F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you hear the exhaust valves open?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 01:05 AM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

This is great. So the valves are working as planned with(out) the VAP tune. Seems dynamic on, active exhaust on the valves are always open. dynamic off, active exhaust on the valve are open majority of the time under certain conditions, one of them being under ~1.5k rpm they are typically closed and open under acceleration, load, and speed. This basically confirms what I am experiencing.

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
This is great. So the valves are working as planned with(out) the VAP tune. Seems dynamic on, active exhaust on the valves are always open. dynamic off, active exhaust on the valve are open majority of the time under certain conditions, one of them being under ~1.5k rpm they are typically closed and open under acceleration, load, and speed. This basically confirms what I am experiencing.
Thanks, I just learned something new. I always use the dynamic button to turn on the loud. I think I actually used the loud button only once just to test it. With the placement on the MT console, it's hard to reach and not very visible.

Old 01-13-2017, 01:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

When I start my car I usually put the exhaust on (whatever, I mean I push the button). When my drivers side door is open I hear a metallic scrape/vibration noise, like "vvvvvvv!" for about a second coming from the front half of the car. Today I realised it coincided with pushing the exhaust button. Would that be the valves opening?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
When I start my car I usually put the exhaust on (whatever, I mean I push the button). When my drivers side door is open I hear a metallic scrape/vibration noise, like "vvvvvvv!" for about a second coming from the front half of the car. Today I realised it coincided with pushing the exhaust button. Would that be the valves opening?
Most likely, but it should not be coming from the front of the car, (maybe the sound is bouncing?), should be coming from the rear.

BruceTheQuail (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 07:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone know at what rpm is the valve supposed to open during acceleration with dynamic and sport mode on and loud button off?

Old 01-14-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Guest1
Anyone know at what rpm is the valve supposed to open during acceleration with dynamic and sport mode on and loud button off?
From what I can tell it's based on a lot of variables. It is not as simple as if(over > xRPM) then open valve.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:36 AM
Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Here is a clip of the functionality of my valves with active exhaust switch on. Guessing this is not normal. I have a closed valve at low RPM when in loud mode. https://youtu.be/PbMn1nPzLCQ
Do you recall whether your exhaust valves are fully open when the car is turned off, after being in normal mode, or 6hrs after dynamic mode? According to the literature provided, upon start up and <1100 rpm, the valves are to be in the open position.

When I checked this morning before starting my car, my driver's side valve was in the open position, but my passenger side was only slightly open, not fully open.

See pics: First two pics are of my driver's side with the valve open, next two pics are of my passenger side with the valve only slightly open.

As the car warms up/ >1100 rpm, both valves closed, which is normal according to the chart.

Attached Thumbnails Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-img_5173.jpg   Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-img_5174.jpg   Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-img_5176.jpg   Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-img_5178.jpg   Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-exhaust-lit.png  

Can you hear the exhaust valves open?-exhaust-chart.png  
Old 08-11-2017, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member

On my car, the valves are definitely wide open before start up. However, they close immediately after the initial engine rev. Then of course the dynamic button gets pressed. You apparently have one bad valve, which means the entire muffler will be replaced.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
On my car, the valves are definitely wide open before start up. However, they close immediately after the initial engine rev. Then of course the dynamic button gets pressed. You apparently have one bad valve, which means the entire muffler will be replaced.
You think they will replace the entire muffler or just address the vacuum hose that operates that valve? Ironically, the tech that did my recent State Inspection made note that my vacuum hoses were functioning properly, as I was questioning a noise unrelated to the exhaust. Is this why some folks have had their mufflers replaced, b/c of the valves? I thought I read they had their mufflers replaced b/c of a noise. Is there a bulletin I can show my dealer?

I hate making these trips back to the dealer. I'm going to play around with it some more before making an appt.--check and see how open they are in dynamic, with active exhaust button on, etc... Perhaps this could be related to the car break-in period. I only have 670 miles on the clock?

Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

If the valve is hanging half open, it's not a vacuum hose issue. The valves do not appear to be offered as replacement parts. The whole muffler needs to be replaced.

Last edited by Unhingd; 08-12-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: sp
Kief (08-11-2017)
Old 08-12-2017, 04:38 AM

If the valve is ganging half open, it's not a vacuum hose issue. The valves do not appear to be offered as replacement parts. The whole muffler needs to be replaced.

I did find my passenger side valve does not open completely, only about 50% open, the driver side is fully open.
Reading this thread again, I see zmoothg noticed the same issue with his passenger side valve not opening completely, just like with my pictures I posted yesterday. However, in this same thread, zmoothg later posts that his exhaust is working as intended.

So zmoothg, did you ever end up bringing in your car and showing them your partially opened passenger exhaust valve? Was your muffler ultimately replaced by the dealer? I also thought I read another one of your posts related to a different thread where you were having trouble replicating the crackle and pops. I think my '17 R is acting just like yours, and I would like to be as educated as possible before making an appt with the dealer.

Last edited by Kief; 08-12-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Kief
I also thought I read another one of your posts related to a different thread where you were having trouble replicating the crackle and poops.
I would think that would be a blessing.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:24 AM

I would think that would be a blessing.

My pictures above do have a certain resemblance to a colonoscopy!

Old 08-14-2017, 01:28 AM

Jaguar completely replaced my exhaust. The valves were malfunctioning and not opening or closing all the way on the passenger side. Mine was also making a funny rattling noise on acceleration.

Kief (08-14-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 05:30 AM

Jaguar completely replaced my exhaust. The valves were malfunctioning and not opening or closing all the way on the passenger side. Mine was also making a funny rattling noise on acceleration.
So with your replaced Jaguar exhaust, did your valves work properly or did your passenger side always act up (i.e., not open/close completely)?

Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 AM

So with your replaced Jaguar exhaust, did your valves work properly or did your passenger side always act up (i.e., not open/close completely)?
Everything open and closed fully and properly, no more issues with the valves locking up. It was a defect.

Kief (08-16-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:17 AM

Everything open and closed fully and properly, no more issues with the valves locking up. It was a defect.
I sent my dealer the pics I took above highlighting how my passenger side valve does not open fully. Understandably they would first have to examine my car before installing a new exhaust, but I'm upfront that I don't want to waste my time making an appt, schlepping in, only for them to later say they cannot duplicate the problem! The service manager was going to compare my pics to an R on their lot. Both of my valves appear to completely shut properly, it's just the passenger side valve opens only about 75-80%--maybe this normal?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:21 AM

I sent my dealer the pics I took above highlighting how my passenger side valve does not open fully. Understandably they would first have to examine my car before installing a new exhaust, but I'm upfront that I don't want to waste my time making an appt, schlepping in, only for them to later say they cannot duplicate the problem! The service manager was going to compare my pics to an R on their lot. Both of my valves appear to completely shut properly, it's just the passenger side valve opens only about 75-80%--maybe this normal?
Both should open exactly the same, which is nearly parallel with the pipe but slightly slanted. There is definitely a defect here. Either cleaning the valve or replacement will be needed. In my opinion