Sponsored by:

CNET review praises the stereo

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts
Default CNET review praises the stereo

I found this very interesting coming from CNET:

"Music plays through a standard 770-watt Meridian audio system with 12 speakers, an extraordinarily robust system for the F-type S Coupe's small, two-seater cabin. The sound was definitely audiophile quality, with extremely clean and balanced reproduction. The equalizer offered subwoofer levels separate from the bass levels, letting me fine-tune the low-end."

2016 Jaguar F-type review - CNET

Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

lolz i watched that review and thought, what are you guys complaining about

in video form....

Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
I found this very interesting coming from CNET:

"Music plays through a standard 770-watt Meridian audio system with 12 speakers, an extraordinarily robust system for the F-type S Coupe's small, two-seater cabin. The sound was definitely audiophile quality, with extremely clean and balanced reproduction. The equalizer offered subwoofer levels separate from the bass levels, letting me fine-tune the low-end."

2016 Jaguar F-type review - CNET
My 2015 770 system is good too.
Lawrence

Old 08-31-2015, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Default OK, I'll shockingly weigh in now :-)

My 2015 380W FT S convert. sounds great after JLR and my dealer fixed it. In fact it actually sounds very good now as well....surprise surprise surprise! I can't comment on CNET review, as the car they listened to, could have been one out of the lot that has no problems (and seems there are a lot of these in the 2016 models). I don't have numbers, so therefore I can't make a statement on good vs. bad, just general reads of this forum. My friend has a coupe, and said that his sounds terrible..., however I told him of the fix and he is taking that route.

With the above said, the beauty of this unit now for me is when I put in the Ipod directly to the head unit, it is the best sounding of all input devices, i.e. vs. the "stick", FM of course, and rivals the CD player, which should be the best of them all of course.

Now I am happy with the entire experience thus far from bumper to bumper! CNET did their job as always, however those with stereo problems I urge you to call your dealer and if they don't fix it for you, call your regional office, they do listen, case be mine. Good Luck!

Last edited by slojotaa; 08-31-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:35 AM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by slojotaa
My friend has a coupe, and said that his sounds terrible..., however I told him of the fix and he is taking that route.
Hi slojotaa,

I'm the proud owner of a week-old F Type V6S Coupe with the Meridian 770w system, and I've already submitted my first warranty claim in the form of new front speakers to fix boom/rattle, mostly from the left-side door (I'm not convinced speaker replacement will work, but hey, let's see...).

Would you mind sharing details of the fix you refer to in this thread?

I love my F-Type, but the speaker is a huge letdown, especially after the price I paid for it!!!

The following users liked this post:
pistol (02-23-2016)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:46 AM

Ah, ignore me, I think I've found your secret in the form of Dynomat, sorry, should have tried a search first:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...8/#post1298831

slojotaa (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 03:51 AM

By the way, hi all!

I've mostly been over on the forum at ftypeownersclub.co.uk but just found your forum too, so will pop in to say hi from time to time!

I love my new F-Type...

Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
By the way, hi all!

I've mostly been over on the forum at ftypeownersclub.co.uk but just found your forum too, so will pop in to say hi from time to time!

I love my new F-Type...

Hopefully by now the "DYnomat" worked.... Good luck and enjoy the F type. nice car!

Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

I am very satiesfied with the 770W system in my 2015 R. No rattles or distortion and a better sound experience than the Dynaudio system in my previous VW Touareg and the Boose system in my previous Audi TTS.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Default CNET review praises the stereo

Originally Posted by Arne
I am very satiesfied with the 770W system in my 2015 R. No rattles or distortion and a better sound experience than the Dynaudio system in my previous VW Touareg and the Boose system in my previous Audi TTS.
These experiences continue to befuddle me. Why is the experience so variable (at least in terms of distortion) with the exact same equipment installed in the exact same acoustic environment. The one that I test drove had the blown speaker sound.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member

These experiences continue to befuddle me. Why is the experience so variable (at least in terms of distortion) with the exact same equipment installed in the exact same acoustic environment. The one that I test drove had the blown speaker sound.
That is a very good question. There seems to be no in betweens, and to have to do invasive fixes befuddles me. However, in the end, when fixed, it doesn't really matter, and when it works perfectly without any additional steps, better yet. But, you ask a very good question, excellent!

Old 09-23-2015, 09:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer replaced both sub-woofers and last week the amplifier but still sounds like blown bass. They don't know what to do next and put in a call to the Regional rep. I am going to call Jaguars customer service and at least document the issues with my car if they really do come out with a fix.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

That is a very good question. There seems to be no in betweens, and to have to do invasive fixes befuddles me. However, in the end, when fixed, it doesn't really matter, and when it works perfectly without any additional steps, better yet. But, you ask a very good question, excellent!
Indeed Joe, it is a very good question. It also has me completely befuddled. From car to car, it's either very good or just plain awful. Initially, I thought the negative reviews were just nit-picking, which is routine on car forums about myriad issues, but over time, I became convinced otherwise. There were just too many people specifying exactly the same symptoms.

However, it amazes me that there is also a very large group out there who perceive it to be great, as I do. That's why I have to think it's a QC issue either on the JLR line or on the Meridian line.

slojotaa (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member

But I don't even know what the QC fallout could be, if that's the case. Speakers are easy to manufacture; I doubt they are the problem. Several have reported replacing speakers without resolution. The blown speaker sound that I heard sounds everything like the crossover being set wrong. Low frequencies are sent to tweeters and mid ranges. But that's a programming point in the head unit, and wouldn't vary from build to build. It's bizarre.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:22 AM
Veteran Member

But I don't even know what the QC fallout could be, if that's the case. Speakers are easy to manufacture; I doubt they are the problem. Several have reported replacing speakers without resolution. The blown speaker sound that I heard sounds everything like the crossover being set wrong. Low frequencies are sent to tweeters and mid ranges. But that's a programming point in the head unit, and wouldn't vary from build to build. It's bizarre.
Nati, don't even pre-occupy yourself with hypothesis or second guessing. It is your wiring up front, and your speaker grill clips in the back, coupled with the hook for behind the passenger seat, and ultimately dynomatting the entire areas. Nothing more, nothing less. THIS WILL FIX the problem, and make sure the dealer uses the correct fresh dynomat (mine used old dynomat, and I was informed that this stuff if not used for a while could go bad, believe it or not).

Presto, problem resolved and not a change of a speaker, just rear grills, clips, and dynomat. I promise you this is the problem!!! If you want a reference on what was done, JLR NA knows exactly what was done, and it was documented and sent to HQ in the UK.

Good Luck, and trying to save you the agony....and look up the thread, you will see the details.

Old 09-24-2015, 04:52 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I have always said there is nothing wrong with my 770w system, it isn't as good as the Harmann Kardan system in my Land Rover and being a vert with active exhaust it has a lot to compete with but it doesn't rattle and it is fine.

Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Nati, don't even pre-occupy yourself with hypothesis or second guessing. It is your wiring up front, and your speaker grill clips in the back, coupled with the hook for behind the passenger seat, and ultimately dynomatting the entire areas. Nothing more, nothing less. THIS WILL FIX the problem, and make sure the dealer uses the correct fresh dynomat (mine used old dynomat, and I was informed that this stuff if not used for a while could go bad, believe it or not).

Presto, problem resolved and not a change of a speaker, just rear grills, clips, and dynomat. I promise you this is the problem!!! If you want a reference on what was done, JLR NA knows exactly what was done, and it was documented and sent to HQ in the UK.

Good Luck, and trying to save you the agony....and look up the thread, you will see the details.

Except, Joe, some cars came off the line sounding great without the extra dynomatting, etc. To me, that's the inexplicable part.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

In a digital audio system, a single dud component or connection will do drastic things to the shape of the signal, leaving even a good amp/speaker combo floundering to produce anything but a buzzing noise.

The head unit, therefore...

Old 09-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Except, Joe, some cars came off the line sounding great without the extra dynomatting, etc. To me, that's the inexplicable part.
This

Old 09-24-2015, 09:01 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

The dealer has never quite fixed the stereo in the F Type, but the upgrade Meridian system in my XJ sounds absolutely fantastic. It's a great system.

Quick Reply: CNET review praises the stereo