F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Progress made. Scanned the entire car and all bits and pieces I'm looking towards designing (Splitter diffuser, side skirt ) Along with the engine panels. I should have models complete and tooling ready to be the end of next week. We are out of NASCAR build season, so I should be able to have these molds machined rather quickly.

In case anyone is curious, the dots are a reflective positioning for the laser/ white light reference. Used around 1500 I believe (And yes they are stickers , so I was buffing residue off for hours).
I'm using a Creaform 700 and a GoScan50 to scan the car and parts.
The 700 gives a resolution of 0.050mm and up to 0.030mm accuracy. 7 Laser crosses aid in a good quality scan for a perfect fit of the parts I'll be designing.
Some photos of the process below. I'm thinking about making a quick mold for the rear wheel molding flare as well, in carbon. I'll work on the aesthetics and see if I can design something a little more aggressive. Look forward to some awesome sketches soon as you guys can help select which designs I move forward with.

I'll keep you guys updated with the mold process.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 09:49 AM
Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Some photos of the process below.
Looks like an interesting process. I can see how the laser scanning/mapping system captures the external dimensions of a piece, but how do you capture the mounting points/screw holes/tabs that are used to affix the pieces to the car without disassembling the pieces and scanning them individually?

I'm thinking about making a quick mold for the rear wheel molding flare as well, in carbon. I'll work on the aesthetics and see if I can design something a little more aggressive.
Very cool. I had those pieces wrapped in CF on mine as well, and it does look much nicer, though given their size it isn't noticeable unless you're looking specifically at those parts.

You might also want to scan the interior console pieces to create molds for those too. They just pop out as 3 pieces and should be easily scannable.

Look forward to some awesome sketches soon as you guys can help select which designs I move forward with.

I'll keep you guys updated with the mold process.
Nice! I look forward to your progress and sketches/models/designs.

FrickenJag (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Former Sponsor

Only way to capture the mounts, screws , tabs is to remove the parts and scan both sides to generate a full surface model.
For instance, I scanned the center rear bumper diffuser on the car to make sure I had an accurate mounted position with no flex, then removed and scanned the backside mount tabs and bolt hole locations. Its certainly not a short process to do everything. Did the same with the engine bay covers as the factory plastic flexes a little when installed.

You're attention to detail seems to be similar to my own. I was thinking a similar shape, just more robust and follow the arch around a little more.

Pertaining to console parts, yes yes and more yes. This is something I've been debating. Is it better to carbon wrap, or make a mold. The downside with mold is I need to locate an additive tab for the factory mount locations, fixture for location tabs properly etc. Or with wrapping the factory trim in carbon you can use a 0.25mm weave that shouldn't throw off edges. If the was enough interest in carbon interior items, I would move forward with mold / tooling cost.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also be interested in exterior C-fiber parts.

FrickenJag (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Update. I'm wrapping up the mold files for the carbon covers and all is looking good. I just need to setup the programming for the mill and we will have things rolling.
Below is an image of the mold file for the passenger side cover. I'm sticking to a factory (non-aftermarket) appearance. Just a nice enhancement to the engine bay.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Last edited by FrickenJag; 08-18-2015 at 02:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by FrickenJag:
burnie (08-19-2015), Foosh (08-18-2015), sherbercars (12-31-2015), themeatbaron (08-19-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 11:13 AM
Former Sponsor

Final Front Radiator cover mold. I'll start on the milling process and should have some final parts soon.

Once these panels are complete, the next step I'm going to design a full carbon throttle to filter induction for the F-type.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

JgaXkr (08-22-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 02:45 PM
Former Sponsor

Update. I finally have a few guys lined up with quotes for machining molds.

I'm going to see how many people are truly interested in these, then pull the trigger on the molds as they are certainly not cheap.

I'm trying to keep pricing as fair as possible as I would like to see these on many cars and not just my own toys. No added labels to parts. Clean factory replacement look.

Rough ball park estimate for the panels are as follows:
Left and Right covers will be around 500$ /piece.
Front Large Radiator cover will be around 700$.
Total Kit will retail :~1700$

Package sale for all panels 1400$ for early bird discounts.

I'm going to match the twill that is on the exterior Jaguar parts. These are direct full carbon replacements. USA manufactured. No covers, or overlays etc. Colored carbon fiber may be options soon as well.

I will have induction tubing setups for both 4.2L and 5.0L setups to match soon.

If any one is seriously interested perhaps we can start a poll. I should have some finished parts in a few weeks depending on when I bite the bullet for machining tools.

Best Regards,

Derek Fricke

Old 09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

What about the engine cover?

FrickenJag (09-14-2015)
Old 09-14-2015, 04:14 PM
Former Sponsor

That's on my too-do list as well. One of the parts next in line. I will be able to reproduce the factor R-S cover or slightly tweak it to look even better.
Assuming there is some interest in that along with these parts I'll design the mold and surely be much cheaper than the factory price, with equal quality and fitment.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member

That's on my too-do list as well. One of the parts next in line. I will be able to reproduce the factor R-S cover or slightly tweak it to look even better.
Assuming there is some interest in that along with these parts I'll design the mold and surely be much cheaper than the factory price, with equal quality and fitment.
It seems to me that would be a higher priority than the radiator cover and other under-hood pieces. Most people interested in carbon fiber under the hood would want the engine cover first, and perhaps add the other pieces later. That's where most eyes go when looking under the hood.

FrickenJag (09-15-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, I considered that as well when first diving in. Biggriff has produced a carbon cover that fits the 5.0L setups. So I held back on that for now. For the 4.2L setups, I much rather have the Engine cover removed as the engine has a nice appearance. The other thought was I'm not too sure why the engine cover is there anyhow. On the XKR-S model and the XKR-S-GT, the cover is removed. More than likely for better air flow. Hence, I was led to offer something that wasn't already out there. I plan on making a nicely designed cover with louvers in the near future.

See Biggriff's carbon cover below:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-cover-145441/

Thanks for the input,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-15-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

So, why not build one for the 3.0L where no options are available and top of the block is fugly?

FrickenJag (09-16-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
So, why not build one for the 3.0L where no options are available and top of the block is fugly?
Yes, exactly!

FrickenJag (09-16-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 11:57 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Hey! My car resembles this remark!

FrickenJag (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:06 AM
Former Sponsor

I was thinking that the 5.0L cover fit the V6 as well, is this not the case? I figured jaguar would have made the two the same to encourage purchasing of their carbon unit.
Has anyone checked the fitment? If this is something you guys desire to purchase I'll certainly design one that fits. I just need to scan the engine bay of a V6 and V6s. If the factory 5.0L fits with some slight trimming that would speed things up.
When I do start on the cover, what I will do is put together a few iterations of the design and you guys can help me tailor the design to what you like. This way its a group effort and everyone can contribute in the aesthetic parts.

Additionally,
Anyone that purchases the 3-Panel replacements, will receive a 25+% discount on the final carbon engine cover once I reverse engineer it. If I can line up a few people that are interested, I will justify investing in the scanning/reverse engineering/and tooling the engine cover while I'm doing the intake tubing.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Last edited by FrickenJag; 09-16-2015 at 09:13 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrickenJag:
BierNut (09-16-2015), Foosh (09-16-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:10 AM
Veteran Member

I was thinking that the 5.0L cover fit the V6 as well, is this not the case? I figured jaguar would have made the two the same to encourage purchasing of their carbon unit.
Has anyone checked the fitment? If this is something you guys desire to purchase I'll certainly design one that fits. I just need to scan the engine bay of a V6 and V6s. If the factory 5.0L fits with some slight trimming that would speed things up.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
Not sure about the fitment. They look the same on the outside. We know the two blocks are the same. While I doubt it, the clips underneath may be located differently. I don't have access to a V8 to check.

I would like to see a price quote.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
While I doubt it, the clips underneath may be located differently.
While I don't think there should be a difference either, all the catalogs I've seen specify the carbon option (T2R8019)to be for the V8 only.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Update. I finally have a few guys lined up with quotes for machining molds.

I'm going to see how many people are truly interested in these, then pull the trigger on the molds as they are certainly not cheap.

I'm trying to keep pricing as fair as possible as I would like to see these on many cars and not just my own toys. No added labels to parts. Clean factory replacement look.

Rough ball park estimate for the panels are as follows:
Left and Right covers will be around 500$ /piece.
Front Large Radiator cover will be around 700$.
Total Kit will retail :~1700$

Package sale for all panels 1400$ for early bird discounts.

I'm going to match the twill that is on the exterior Jaguar parts. These are direct full carbon replacements. USA manufactured. No covers, or overlays etc. Colored carbon fiber may be options soon as well.

I will have induction tubing setups for both 4.2L and 5.0L setups to match soon.

If any one is seriously interested perhaps we can start a poll. I should have some finished parts in a few weeks depending on when I bite the bullet for machining tools.

Best Regards,

Derek Fricke

I would be interested in the whole kit, including the engine cover.

Will all fit the 2016 R?

FrickenJag (09-18-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 02:54 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd be interested at that price range for the whole kit.
I'd be a lot more interested in the Project 7 aero kit!

Thanks, Wayne

FrickenJag (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MI-FType
I would be interested in the whole kit, including the engine cover.

Will all fit the 2016 R?
Yes MI it fits the F-types as well. Thanks for your interest.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler