F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Fault

This is my first Jaguar. I just bought a 2014 F Type S. It was love at first sight. I have had the Charging System Fault warning light show up several times. Took into Dealership and they did a SW update. On my way home from dealership the light came back on. Good thing she is still under warranty. I truly hope that this car is not going to be a big headache. The service guy was right on when he said that my Jaguar is like dating a hot girl as she is high maintenance but nice to look at. Well I am a girl so I guess she and I have a lot in common. I love the car but would like to enjoy her without the darn warning light. I was told that it was a SW issue and the car will not break down on me. I sure hope that is accurate.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaguar4Me
This is my first Jaguar. I just bought a 2014 F Type S. It was love at first sight. I have had the Charging System Fault warning light show up several times. Took into Dealership and they did a SW update. On my way home from dealership the light came back on. Good thing she is still under warranty. I truly hope that this car is not going to be a big headache. The service guy was right on when he said that my Jaguar is like dating a hot girl as she is high maintenance but nice to look at. Well I am a girl so I guess she and I have a lot in common. I love the car but would like to enjoy her without the darn warning light. I was told that it was a SW issue and the car will not break down on me. I sure hope that is accurate.
What is the exact verbiage of the warning light? Similar to other issues, it might resolve if you reboot the systems by disconnecting one of the battery leads for 10+ seconds. These cats respond well to love and affection as long as you get familiar with their little quirks.

Welcome to the forum.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguar4Me (04-26-2017)
Old 04-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the red "charging system fault" at one point. The battery re-boot method did not work for me. It turned out the jag needed a new alternator because the valve cover was dripping a bit of oil and causing failure. All fixed now and no more charging system fault (or any other issues). I think I had a bit of bad luck because I have not heard of anyone having the oil leak issue with their car. If you can post exactly what the fault light says (and what color it is), someone like Unhingd might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Don't despair - these Jags are not the jags of our fathers and grandfathers. They definitely have some identified quirks, but they are very manageable vehicles.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by CDSsilver
I had the red "charging system fault" at one point. The battery re-boot method did not work for me. It turned out the jag needed a new alternator because the valve cover was dripping a bit of oil and causing failure. All fixed now and no more charging system fault (or any other issues). I think I had a bit of bad luck because I have not heard of anyone having the oil leak issue with their car. If you can post exactly what the fault light says (and what color it is), someone like Unhingd might be able to steer you in the right direction.

Don't despair - these Jags are not the jags of our fathers and grandfathers. They definitely have some identified quirks, but they are very manageable vehicles.
Thank you so much. You are right I took it back to Jag for second time and they are replacing the alternator and battery and all covered under warranty. They said that this is not common so I guess I had some bad luck too. The good thing is that i get a new alternator and battery and they let me drive a brand new XF for loaner. I will hang in there and hope that I don't have any further issues and it will be a fun car for many years. The service advisor said that my Jag is like having a hot girlfriend. High maintenance and nice to look at. I am a little high maintenance myself so I guess we make good pair.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:27 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

The service advisor said that my Jag is like having a hot girlfriend. High maintenance and nice to look at
Honestly, in 3 years and 19k miles all my car has needed is routine oil changes - its been totally reliable so far.

Old 04-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by ek993
Honestly, in 3 years and 19k miles all my car has needed is routine oil changes - its been totally reliable so far.
Good to hear that. Thank you. Yes I was getting little nervous thinking I made a wrong decision but I am going to ride it out and she still has 9 months of warranty on her. I absolutely love the car and I feel like a movie star when I drive it.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Most here seem to have few troubles. There were a few widely known issues that have generally been taken care of, and overall reliability is quite good. I'm nearing my second annual service and have a few things to point out to the Service Adviser, but nothing that's bringing me in early.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

The service advisor said that my Jag is like having a hot girlfriend. . .
A bit of an understatement. More like a drop dead gorgeous girlfriend that can sing and dance like an A-list star.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:32 PM
Default Charging system and other woes

I wish I could be the bearer of better news but sadly that isn't the case. Let me start by saying that I love my F Type.

It appears that there is a design flaw in the F Type where there is an oil seal above the alternator. If that fails at all then oil drips on the alternator, degrades its performance and eventually causes it to fail. At this point (with less than 20k miles) my alternator has been replaced three times and I have just got a new set of "charging system fault' warnings.

In addition to this I also had a total failure of the KVM that grants access to the car, which means that even using the key blade won't get you in. Add to this two sets of problems preventing the car entering eco mode and this is testing the limit of my love for the car to the very limit.

Hopefully the the rest of you fair better. I foresee more calls to Jaguar Land Rover NA in my future.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Default Moved On

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. That makes sense of why the Alternator would go bad after 20k miles. While my car was at the Jaguar Dealership getting Alternator replaced they broke an Air Intake Pipe to Engine and they tried to hide it from me and put sealant on the crack that they did. I had an engine light come on and sure enough it was from the broken air intake pipe. Took to Dealership and they were almost not going to fix it under warranty and said that they did not do it. They also said that the sealant they put on the crack was a good enough repair. Really. They had my car for over 5 days and it still was not fixed. And when I picked it up they said that there were error codes on my radio that needed addressed. This was my last straw and I traded it on a 2015 Lexus RC F. I have had my Lexus for 2 months and no warning lights and trips to the Service Department. I took a hit by getting rid of the car after 2 months of ownership but worth every penny as now i don have to visit the service department every two weeks. When you buy a car its not just the car you are buying but the service you get while owning the car. I am disappointed that the Jaguar was not more reliable as I still think its one of the most sexiest cars on the market.

Last edited by Jaguar4Me; 07-21-2017 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

When you have an unreliable dealer, time to switch dealers.. I have a great service dept. at my dealer.

Also, on my 4th Jaguar up here with one in Florida and all great cars with no issues.
Lawrence

Old 07-21-2017, 10:02 PM

Unfortunately this was my second dealership. The first dealership was not any better so I travelled 40 minutes to the second dealership. I was not looking forward to trying a third dealer which would have been 1.5 hours in traffic. I did write to Jaguar Corporate and they were very disappointed to hear of my experiences and hopefully they will try and make things better here in Seattle.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:02 AM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

+1 for "Charging System Fault"

Day two after getting the car back from having the entire transmission replaced. Can't wait to call the dealer tomorrow: "Hi! It's me again!"

Old 05-01-2019, 07:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 504 Likes on 375 Posts
Old 05-01-2019, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2

Huh?

Old 05-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

In other words, I'd be annoyed towards the dealer.

Tactfully, of course.

You've suffered enough!!!!!!!

Old 05-01-2019, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
In other words, I'd be annoyed towards the dealer.

Tactfully, of course.

You've suffered enough!!!!!!!

Not to worry, I've been tactfully annoyed at them for weeks now

The "Charging System Fault" did not re-appear this morning, however, it seems that the auto stop/start is no longer functioning.

Old 05-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
it seems that the auto stop/start is no longer functioning.
No 'Eco-start/stop' is an indicator that battery charge is low, isn't it?

Perhaps a night on a battery maintainer is a good step.

Also, disconnect the battery ground for a minute, just in case there is a parasitic battery drain from hooking up an OBDII diagnostic tool....

The following users liked this post:
sov211 (05-04-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 12:05 AM

Getting the alternator replaced now.

They asked to keep it over the weekend for extended test driving.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What is the exact verbiage of the warning light? Similar to other issues, it might resolve if you reboot the systems by disconnecting one of the battery leads for 10+ seconds. These cats respond well to love and affection as long as you get familiar with their little quirks.

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you so much. You are right I took it back to Jag for second time and they are replacing the alternator and battery and all covered under warranty. They said that this is not common so I guess I had some bad luck too. The good thing is that i get a new alternator and battery and they let me drive a brand new XF for loaner. I will hang in there and hope that I don't have any further issues and it will be a fun car for many years. The service advisor said that my Jag is like having a hot girlfriend. High maintenance and nice to look at. I am a little high maintenance myself so I guess we make good pair.
How long was your car in the shop for replacing the alternator?

Quick Reply: Charging System Fault