F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating, but torn...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating, but torn...

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum. I'm here to ask advice/pick your brains. I've been in the Audi world for the last 20 years - all S and RS models. I currently have a '14 RS 5 and I really enjoy the car. An unresolved problem has me considering a change. I have found a CPO 2016 F-Type R that has me intrigued. So, I'm hoping that I can get some insights from this fine group. My wife is a bit miffed that I'm looking at a two-seater, but I'm pretty sure that I can work with this (her). I'm more concerned about your experiences with reliability, maintenance costs, performance, bad-weather performance (I live in Ohio and it SNOWS). Will I be able to put a buddy in the passenger seat and our golf clubs in the hatch? When I buy cars, I drive them. This will be a daily-driver.

Any and all input is very welcome!

Thanks in advance!

RS

Old 05-26-2019, 06:54 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

My personal experience with reliability:

Only one minor issue, sat nav stopped working, caused by water ingress to roof mounted fin antenna (power washing ?)
Fixed under warranty.

My 2016 F Type R (RWD) has now covered 40,000 miles, I have owned it for two years and covered 31000 of those miles. It's my daily driver.
I have no complaints with performance, (0 to 60mph approximately 4 second, Ss 1/4 mile approximately 11.8 secs , maximum speed limited to 186 mph), RWD can be a little tail happy if brutal with throttle on OEM fit Pirelli P Zero tyres.

Many posts on this forum recommend replacement with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S, I agree these will transform the car in a positive way.

No personal experience of driving in snow yet.
I think it's reasonable to assume that 550 bhp rear wheel drive on summer tyres even with "snow" mode selected isn't going to be ideal.
A set of winter tyres will be a significant improvement but winter tyres on an AWD F Type R will likely be even better.

2016 was I believe the transition point, earlier models are RWD later ones are AWD
Mine is RWD , manufactured in March 2015 but designated as 2016 model year.

Can't comment on ability to carry golf clubs but my assumption would be that you are already aware that luggage carrying capability in F Type Coupe is better than convertible but in no way comparable to your RS5

Maintenance cost JLR franchised dealer likely more expensive, find a good independent dealer that specializes in late model Jaguar will likely be less costly.

Interim service (essentially engine oil and filter change plus checks ) at JLR franchised dealer was quoted at £500 (US $635 ) a reputable independent Jaguar service facility did the same work for £200 ($254 )

Last edited by Paul_59; 05-26-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Keep the RS 5 as a winter rat. '16's and newer come with 5 year warranty. If CPO'd would be longer (6-7 years). Mine was purchased new and a few minor issues. I have 17k miles in 3 years. Love the car. I expect golf clubs will fit in the coupe hatch without the hatch cover lid (it is removable), but I don't golf so can't comment. I think it is a better looking car than the Audi RS5 but I wouldn't kick that car out of my garage either. I don't drive mine in winter, but when I had a RWD Supercharged XF (same v8 rated at 470 hp) I put 20 inch Nokians on it, but was still challenged on icy hills. Upstate New York weather is pretty rough in winter. You'd have to get more input from others. If you could afford to keep the Audi, that would do the trick.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I daily drove mine for three years in southern Ohio where it snows but nothing like Lake Erie territory. I have a second set of wheels with snow tires. Traction is not a problem with that setup but ground clearance can be. Anything more than 4.5 inches and your front end is snow plowing.

No chance on two golf bags. One will fit.

Old 05-26-2019, 08:29 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Believe it or not Justin, I can get two stand golf bags in my convertible trunk (not easily), with the woods in the passenger footwell. My single bag is in the trunk most of the time - woods have to come out of the bag, but fit in the trunk.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:11 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Believe it or not Justin, I can get two stand golf bags in my convertible trunk (not easily), with the woods in the passenger footwell. My single bag is in the trunk most of the time - woods have to come out of the bag, but fit in the trunk.
On a weekend golfing jaunt out of town I pulled the parcel shelf and got two golf bags (carry types with legs), two soft travel bags and two acoustic guitars (not in cases) in mine.

Regularly do two golf bags (again, carry type with legs) in the back with the parcel shelf installed. The trick is to take the woods out first and put them in all the way in the rear sideways by the latch. Then the two bags fit in relatively easily.

Old 05-26-2019, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by rbsj
On a weekend golfing jaunt out of town I pulled the parcel shelf and got two golf bags (carry types with legs), two soft travel bags and two acoustic guitars (not in cases) in mine.

Regularly do two golf bags (again, carry type with legs) in the back with the parcel shelf installed. The trick is to take the woods out first and put them in all the way in the rear sideways by the latch. Then the two bags fit in relatively easily.
Thanks for all of the input! My challenge now is convincing my wife that a two-seater is acceptable. Frankly, we still have an S4 Sedan and only rarely ferry other people in the car (empty nesters). I think the F-Type is a viable alternative for us, but the "ways and means" committee still needs a bit of prodding.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by 14RS5
Thanks for all of the input! My challenge now is convincing my wife that a two-seater is acceptable. Frankly, we still have an S4 Sedan and only rarely ferry other people in the car (empty nesters). I think the F-Type is a viable alternative for us, but the "ways and means" committee still needs a bit of prodding.
You have anything to bargain with? I promised to give up the turbo charged WideGlide to get the F type.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Be careful on the bargaining table. Mine cost me a house with a pool.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:17 PM
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

My challenge now is convincing my wife that a two-seater is acceptable.
Sell the romance... I call my F-type our date car, it only fits the two of us (no kids or in-laws allowed), perfect for romantic weekends etc.

Old 05-26-2019, 02:30 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Brock
Sell the romance... I call my F-type our date car ...
I thought people preferred back seats for dates.

Old 05-26-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You have anything to bargain with? I promised to give up the turbo charged WideGlide to get the F type.
Originally Posted by jaguny
Be careful on the bargaining table. Mine cost me a house with a pool.
Yeah. Bargaining...

Great thoughts. I wonder if finally finishing the master bathroom counts?

Old 05-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Yeah. Bargaining...

Great thoughts. I wonder if finally finishing the master bathroom counts?
That unfortunately will only count for new tires in many marriages.

Old 05-26-2019, 10:05 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Please note that rbsj is referring to a coupe, which has quite a bit more space in the trunk/hatch than the convertible has.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I daily drive mine, but only in the summer. For winter I have a beater Subaru with winter tires.