F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch repair records

Hi everyone,
I hope I am posting this the correct way. I apologize as I am not very familiar with how forums work.
I have been in touch with a couple of you directly but I wanted to ask if anyone else might be able to provide their invoices or records for their clutch replacements or really any records with issues with the clutches they have that were covered under warranty. I have a base, 16 MT that has only 5,800 miles on it that I myself have only put on a couple hundred of those miles and I have the clutch slippage issue that so many of you dealt with. The dealer here in Dallas was absolutely useless in helping me trying to get these faulty parts covered and after a lot of yelling and temper-losing I found this eye-opening thread and then decided to go to another dealer about 20 miles away in Grapevine. The service manager there seems much more interested in helping and I am trying to provide him with as much evidence/ information as I possibly can to help persuade JLR into doing the right thing. The couple of PDF invoices I have seen posted in this thread I believe are for the 2nd Gen clutch which I believe is now quite old but I have provided them to him anyway. Do any of you gentleman happen to have any other records you would not mind sharing? I would be very grateful for anything that might be able to help my case. And thanks to all you guys for providing all the info in this thread, its been very helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:49 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by Luc Lapierre:
SinF (10-23-2019), Uncle Fishbits (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 02:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gracias amigo!

Uncle Fishbits (06-20-2019)
Old 06-18-2019, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Here’s a Jag service bulletin that may carry some weight with the dealer:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...18156-9999.pdf

The following 4 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (07-13-2019), slipstream (07-16-2020), unccoda5 (06-19-2019), Uncle Fishbits (06-20-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Good luck!! It's amazing when dealerships don't understand they're in the service and hospitality industry, whether they like it or not.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys

I have potentially a weird one here. I've gone through the forum, and pretty much everything Unhingd has said on the subject, but struggling to nail down the issue. I have a F-type S MY2015 (late) K32206. Got the car a few weeks ago with about 11k on the clock. (It may be Gen 2 of the clutch ... not sure. Would be great if someone can confirm)

My issue is that the clutch feels extremely inconsistent.
1) The car is embarrassing to get going from a full stop, as it randomly jerks. This is probably because the clutch engagement/diengagement happens over a band, rather than one defined point, but it comes and goes it seems.
2) There is no slippage that I've noticed, but under acceleration it's difficult to get into 3rd gear. It feels like there's nothing there or I am hitting a metal piece. When revs come down, I am able to shift into third.
3) The clutch doesn't allow me to shift quickly from lower gears 1,2,3 (sometimes 4) or the car jerks. I have to wait for an additional moment after the shift and lifting my foot half way up, before completely letting go of the clutch. It feels like clutch is trying to catch up with my foot.
4) After spirited driving in high gears at high revs and without much shifting, on slowing down, the clutch randomly feels heavier. This goes away after a while.

I took it to the dealer, and initially the tech said that a "finger" in the clutch plate maybe lose, but then they tested it out, and told me that everything including the pressure etc checks out.

Any idea on what maybe the problem here? I am loving the car, but for week or so, I am only thinking about the clutch while driving, and that's ruining all the fun. I would appreciate if someone can give me tips on what to ask the dealership from troubleshooting perspective.

thanks!

Old 10-22-2019, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like clutch chatter. The previous owner probably blue-burnt the flywheel and pressure plate. The springs are probably warped from the heat causing the shifting difficulty (clutch is not fully disengaging. Time for a new (gen 4) clutch and (gen 2) flywheel.

As you say, your late MY16 probably has a gen2 clutch and a gen1 flywheel.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 PM

Appreciate it man!

Any way to verify this diagnosis that I can ask the dealership technician to look into? Will they need to take the clutch apart to confirm? They pretty much kept the car for two days and then told me everything checks out as it should. Even though, we were able to reproduce the issue on a test drive. I am wondering if they are stalling or genuinely have no idea on what to do with a manual.

My ultimate goal being that they change it under warranty.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Shaaguar
Appreciate it man!

Any way to verify this diagnosis that I can ask the dealership technician to look into? Will they need to take the clutch apart to confirm? They pretty much kept the car for two days and then told me everything checks out as it should. Even though, we were able to reproduce the issue on a test drive. I am wondering if they are stalling or genuinely have no idea on what to do with a manual.

My ultimate goal being that they change it under warranty.
First, ask the technician if he/she regularly drives an MT. If not, they are not qualified to diagnose the problem. Besides being test driven by an experienced MT technician, removing the tranny and inspecting the clutch to confirm my diagnoses is the only way to do it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Shaaguar (10-27-2019), SinF (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 07:47 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
First, ask the technician if he/she regularly drives an MT. If not, they are not qualified to diagnose the problem. Besides being test driven by an experienced MT technician, removing the tranny and inspecting the clutch to confirm my diagnoses is the only way to do it.
+1 - I have been attending local club events and encountering other owners in the Chicago area for the better part of two years now and still have not seen another F Type with a MT. This is the first JLR car in a long time with a MT, its unlikely that you will encounter a mechanic on their end with much experience.

What is the build date of your car?

Shaaguar (10-27-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rbsj
+1 - I have been attending local club events and encountering other owners in the Chicago area for the better part of two years now and still have not seen another F Type with a MT. This is the first JLR car in a long time with a MT, its unlikely that you will encounter a mechanic on their end with much experience.

In recent history, Jaguar did offer an MT on the X-Type (2001-2009), but that was really a Ford Mondeo.(no learning curve involved)

Old 10-27-2019, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by rbsj

thanks guys!

Build is 10/2015. I have printed out a few invoices and planning to show up at Jaguar Bellevue tomorrow to speak with their head of service. Fingers crossed!

slipstream (10-30-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chawumba
May wanna check the exclusions page on your CPO warranty, on another thread it looked like clutches were not covered....
That's what I found when looking at the fine print on an extended warranty. They were bragging about their "Platinum" extended warranty -- What does it cover? What *doesn't* it cover!! Ha ha. Well, it doesn't cover the clutch. I was in the process of finalizing the deal. I'd never bought an extended warranty before, but thought maybe it was a good idea in this case. That one thing killed it for me.

Old 07-16-2020, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by slipstream
That's what I found when looking at the fine print on an extended warranty. They were bragging about their "Platinum" extended warranty -- What does it cover? What *doesn't* it cover!! Ha ha. Well, it doesn't cover the clutch. I was in the process of finalizing the deal. I'd never bought an extended warranty before, but thought maybe it was a good idea in this case. That one thing killed it for me.
I think it’s unreasonable to expect that any extended warranty would include the clutch. That would be like getting an extended warranty on brake pads, wiper blades or engine oil.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:40 AM

I think it’s unreasonable to expect that any extended warranty would include the clutch. That would be like getting an extended warranty on brake pads, wiper blades or engine oil.
I understand where you're coming from in terms of wear items. It's just that with early generations of clutch so prone to premature failure, that was on my mind. Later today, I'm taking delivery of a 2016 F-Type with 9300 miles on the clock. While I'm excited to have such a low-mileage car, it seems very possible that it'll have a first generation clutch. My goal then is to use the remaining warranty to find and replace this and any other weak points in the next 14 months.

Old 07-20-2020, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

I understand where you're coming from in terms of wear items. It's just that with early generations of clutch so prone to premature failure, that was on my mind. Later today, I'm taking delivery of a 2016 F-Type with 9300 miles on the clock. While I'm excited to have such a low-mileage car, it seems very possible that it'll have a first generation clutch. My goal then is to use the remaining warranty to find and replace this and any other weak points in the next 14 months.
wise strategy. Regarding an extended warranty on the clutch, I can see why an insurance company would balk at fixing a design flaw that should have been resolved by the manufacturer under the original warranty.

Old 09-10-2020, 08:25 PM

And here it goes. My car currently has less than 11,000 miles on the clock, and the clutch stinks to high heaven. I have an appointment next week to inspect this and a few other items. The curious thing about this car that I just noticed is the build date -- 12/14, for a MY2016 car. The VIN ends in 20768.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

And here it goes. My car currently has less than 11,000 miles on the clock, and the clutch stinks to high heaven. I have an appointment next week to inspect this and a few other items. The curious thing about this car that I just noticed is the build date -- 12/14, for a MY2016 car. The VIN ends in 20768.
Yep, would appear to be first gen clutch as it seems like second gen started getting installed somewhere in 9/15 to 10/15, but the good thing is your strategy worked and soon you should have a fourth gen clutch.

Just so I can be fodder for those claiming I drive like I'm going to a bingo match most of the time, my second gen clutch now has 37K miles and no signs of failure.

slipstream (09-11-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Congrats! You have one of two pre-production units that were shipped to the US in early 2015 for press testing. The clutch has definitely been fixed with the Gen 4 version.

Old 09-12-2020, 04:56 PM

Congrats! You have one of two pre-production units that were shipped to the US in early 2015 for press testing. The clutch has definitely been fixed with the Gen 4 version.
Interesting, how did you find all that out?

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction