F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by 818
ok after 300 miles, i can say the new clutch is flawless.
As expected. Mine is still flawless 11k miles after it was replaced.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
818 (04-19-2017), AJB2 (04-12-2019)
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 955 Likes on 716 Posts

Contrary to expectations, mine remains ... adequate. I've had instances where I just had to back off until it grabbed but they are rare, even when I drive it hard. I will again complain when I next bring it for service, but I can't replicate the condition at will. I suppose if I deliberately got it slipping badly with partial clutch pedal and then let off on the clutch with continuing full throttle it'd do it, but that's a bit abusive.

Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Contrary to expectations, mine remains ... adequate. I've had instances where I just had to back off until it grabbed but they are rare, even when I drive it hard. I will again complain when I next bring it for service, but I can't replicate the condition at will. I suppose if I deliberately got it slipping badly with partial clutch pedal and then let off on the clutch with continuing full throttle it'd do it, but that's a bit abusive.
What is the part number of the clutch you currently have on the car (gen 2 or gen 3)?

Old 04-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
What is the part number of the clutch you currently have on the car (gen 2 or gen 3)?
Whatever the factory installed. Given the manufacture date, I thought I had Gen 1. It hasn't 'sploded yet though, so I don't really know.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Whatever the factory installed. Given the manufacture date, I thought I had Gen 1. It hasn't 'sploded yet though, so I don't really know.
oh...I thought you had yours swapped out. You should bellyache about it to the dealer and get a righteous clutch. Tell them it's been slipping since day one.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

I've complained every time I've been in, but 99.9% of the time it works fine, even if I hammer it. I've been trying to figure out a repeatable way to get it to slip (without deliberate abuse) and it's only been about three times that it slipped and I had to back off to get it to grab.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:13 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Turn traction control off. On a gradual incline take first to redline, slam second
Keep gas all on and she will smoke if it is a weak clutch. I found traction control
Off to be the kiss of death as the car will not get an Ecu shutdown with traction off.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (05-14-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Turn traction control off. On a gradual incline take first to redline, slam second
Keep gas all on and she will smoke if it is a weak clutch. I found traction control
Off to be the kiss of death as the car will not get an Ecu shutdown with traction off.
I almost always drive in TracDSC, but almost never with it completely off. In TracDSC I can go to 6000+ and, as you put it, slam second, and it does grab. I'm not sure, but I think the times it's slipped egregiously I might have been slow on getting off the clutch pedal.

SinF (05-14-2017)
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Keep gas all on and she will smoke if it is a weak clutch.
+1. She'll go straight to redline in second if the clutch isn't holding. The updated clutch has no problem handling 450hp/425tq.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-20-2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

@Unhingd

How to tell if your clutch wasn't bled properly during warranty work? What are the symptoms?

Old 05-31-2017, 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
@Unhingd

How to tell if your clutch wasn't bled properly during warranty work? What are the symptoms?
The easiest way to check is to pump the clutch a few times while at a standstill. If the pedal action feels a bit firmer on the forth pump vs the first, you have air in the line.

SinF (06-01-2017)
Old 06-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Veteran Member

SinF,
You might find this useful:

Attached Files
Old 06-13-2017, 02:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I've got the 2nd gen clutch, 2nd gen flywheel. Went to get service today for warrantied o2 on the manual, and got a loaner of an JK R sedan (*see below).

But basically, my dealer who I love, and service guy said he knew about the 3rd gen, had just installed one last week, but because I got the 2nd gen, and it is holding and working great, at this point it is considered wear and tear, and I will pay for a new clutch in the future, and it will be 3rd gen. But it isn't considered warranty and I don't get it updated for free. I am no pushover, but this sounds reasonable.

What do you guys think?

*Prior to even finding dynamic & sport mode, I experience, for the first time in my entire life, performance automatic shifting. I've had Toyota or Hyundai rentals, but never truly experience an AT at speed. Holy ****. It's slightly different than my late 90's Honda when I was younger. It's.... all I need to know I will someday end up in an automatic. Holy **** guys. I can't believe what 3 decades of engineering can do.

Old 06-13-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I've got the 2nd gen clutch, 2nd gen flywheel. Went to get service today for warrantied o2 on the manual, and got a loaner of an JK R sedan (*see below).

But basically, my dealer who I love, and service guy said he knew about the 3rd gen, had just installed one last week, but because I got the 2nd gen, and it is holding and working great, at this point it is considered wear and tear, and I will pay for a new clutch in the future, and it will be 3rd gen. But it isn't considered warranty and I don't get it updated for free. I am no pushover, but this sounds reasonable.

What do you guys think?
That has been my conclusion regarding the clutch. I am applying 450hp/425tq to the Gen 2 clutch with no (noticeable) slip. When it finally fails, it will be on me, not Jag.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (07-05-2017), Uncle Fishbits (06-14-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member

Mine seems to be finally heading out to pasture. I've had a few times now where it seems to drag (not the usual complaint) and I couldn't engage a gear when stopped without shutting the engine off.

I'm hoping it doesn't fully 'splode but reaches a point where I can say to the dealer, "See? That's not right." The official test (2K rpm, 4th gear, see if it stalls) hasn't failed yet, but things are declining in Lizzardo Clutch Land.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:26 AM
Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Another MT V6S. Anyone have trouble with a V6 MT?

Old 07-04-2017, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

Mine seems to be finally heading out to pasture. I've had a few times now where it seems to drag (not the usual complaint) and I couldn't engage a gear when stopped without shutting the engine off.

I'm hoping it doesn't fully 'splode but reaches a point where I can say to the dealer, "See? That's not right." The official test (2K rpm, 4th gear, see if it stalls) hasn't failed yet, but things are declining in Lizzardo Clutch Land.
How does the pedal feel? Normal, or a bit spongy? Try pumping the pedal just before trying to get it into gear with the engine running. If that works, you've got air in the system.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member

How does the pedal feel? Normal, or a bit spongy? Try pumping the pedal just before trying to get it into gear with the engine running. If that works, you've got air in the system.
One step ahead of you there. Considering that "normal" is already spongy it's a subtle thing. The pedal felt like it usually does. It was dragging a little when I got home one day so I took the Miata to work for two days (they're repaving the parking lot at work so that's been my usual lately). It still dragged the next time I went to move it so I made an appointment at the dealer.

I was to bring it in yesterday morning so spent time Saturday trying to characterize the issue better. It was working normally again so I cancelled the appointment, although I did explain the situation to the service adviser.

I drove to work in it yesterday and it slipped badly once on a hard launch, and was again dragging when I went to leave work, but with some occasional lurching on engagement.

If it's finally packing it in then it should be easier to explain to the dealer. I guess there's that.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

One step ahead of you there. Considering that "normal" is already spongy it's a subtle thing. The pedal felt like it usually does. It was dragging a little when I got home one day so I took the Miata to work for two days (they're repaving the parking lot at work so that's been my usual lately). It still dragged the next time I went to move it so I made an appointment at the dealer.

I was to bring it in yesterday morning so spent time Saturday trying to characterize the issue better. It was working normally again so I cancelled the appointment, although I did explain the situation to the service adviser.

I drove to work in it yesterday and it slipped badly once on a hard launch, and was again dragging when I went to leave work, but with some occasional lurching on engagement.

If it's finally packing it in then it should be easier to explain to the dealer. I guess there's that.
Sounds like the pressure plate is about ready to toss in the towel. Which gen clutch do you have, 1, 2 or 3?

Old 07-05-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like the pressure plate is about ready to toss in the towel. Which gen clutch do you have, 1, 2 or 3?
Based on production date, I think we decided long ago that it's a Gen 1. It's an early production car, delivered in July 2015. And yeah, I think it's going Tango Uniform. I'm really busy right now but need to get it to the shop ASAP.

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction