F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Clear Bra Saga Continues - Chapter 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2016, 04:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Default The Clear Bra Saga Continues - Chapter 2

Well it's been a month since my Clear Bra journey began with "issues" I laid out in Chapter 1:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ed-but-154250/

Now, on day 27, after a week of biblical downpours, I now have this:
Name:  IMG_9683.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  82.9 KB

Besides the bubbles that are holding the dirt (and there's a couple others), note the fine line to the right which appears to be a "crack" in the wrap.

So, I took it back to the shop and they're going to "stand tall", but I'm sharing their thoughts so that it may guide others in getting it right the first time.

The consensus in feedback from those most satisfied in Chapter 1 was having the bra wrapped around the edges.

When I had discussed this with the installer, he felt that he couldn't stretch the xpel product any more than he did (including that last two inches adjacent to the doors/side mirrors which is present in the templates viewable online).

Now, in discussing this with the owner, he simply said "we used the xpel templates and should have cut it by hand from the blank roll...we'll get it right and stand behind it"

So, I was inadequately informed going in to this, but I've learned a lot in 27 days. My suggestion to any who intend to get clear bras is that you insist that they not use the templates and wrap the entire hood around the edges as many of you showed in Chapter 1.

I think these guys really are going to get this right and have learned as much as I have...given that Jaguar is a relatively small share in its "space" I'm guessing the installers in small markets aren't used to such a huge hood when the space (at least here) is dominated by Porsche and BMW

So, caveat emptor...and be informed.

The following 3 users liked this post by Lookout!:
01Silverstone (01-02-2016), LobsterClaws (01-02-2016), Mbourne (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Lookout!
My suggestion to any who intend to get clear bras is that you insist that they not use the templates and wrap the entire hood around the edges as many of you showed in Chapter 1.
+1.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:43 PM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Thats odd, because my shop used templates, but wrapped the entire hood in one piece while wrapping the edges as well, and that goes for the whole car as well.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
Thats odd, because my shop used templates, but wrapped the entire hood in one piece while wrapping the edges as well, and that goes for the whole car as well.
Hmmm

Old 01-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

In talking to the installer I'm having do my coupe (work product tbd) you can heat the film a bit and stretch it, even when you use the templates in some instances. The only issue with the hood template is that it includes two small triangular pieces near the windshield.

Old 01-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 243 Likes on 169 Posts

Well it's been a month since my Clear Bra journey began with "issues" I laid out in Chapter 1:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ed-but-154250/

Now, on day 27, after a week of biblical downpours, I now have this:

Besides the bubbles that are holding the dirt (and there's a couple others), note the fine line to the right which appears to be a "crack" in the wrap.

So, I took it back to the shop and they're going to "stand tall", but I'm sharing their thoughts so that it may guide others in getting it right the first time.

The consensus in feedback from those most satisfied in Chapter 1 was having the bra wrapped around the edges.

When I had discussed this with the installer, he felt that he couldn't stretch the xpel product any more than he did (including that last two inches adjacent to the doors/side mirrors which is present in the templates viewable online).

Now, in discussing this with the owner, he simply said "we used the xpel templates and should have cut it by hand from the blank roll...we'll get it right and stand behind it"

So, I was inadequately informed going in to this, but I've learned a lot in 27 days. My suggestion to any who intend to get clear bras is that you insist that they not use the templates and wrap the entire hood around the edges as many of you showed in Chapter 1.

I think these guys really are going to get this right and have learned as much as I have...given that Jaguar is a relatively small share in its "space" I'm guessing the installers in small markets aren't used to such a huge hood when the space (at least here) is dominated by Porsche and BMW

So, caveat emptor...and be informed.
I'm glad to hear they're willing to work on it with you, and that perhaps they were just misinformed and weren't attempting to rip you off. Kudos to the shop, and best of luck with version 2 of your clear bra!

Old 01-02-2016, 11:35 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

My hood was completely wrapped, but the front nose and bumper was off a template. Much better job than this though, no bubbling.

If I were to do it again though, I too would insist on not using templates and to have a skilled tech wrap everything by hand with no edges.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

Hmmm
Stretching the film to cover a few more inches has no bearing on being able to wrap the edges or not, so that part of the shops story is bogus. However, using a template that either does not contain wrapped edges as part of the template or that has not been modified by the installer prior to cutting the film to include wrapped edges is never going to include enough film to wrap the edges too.

I don't know any installer that gains enough extra film to wrap all edges by "stretching" the film. Wrapping edges requires the film be cut oversized by approximately 1" in at each edge.

Now getting the film to cover from the front tip of the hood all the way back to the corners adjacent to the mirrors does require the film to be stretched because this distance is greater than the width of the roll of film.

Last edited by IronMike; 01-02-2016 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
Stretching the film to cover a few more inches has no bearing on being able to wrap the edges or not, so that part of the shops story is bogus. However, using a template that either does not contain wrapped edges as part of the template or that has not been modified by the installer prior to cutting the film to include wrapped edges is never going to include enough film to wrap the edges too.

I don't know any installer that gains enough extra film to wrap all edges by "stretching" the film. Wrapping edges requires the film be cut oversized by approximately 1" in at each edge.

Now getting the film to cover from the front tip of the hood all the way back to the corners adjacent to the mirrors does require the film to be stretched because this distance is greater than the width of the roll of film.
+1. This lines up with the info shared by my installer.

Old 01-03-2016, 10:06 AM
BMo
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

At least they are not hassling you and will make it right. Still, what a headache!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiztOG43
+1

Old 01-03-2016, 08:05 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Have any of you noticed any significant reduction in the shinyness of your cars as a result of using the xpel ultimate? I read on another forum that one of the side effects is that it makes your car appear slightly duller.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
Have any of you noticed any significant reduction in the shinyness of your cars as a result of using the xpel ultimate? I read on another forum that one of the side effects is that it makes your car appear slightly duller.
No, not on my Polaris White car.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:31 PM

Not a bit. In fact, my father in law has it on his Ferrari California and I didn't even notice it.

Old 01-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member

Not at all, in fact the opposite. Allowed the metallic flake on the BRG to pop even more in the sunlight.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Rhodium is more brilliant and deep as well

Old 01-04-2016, 09:04 AM

Lobster, I've pondered your question some more...I haven't seen a reduction in shinyness, but it is fair to say that there is a reduction in "smoothness" when looking directly into a reflected light. I'd characterize it like looking at a still pond - it's not flat, but it is still smooth.

BUT, my SL is my fun car...this one is my everyday driver. To me, this effect is much better than rock chips from the everyday driving...

The following users liked this post:
LobsterClaws (01-08-2016)