Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buzzing Sound - Throttle Dependant

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
WJV
Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Buzzing Sound - Throttle Dependant

Turn your radio and A/C off, then depress the throttle and listen closely... What is that cheap plastic buzzing motor sound that seems to be emanating from behind the dash under acceleration? It seems to turn on and off as you depress and release the accelerator. It's "off" when there is no throttle applied and instantly "on" again when the slightest pressure is applied to the accelerator. It doesn't sound like it's the symposer as I've already bypassed that function and was able to replicate the same sound.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hmm, I did never notice any buzzing sound so far. I'll try to think about it the next time I take the car out for a drive, and pay attention whether I can hear any buzzing sound.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:16 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

A few folks have reported a buzzing A/C line, if I recall correctly. Not sure where that sound is located.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:47 PM
WJV

Originally Posted by DJS
A few folks have reported a buzzing A/C line, if I recall correctly. Not sure where that sound is located.
This was my first thought after some earlier research, but I ruled it out since the noise is present even with the A/C 'off'.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

I won’t try reproducing that buzzing. If I hear it just once, it’ll bug the crap out of me until somebody figures out what it is.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:40 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by WJV
Turn your radio and A/C off, then depress the throttle and listen closely... What is that cheap plastic buzzing motor sound that seems to be emanating from behind the dash under acceleration? It seems to turn on and off as you depress and release the accelerator. It's "off" when there is no throttle applied and instantly "on" again when the slightest pressure is applied to the accelerator. It doesn't sound like it's the symposer as I've already bypassed that function and was able to replicate the same sound.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I brought it up to the service adviser and was told that it is something that has to do with the supercharger and that it is a normal noise. I don't believe it. If you drive the car with the audio sys off, the high pitched buzzing (almost like electrical interference) sound is so obnoxious that it forces you to turn on the radio to drown it out!

I haven't been able to get anything done for it yet, hope someone here can figure it out!

The following users liked this post:
WJV (09-06-2018)
Old 09-05-2018, 02:41 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Did you turn off the climate control completely, or just the A/C? Maybe a loose harness, etc. swings into the blower fan under acceleration? Or the fan blade moves.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

If the service advisor reckons it's supercharger related he could be talking about the Symposer, even though that is induction related and nothing to do with the supercharger.
The Symposer is not supposed to operate until the revs get up there a bit and you are giving it some welly, but maybe this noise is caused by a faulty Symposer.
There is a thread around here about disabling the Symposer, just undo one simple bolt and shove a bit of foam or whatever in the top of the tube, 5 minute job tops, give it a try and see if the buzz goes away or at least reduces.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 03:15 PM
WJV

Originally Posted by DJS
Did you turn off the climate control completely, or just the A/C? Maybe a loose harness, etc. swings into the blower fan under acceleration? Or the fan blade moves.
Originally Posted by OzXFR
If the service advisor reckons it's supercharger related he could be talking about the Symposer, even though that is induction related and nothing to do with the supercharger.
The Symposer is not supposed to operate until the revs get up there a bit and you are giving it some welly, but maybe this noise is caused by a faulty Symposer.
There is a thread around here about disabling the Symposer, just undo one simple bolt and shove a bit of foam or whatever in the top of the tube, 5 minute job tops, give it a try and see if the buzz goes away or at least reduces.
Yea the climate control is completely OFF when experiencing this noise. And the symposer has already been eliminated as the culprit. Sounds like it may be considered normal. Once you hear it, you can't unhear it.

Old 09-06-2018, 03:23 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

I wouldn't think you'd hear it in the coupe, but the active exhaust vacuum pump sounds like a buzzing heat shield, and toggles on/off around idle speeds. I find it irritating (along with my squeaky exhaust valves), so I pulled fuse F43. Doubt this is what you're hearing.

Old 09-06-2018, 06:34 PM
WJV

Originally Posted by DJS
I wouldn't think you'd hear it in the coupe, but the active exhaust vacuum pump sounds like a buzzing heat shield, and toggles on/off around idle speeds. I find it irritating (along with my squeaky exhaust valves), so I pulled fuse F43. Doubt this is what you're hearing.
Thanks awfully. This could be it. Someone hijacked my fuse puller so I’ll have to try this tomorrow.

Last edited by WJV; 09-06-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31 AM
DJS
Veteran Member

The pump is located behind the left wheel well, so I don't know if that's what you're hearing. But sounds exactly like a buzzing heat shield to me.

Also note that if you pull that fuse, the active exhaust valves will always be open, which is interesting (and loud.) If the vacuum pump turns out to be the issue, you can have them perform a TSB to remove it, and run a vacuum line back from the engine.

In regards to your fuse puller, I spent an hour the other day looking for my needle-nose pliers. You just reminded me that they're in the F-type glove compartment - I took them to the Wild Blueberry Blast, so I could pull the fuse there. Thanks!

Last edited by DJS; 09-07-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I can hear the same buzz in my F-type when the stereo is off and the exhaust isnt trumpeting. Since many users experience this it is obviously not a fault, just a test to see if you still have sensitive ears :-)

Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 PM
WJV

Originally Posted by F-Type-Type
I can hear the same buzz in my F-type when the stereo is off and the exhaust isnt trumpeting. Since many users experience this it is obviously not a fault, just a test to see if you still have sensitive ears :-)
I feel like the whole car needs to be gutted and dynamatted. The more I drive it the more it sounds like I’m driving a tin can. I get the car’s aluminum but come on, a little sound deadening on a vehicle of this caliber wouldn’t hurt. Might see how much a shop would charge to do something like that. At least do the doors and behind the seats.

I can also hear the A/C line buzzing now with the windows down. I’ve got a nice long list of things for the dealer to look into the next time I take it in. They’ll have a good time chasing all the noises

i did pull the fuse, sounds better and nearly drowns out the other noises..nearly.

Old 09-08-2018, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Luck of the draw: At 3 years and 27k miles, mine is still solid as ever, even with the H&R suspension. No creaking, rattling or buzzing.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Luck of the draw: At 3 years and 27k miles, mine is still solid as ever, even with the H&R suspension. No creaking, rattling or buzzing.
Love my car, but same mileage and mine sounds like a tackle box bouncing down stairs. So did my XF. And so did the F PACE with 11 miles on it that I tested yesterday.

Old 09-08-2018, 05:38 PM
DJS
Veteran Member

Huh. At 47k miles, my only noise complaints are the active exhaust pump, and squeaky exhaust valves. Pulling the fuse fixes both.

Old 08-20-2019, 05:38 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

My car is also rattling/buzzing during acceleration:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3ts0xs3z0...24620.mp4?dl=0

Anyone have any idea what this could be?

Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ss23
My car is also rattling/buzzing during acceleration:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u3ts0xs3z0...24620.mp4?dl=0

Anyone have any idea what this could be?
A frequent cause is a loose A/C line in the engine compartment.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:46 PM
Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I get this exact noise in my 'vert as well and it is throttle dependent.

Quick Reply: Buzzing Sound - Throttle Dependant