F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering Upgrading from V6 to an "R"

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Well, I can’t speak to the scarcity of finding a V8 in your location, but...

that does not not sound like a worthwhile approach, in my opinion. ($ and compromises)

you really need to be patient and find an R in the color/condition you want. Then apply any mods you see fit.

There is is no question, given the journey you have been on, you need an 8 cylinder foundation for your continued modifications. The sound alone makes it worthwhile!

I was just just at the Sonoma Raceway Historics race yesterday and Jaguar was sponsoring F-Type hot laps for people while the track was idle over lunch. The sound comparison from the V6 from the V8 was insane. So many comments from the crowd on the glorious V8!

Old 06-03-2018, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR

that does not not sound like a worthwhile approach, in my opinion. ($ and compromises)

you really need to be patient and find an R in the color/condition you want. Then apply any mods you see fit.

There is is no question, given the journey you have been on, you need an 8 cylinder foundation for your continued modifications. The sound alone makes it worthwhile!

I was just just at the Sonoma Raceway Historics race yesterday and Jaguar was sponsoring F-Type hot laps for people while the track was idle over lunch. The sound comparison from the V6 from the V8 was insane. So many comments from the crowd on the glorious V8!
I suspect a lot of that is the cat back straight pipes on the open valve V8s. Open valve V6s are still routed through the muffler. With a V8 exhaust (VAP) mounted in my V6, the sound (I think) sounds just as glorious as the V8.

Old 06-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by FtypeRRR

I think what the dealer is asking for the change is around 4k too high all things considered. I completely agree that it doesn't make sense to make any more modifications when I can get the same chassis with a larger engine (also including a lot of the handling modifications I'm looking to make).

Finding a MT here is almost impossible so if I'm going to go all out on the car, it really should be the V8. Shouldn't have fooled myself 4 years ago when I bought the base, although that was largely due to budgetary constraints!

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I suspect a lot of that is the cat back straight pipes on the open valve V8s. Open valve V6s are still routed through the muffler. With a V8 exhaust (VAP) mounted in my V6, the sound (I think) sounds just as glorious as the V8.
Completely agree with Unhingd here. I would put the sounds at par. Whilst the V8 sounds like pure muscle, the V6 sounds exotic and imo is more aligned with the overall exotic design of the car.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:02 PM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Out of those choices - I would pick the McLaren
It is a compelling choice. I don't think the V8 would trap more than 130ish mph with all those mods in the quarter mile. The 12C however would be around 135 mph bone stock. Problem is risking a 12C with more than 30k miles on the clock and still costs USD 20k extra!

Old 06-05-2018, 07:58 AM
Received 186 Likes on 93 Posts

I have the V6S. It's plenty fast and the noise is glorious. It's perfect. Often a rumble, sometimes sounds exactly like a Jaguar animal. It's certainly loud and the right amount of crackles and pops.
When it's heated up and in Sport mode...IT.IS.LOUD.

I haven't driven The V8, have heard it in person, sounds amazing at times but also like a Machine gun going off when downshifted. I imagine after a while that would grow tiresome. Not to mention I'd feel weird driving around and scaring people...who could mistake it for gunfire.