F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

British Racing Green only at a higher price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 196 Posts

@sov211. Check the configurator on line : brochures are printed 6 months earlier..

Old 05-09-2018, 02:21 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the reference label in your driver’s door sill.
Mine reads “British Racing Green Metallic” (not xirallic) and I looooove that color. Shiny and effervescent with all sorts of color shifting during daytime, yet subdued and restrained for nighttime tuxedo action.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fleer
Check the reference label in your driver’s door sill.
Mine reads “British Racing Green Metallic” (not xirallic) and I looooove that color. Shiny and effervescent with all sorts of color shifting during daytime, yet subdued and restrained for nighttime tuxedo action.
I am really surprised to hear this. As I aimed for BRG since I had an MG-F in red, sold in 2000... But when I came to see "live" cars in BRG , it was OK in the sun and under the floodlights in the showroom..
But outside in a bit clouded weather, or when its getting dark, NO GLORY.. It wasn't much more then "off-black" , just as the dark bleu metallic : "off-black" ... I was really disappointed and had the choice
between a 2016MY V6 340hp in BRG [ 3000km, demo] or my new 4-Cylinder P300 in Ultra blue with DAB [ that for some strange reason no demo car has in the Netherlands..]. Also the V6 had the preformance
seats with bolsters, but about 3cm short of legroom... So I bought the P300 and had aftermarket bolsters fitted as these are 'not required' anymore according to JLR topdogs... .. that how disappointed I was in BRG...

I did see a RR Autobiography in the expensive green.. ..wow.. thats the business... But on a RR its an € 8500 option... Just enough to buy a nice metallic green UP! as a shopping trolley..

Marketing at JLR has definetely lost its marbles.. .. at least the BRG ones..

Old 05-09-2018, 03:04 PM

In fact, the original BRG wasn’t even metallic.
Actually this is my fourth leaping feline ... and since BRG is synonym for Jag in my book, I was quite pleased I could still order my MY19 the iconic way

Old 05-09-2018, 03:11 PM
Veteran Member

In fact, the original BRG wasn’t even metallic.
Actually this is my fourth leaping feline ... and since BRG is synonym for Jag in my book, I was quite pleased I could still order my MY19 the iconic way
So now for the catch : can you trace pictures of all 4 felines on the same spot parked in comparable weather, so we can see how and if BRG changed over the years...

The following users liked this post:
Fleer (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:38 PM

Right on.
In the meantime, the plot thickens, as I found this titbit (https://www.autobytel.com/jaguar/f-type/2016/color/).
Apparently older models also carried BRG (and IRR) as a metallic color (even if xirallic).
Here's wondering if anyone with a MY15 or MY16 F-Type has the "BRG Metallic" reference in the driver's door label.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member

Right on.
In the meantime, the plot thickens, as I found this titbit (https://www.autobytel.com/jaguar/f-type/2016/color/).
Apparently older models also carried BRG (and IRR) as a metallic color (even if xirallic).
Here's wondering if anyone with a MY15 or MY16 F-Type has the "BRG Metallic" reference in the driver's door label.
Thickens ? for me its an "eye-opener" ; also here the "green" and "bleu" are tones of black...

Old 05-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Interesting as well: 2018 Jaguar F Type Colors of Touch Up Paint
showing that the color was the same up to MY2018. And unavailable for MY2019, so I was lucky to get it in-between color specs changing.
Its code is: 1AL, 2129, HGY, JBC2129.
Also, apparently it's the same color as used on the XJ, although named "BRG Pearl" (and "IRR Pearl"): https://touchupdirect.com/touch-up-paint/jaguar/xj/

The following users liked this post:
Dan_NL (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_NL
Thickens ? for me its an "eye-opener" ; also here the "green" and "bleu" are tones of black...
The plot thickens, meaning that we're getting more info on whether JLR changed BRG in between model years.
Seems they did not. Only for MY19 they decided to up the ante with a much higher price for the same color (while adding a second one).
That said, don't see how this Dutchie could be called black: https://www.autojunk.nl/2014/10/jaguar-f-type-coupe-r-2

Last edited by Fleer; 05-09-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

A bit more info that I've run across. Color code for the Xirralic is HGY and in production through May 2015, part way through the MY 2016 production. Code 1AL was produced thereafter and referred to as metallic. This is the code I have for an early June 2015 production unit. The code is prominently displayed on that paint/trim label on the driver's side door frame.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A bit more info that I've run across. Color code for the Xirralic is HGY and in production through May 2015, part way through the MY 2016 production. Code 1AL was produced thereafter and referred to as metallic. This is the code I have for an early June 2015 production unit. The code is prominently displayed on that paint/trim label on the driver's side door frame.
Same here: 1AL on the door label (MY 2019).

Old 05-09-2018, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,210 Likes on 1,345 Posts

Right on.
That is not an authoritative source, however interesting. The older non-metallic BRG was code HGD (and I had this on my 2007 XK, see photos: the difference is apparent). The BRG Xirallic on my 2015 F-Type is code HGY- and the label on the door jamb says just that: HGY with no descriptor - presumably because the only BRG offered at that point was a Xirallic formulation. The addition of the word "metallic" (or, as others have written, the addition of 1AL) may well indicate the change from Xirallic to ordinary metallic (still beautiful!).
Looking at these two gorgeous machines reminds me that Jaguar keeps producing, and has always produced beautiful cars. From a visual standpoint the competition just can't come close - especially when they use the same basic design for almost 5 decades!

Attached Thumbnails British Racing Green only at a higher price?-xk-september-2013-005.jpg   British Racing Green only at a higher price?-f-type-001.jpg  

Last edited by sov211; 05-09-2018 at 05:38 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

The plot thickens, meaning that we're getting more info on whether JLR changed BRG in between model years.
Seems they did not. Only for MY19 they decided to up the ante with a much higher price for the same color (while adding a second one).
That said, don't see how this Dutchie could be called black: https://www.autojunk.nl/2014/10/jaguar-f-type-coupe-r-2
Well, what I wrote was :

'.. it was OK in the sun and under the floodlights in the showroom.. But outside in a bit clouded weather, or when its getting dark, NO GLORY..
It wasn't much more then "off-black" , just as the dark bleu metallic : "off-black" ...
".

So if you come up with a BRG car in the sun : yes, thats fine..

I found these taken on a clouded day, different models, througout the years. All near black if not in the sun !

Last edited by Dan_NL; 05-09-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Originally Posted by sov211
That is not an authoritative source, however interesting. The older non-metallic BRG was code HGD (and I had this on my 2007 XK, see photos: the difference is apparent). The BRG Xirallic on my 2015 F-Type is code HGY- and the label on the door jamb says just that: HGY with no descriptor - presumably because the only BRG offered at that point was a Xirallic formulation. The addition of the word "metallic" (or, as others have written, the addition of 1AL) may well indicate the change from Xirallic to ordinary metallic (still beautiful!).
Looking at these two gorgeous machines reminds me that Jaguar keeps producing, and has always produced beautiful cars. From a visual standpoint the competition just can't come close - especially when they use the same basic design for almost 5 decades!
Thanks, that clears things up.
That HGY (xirallic) seems more “flaky”, containing different “swirls” and indeed showing a brighter and lighter green than the newer, more subdued 1AL (with descriptor “BRG Metallic”). As I understand, production of xirallic paint depended on one Merck factory in Japan which resulted in delivery problems when an earthquake caused the production to halt and forced Merck to diversify and switch from xirallic to meoxal (http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...oreUserAgent=1).

Old 05-09-2018, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks, that clears things up.
That HGY (xirallic) seems more “flaky”, containing different “swirls” and indeed showing a brighter and lighter green than the newer, more subdued 1AL (with descriptor “BRG Metallic”). As I understand, production of xirallic paint depended on one Merck factory in Japan which resulted in delivery problems when an earthquake caused the production to halt and forced Merck to diversify and switch from xirallic to meoxal (http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...oreUserAgent=1).
Correct on all counts. The Xirallic is really a subtle but stunning (if that makes sense) interpretation of BRG. And it is true that BRG in all its variations can look almost black in the shade, In fact, after 3 years my wife for the first time saw my BRG XK in the sun: "I thought this car was black!?".

Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM

Actually, seems Merck stopped offering their patented Xirallic in BRG and their Xirallic NXT line carries no green at all (https://www.merckgroup.com/en/brands/pm/xirallic.html)

Old 05-09-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

Maybe $4900 is worth handpainted SVR in unique color?

Old 05-09-2018, 10:44 PM

I’m thinking the 1AL version of BRG is a good compromise between the somewhat bland HGD (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-color-190050/) and the swirly HGY.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:55 PM

Yet another titbit. Seems the patch up paint for both HGY and 1AL is one and the same, called BRG “Pearl”.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member

Yesterday I had the chance to do a comparison between the Xirallic BRG (on my F-Type) and the later (2017) non-Xirallic, metallic BRG on my son's F-Pace (the code on both cars, by the way, is the same HGY). The difference between the two paint formulations surprised me -even though I was prepared for it (I thought). The Xirallic is of a far more brilliant hue in the sun, and there is also a difference with the car in the shade. This is a subjective assessment, but the Xirallic, to me is far more dramatic and far more beautiful -in brief it has more life to it. Too bad about the loss of that formulation because it is significantly more attractive. The photo, clicked on, should rotate to proper orientation (no idea why the photo uploads on its end - and yes, this is a rotated file, so that is not the explanation.)- look at the glow of the Xirallic - completely different from the "metallic" BRG.

Attached Thumbnails British Racing Green only at a higher price?-img_1825.jpg  

Last edited by sov211; 05-14-2018 at 01:36 PM.

Quick Reply: British Racing Green only at a higher price?