British Racing Green only at a higher price?-f-type-april-18.jpg  

Last edited by sov211; 05-07-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@sov211. I think if you open them with a viewer on a pc/laptop or tablet, rotate them and save in the correct postion, then they'll open the same way here..

Old 05-07-2018, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

https://www.landrover.com/special-ve...m-palette.html

I think the same paints are used for Jaguar. This may be covered in another thread. Not only is there pixie dust but chromaflair and special effects. May be worth it if you fall in love but not sure how many of these you'll see on the showroom floor.

Old 05-07-2018, 08:06 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Apparently xirallic shouldn’t be more expensive than metallic.
https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glos...nt-types-guide

Old 05-07-2018, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
@sov211. I think if you open them with a viewer on a pc/laptop or tablet, rotate them and save in the correct postion, then they'll open the same way here..
I did try that but it did not work, and I have no idea why. They were originally in the correct orientation on my computer but when uploaded to this site they appear 90 degrees off. I then rotated them on my computer and saved them - but when these upended photos uploaded to the site they STILL are upended. A mystery to me...too bad because I think they show the BRG well.
Thanks for trying to help, Dan.

Last edited by sov211; 05-07-2018 at 09:49 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Dan_NL (05-08-2018), Panthro (05-09-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fleer
Apparently xirallic shouldn’t be more expensive than metallic.
https://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glos...nt-types-guide
Perhaps not, but that guide does not mention Xirallics. There really is a distinct difference between regular metallics and the Xirallics, which are more complex visually. But the price differential asked(which appears to vary not only from year to year but also market to market) is quite significant -probably too significant. And yes, since the main target of the F-Type was admitted by Jaguar to be the Porsche, Jaguar has adopted the Porsche pricing model...sigh...

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Ultimate Black (now Santorini Black??) is another color that has gone from xirallic to metallic at some point in recent years. Striking difference with it too. The original xirallic paint has much more life in varying light conditions compared to its metallic version.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

As I understand it this is JLR pricing policy for SVRs basically SVR you can have any colour you wish but you pay for it. Vehicles is extracted from production painted in SVR facility which is hand prep and had sprayed and hand finished. Painted body then returns to main JLR plant for assembly. Then its returned to SVR for assembly addition and or replacement with specified SVR options

That's definitely how it works for Landrover models

Old 05-08-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RoonieQ
Ultimate Black (now Santorini Black??) is another color that has gone from xirallic to metallic at some point in recent years. Striking difference with it too. The original xirallic paint has much more life in varying light conditions compared to its metallic version.
Watching the BRG on my new MY19 F-Type (with 1000 miles on its odometer) I’m wondering if it’s actually xirallic or not, as it indeed has much more life in varying light conditions. Still, I got it a the regular “metallic” price.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Is it really still xirallic? I don't think it's been called that for awhile. In 2016 or 17, IRR was changed from xirallic to metallic and lost a little bit of its flash.

Xirallic is a trade name of Merck, so it is likely they dropped the use of that term when they changed paint vendors.
Any more info on this change from xirallic to metallic for BRG?

Old 05-08-2018, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by sov211
This has been interesting but I can confirm that the British Racing Green Xirallic (and the Italian Racing Red Xirallic) cost an extra $1600 CAD.
If anyone reading this thread still doesn't know why one would pay extra for this paint, then: (Sorry about the orientation: I don't know how to make the photos appear right side up! - perhaps another reader can help with this?)
My MY19 BRG looks exactly the same (and I paid a similar price) but is it (still) xirallic? How could we now for sure ...

Old 05-08-2018, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,598 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by Itismejoshy
BRG cost more on mine at purchase. Have the sticker someplace.
I realize that I am late to this (thread) party, but I have two theories why BRG might incur an additional cost.

1) It's a proven fact that owners of BRG are superior drivers, hence Jaguar/Land Rover's ability to increase prices.

Or

2) Jaguar/Land Rover got wind of 1 particular BRG owner who has done such wonderful and impressive modifications that they decided, "hey, I think we can start charging more for BRG".

Those are my theories and I'm sticking to them.

Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 PM
Old 05-09-2018, 12:36 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, its possible JLR just decided to go 'cheap' on the paint offerings after the initial launch (at some point, who knows when). It would seem nobody noticed too much....

'Xirallic' British Racing Green is currently offered as an SVO option (though that may not necessarily be the actual one they have listed as an F-Type option), but given that its an SVO paint, it would appear they are now charging SVO prices for Xirallic BRG on whatever vehicles they offer it on.

There is also 'Spectral British Racing Green' as the other SVO option for BRG, which is a chromaflair pixie dust paint.

BRG #5? Who knows what it is....?

Old 05-09-2018, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,185 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
Well, its possible JLR just decided to go 'cheap' on the paint offerings after the initial launch (at some point, who knows when). It would seem nobody noticed too much....

'Xirallic' British Racing Green is currently offered as an SVO option (though that may not necessarily be the actual one they have listed as an F-Type option), but given that its an SVO paint, it would appear they are now charging SVO prices for Xirallic BRG on whatever vehicles they offer it on.

There is also 'Spectral British Racing Green' as the other SVO option for BRG, which is a chromaflair pixie dust paint.

BRG #5? Who knows what it is....?
From my reading there have been several versions of Jaguar BRG over the years, some metallic some not, and probably more than five. I reckon they just make it up as they go!

Old 05-09-2018, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Originally Posted by Fleer

Any more info on this change from xirallic to metallic for BRG?
I don't remember any discussion of a change to the BRG. I remember a shift in flake size for IRR for 2016 or 17. Looking at my F-Type brochure library, they no longer referred to "Xirralic" for MY2016 for any color.

Last edited by Unhingd; 05-09-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

That chart matches the available colors for MY 2014-2016. The color palette changed for MY2017

Old 05-09-2018, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
I realize that I am late to this (thread) party, but I have two theories why BRG might incur an additional cost.

1) It's a proven fact that owners of BRG are superior drivers, hence Jaguar/Land Rover's ability to increase prices.

Or

2) Jaguar/Land Rover got wind of 1 particular BRG owner who has done such wonderful and impressive modifications that they decided, "hey, I think we can start charging more for BRG".

Those are my theories and I'm sticking to them.

The third more obvious theory is than people who like green car are verrückt, and can be charged boat loads of money for the car.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That chart matches the available colors for MY 2014-2016. The color palette changed for MY2017
Thanks, Unhingd. Any reference or discussion on that change?

Old 05-09-2018, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

The beautiful BRG Xirallic seems to be unavailable now. The 2018 Canadian-market F-Type brochure in front of me shows NO Xirallic formulations for this year. There is indeed a BRG paint but it is listed as among the "Metallic" formulations. There are SOLID - Fuji White and Caldera Red, METALLIC- Santorini Black, Yulong White,Corris Grey, Indus Silver, British Racing Green, Loire Blue and Ultra Blue, and PREMIUM - Carpathian Grey and Silicon Silver. No mention, nor sample of Xirallic; It is possible that the "Premium" colours may be Xirallic, but if so, why are they not described thus?

Quick Reply: British Racing Green only at a higher price?