F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic brakes squeaking

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ceramic brakes squeaking

i know ceramic brakes squeak, but they seem to be more noticeable. The car has 20,000 miles. I would not have thought the brakes would be ready to be replaced at this point. Anyone know how long they're lasting or if I should be concerned? Anyone know how much they cost to replace?

Old 08-25-2017, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

20,000 miles is around normal for the pads on the iron brakes to wear out, and many find the rear pads are shot at even 10,000 miles, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if the CCM pads are worn out at 20,000 miles.
My copy of the Service Manual shows the following specs for the front CCM brakes (I don't have CCM brakes and it doesn't show the rear specs, go figure!):

Pad thickness new: 14.25 mm / .55"
Minimum pad thickness: 3 mm / .118"
Rotor thickness new: 38 mm / 1.49"
Minimum rotor thickness: 37.5 mm / 1.47".

This tells me that the CCM brakes are designed to wear the pads very quickly and the rotors hardly at all, bit of a no-brainer when you consider the cost of pads vs the cost of rotors.

Old 08-25-2017, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This tells me that the CCM brakes are designed to wear the pads very quickly and the rotors hardly at all, bit of a no-brainer when you consider the cost of pads vs the cost of rotors.
Correct, check your pad thickness. 20k service for CCB is normal.

Old 08-26-2017, 04:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Strange, as JLR maintain that the CCMs will never need changing due to wear as one of the benefits over iron disks.

Old 08-26-2017, 05:24 AM

Thanks for the info. I just had regularly scheduled service which is why I'm a little perplexed. I guess I should call but I would have thought they would have changed the pads.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:38 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

the rotors don't need replacing as often (especially with street only usage). you want to change the pads more often on ccm brakes. as the pads wear ... they will, in turn, wear our the rotors more quickly.

Last edited by ShaunPA; 08-26-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

If you needed pads you'd be notified on the cluster as they have pad wear sensors. I have carbon ceramics as well and a bit over 20k miles and there's plenty of pad left and I do drive like a mental case.
Carbon ceramic squeak A BIT, it is just a part of their characteristics, you can minimize it a bit but you'll never get rid of it. I've worked on porches, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, etc, with carbon ceramic brakes and they all squeak a bit to a certain degree, the squeak will also vary a bit depending on disc and pad temps...

Old 08-28-2017, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mpowerr
If you needed pads you'd be notified on the cluster as they have pad wear sensors. I have carbon ceramics as well and a bit over 20k miles and there's plenty of pad left and I do drive like a mental case.
Carbon ceramic squeak A BIT, it is just a part of their characteristics, you can minimize it a bit but you'll never get rid of it. I've worked on porches, Lamborghini, Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, etc, with carbon ceramic brakes and they all squeak a bit to a certain degree, the squeak will also vary a bit depending on disc and pad temps...
I have noticed them squeaking a bit in the past. But now it's significantly more noticeable. I emailed JLR service. I'll see what they say.