Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
I'd be interested at that price range for the whole kit.
I'd be a lot more interested in the Project 7 aero kit!

Thanks, Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Give me some time and and I'll get on the aero kit. There are enough of you guys to support me designing the parts. Just need to recoup some of the tooling for these other projects and I'll invest into making everything. I'll do what I can to support any projects you guys are interested in. I'm dying to get my hands into designing that rear diffuser.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by FrickenJag
Thanks Wayne. Give me some time and and I'll get on the aero kit. There are enough of you guys to support me designing the parts. Just need to recoup some of the tooling for these other projects and I'll invest into making everything. I'll do what I can to support any projects you guys are interested in. I'm dying to get my hands into designing that rear diffuser.
Derek,
It seems like you are spreading yourself too thinly and getting too distracted looking onward to the next project(s). You might make faster progress if you focus on and finish one project at a time. Many of us are eagerly and anxiously awaiting your first product(s) for the F-Type.

The following users liked this post:
FrickenJag (09-20-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Indeed I have many projects going on at the moment, but each is a waiting game as things are tooled, fixtures made, parts ordered, scanning etc. I'm not taking on any additional projects until I wrap up the current ones , so don't worry. I'm actually managing everything with a flow chart in Microsoft project to make sure I keep everything running smoothly.

I finally have all the quotes in on tooling for the carbon molds. Now its just a matter of pulling the trigger to make them. I'm just making sure there is enough interest in these parts to move forward with the high expense of the tools.

If I can have 6 guys secure their interest in the panels for the approximated pricing I'm going to move forward and justify the expense. Seems we have a couple guys so far.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-22-2015, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Side note guys.
Since it's been mentioned a few times, I went ahead and ordered the 5.0L covers to reverse engine in carbon with this kit as well. Hope to have this reverse engineered in a few weeks.

If we have a few more people express interest in the discounted first pricing I'll pull trigger on the molds. These will be a satisfaction guaranteed package. I can supply them in a matt-finish carbon or a polished carbon that matches the stock exterior Jaguar offered carbon.

Anyone that purchases the panel kit, will receive a strong discount on the engine cover once complete.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

MI-FType (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Side note guys.
Since it's been mentioned a few times, I went ahead and ordered the 5.0L covers to reverse engine in carbon with this kit as well. Hope to have this reverse engineered in a few weeks.

If we have a few more people express interest in the discounted first pricing I'll pull trigger on the molds. These will be a satisfaction guaranteed package. I can supply them in a matt-finish carbon or a polished carbon that matches the stock exterior Jaguar offered carbon.

Anyone that purchases the panel kit, will receive a strong discount on the engine cover once complete.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
Derek,

Several 3.0 owners have expressed an interest in the engine cover. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen a price quoted for that. It would also be nice if you could find out if the same cover fits 5.0 and 3.0.

I'm not so much interested in the ancillary pieces (e.g. radiator cover and side pieces) you quoted prices on above.

FrickenJag (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks Foosh. I spoke with the wise Guru tech at Jag, the engine cover is the same for the 3.0 and 5.0L. I went ahead and ordered one which should be here in a few days. I'll have to look at how the tabs hold the cover in place and see how to approach designing it. Initial thoughts based upon size of carbon, I'm should be able to price somewhere under 950$. I can give a better quote once I get into engineering it.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Foosh (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Veteran Member

Great. I'm in at that price.

Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

I'm assuming you're planning to duplicate the OEM logos?

FrickenJag (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 PM
Received 135 Likes on 107 Posts

Side note guys.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
That's great news Derek! I am definitely in for the whole kit.

FrickenJag (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Thanks MI-Ftype

Foosh,
I'm planning on something similar but refined and very nice. Possibly increasing the Font size for JAGUAR where it is embossed in the carbon possibly the supercharged as well rather an additive decal. Once I reverse engineer it, I will do a couple revisions for designs. I'll take everyone's input so that we can generate something unique but still stick to the F-Type /XKR look.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks MI-Ftype

Foosh,
I'm planning on something similar but refined and very nice. Possibly increasing the Font size for JAGUAR where it is embossed in the carbon possibly the supercharged as well rather an additive decal. Once I reverse engineer it, I will do a couple revisions for designs. I'll take everyone's input so that we can generate something unique but still stick to the F-Type /XKR look.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
OK, but one of the nice subtle touches on the OEM cover is that the "supercharged" badge on each side is cleverly visible under the mesh hood vents of V6 RWD models at least.

The hood vents of '16 AWD models are in a different place, due to the hood bulge and different engine mounting necessary to accommodate the front differential. The V8 hood vents of RWD models are in the same place, but are a different design, although the the logo may be visible on them as well.

FrickenJag (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:07 AM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

with all due respect to FrickenJag, who appears to be doing great work here and making great progress in developing some CF parts for the F-Type... In the interest of full disclosure to all members of this forum interested in CF accessories, I was told a few days ago by another F-Type owner that Mina Galleries is in the process of producing a full range of exterior CF accessories:
front splitters, side skirts, rear valance, etc.

FrickenJag (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Foosh
OK, but one of the nice subtle touches on the OEM cover is that the "supercharged" badge on each side is cleverly visible under the mesh hood vents of V6 RWD models at least.

The hood vents of '16 AWD models are in a different place, due to the hood bulge and different engine mounting necessary to accommodate the front differential. The V8 hood vents of RWD models are in the same place, but are a different design, although the the logo may be visible on them as well.
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll make sure to incorporate something similar or that exact badge, if purchasable.

No prob IronMike. The more the merrier when it comes to product development. Mina has done a great job with offering factory replacements and Carbon/chrome covers etc.

On the performance side, once I move towards splitter/diffuser designs my focus will be more on computational fluid dynamic based benefits. Any exterior components I do will be for lowering coefficient of drag and increasing performance with supported calculations and data.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 09-23-2015, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Derek,

Several 3.0 owners have expressed an interest in the engine cover. Unless I missed it, I haven't seen a price quoted for that. It would also be nice if you could find out if the same cover fits 5.0 and 3.0.

I'm not so much interested in the ancillary pieces (e.g. radiator cover and side pieces) you quoted prices on above.
+1. My interest is identical.

Old 10-07-2015, 03:21 PM
Former Sponsor

I pulled the trigger to machine the molds. Should have prototypes complete in a few weeks.
I'll post pics once I get the molds in.

I have the engine cover waiting to be scanned for reverse engineering. I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress with that.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 10-07-2015, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

I pulled the trigger to machine the molds. Should have prototypes complete in a few weeks.
I'll post pics once I get the molds in.

I have the engine cover waiting to be scanned for reverse engineering. I'll keep you guys updated as I make progress with that.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
I'll ship you my V6 cover if you want to size that up.

FrickenJag (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by lhoboy
I'll ship you my V6 cover if you want to size that up.
That would be greatly appreciated. If you are able to post a pic and part number , we could start there. If different, It would be helpful to use yours for scanning for the V6 setups. We can give you a great discount for helping out.

Regards,
Derek Fricke

Old 10-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

That would be greatly appreciated. If you are able to post a pic and part number , we could start there. If different, It would be helpful to use yours for scanning for the V6 setups. We can give you a great discount for helping out.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
I'm on it. I'll PM you with the pics and try to get the part number by this weekend.

FrickenJag (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:04 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Foosh. I spoke with the wise Guru tech at Jag, the engine cover is the same for the 3.0 and 5.0L. I went ahead and ordered one which should be here in a few days. I'll have to look at how the tabs hold the cover in place and see how to approach designing it. Initial thoughts based upon size of carbon, I'm should be able to price somewhere under 950$. I can give a better quote once I get into engineering it.

Regards,
Derek Fricke
Derek,

Did I miss a new development? I thought you'd determined that 3.0 and 5.0 covers were the same.

FrickenJag (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Just making sure the information relayed to me is accurate Foosh. As an engineer, I've come to know checking 3-4 times isnt a bad thing.

Foosh (10-08-2015)

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Panels Feeler