F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupé or Convertible??

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

I'very been looking and driving f-types for about a month. I would only get the coupe as I am not a convertible type person. If I lived in a sunny climate maybe I would reconsider. My feeling about the vert is it feels claustrophobic with the top up compared to the coupe, but if you drive it for its intended purpose with top down, this would not be an issue. Also, the looks of the coupe don't quit. I have seen some beautiful convertible color/top combos, so what are you wanting the car to do for you ( and your wife; I agree on this point).

Old 03-17-2016, 05:24 AM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Had a # of roadsters over the years...MGTF, MGB, Super7, '74 Vette, '68 EType....then got seduced into HPDE events with a Z3 MCoupe and therefore "needed" the F Coupe as most track events won't permit an open car.
On trips of any distance in the roadsters wind noise, hot sun became uncomfortable....though I didn't get to enjoy 30 sec. to close auto top and workable AC
Only had the R a week or so, no track days yet....what a machine, figure a person couldn't go wrong with either choice.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:27 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I've got both a crotch rocket and and a V8S vert. And yes I am overcompensating because I have a small package.

This is my third convertible. The first, 10+ years ago, was an MR2. That got me hooked on convertibles. Next was an SLK55. Now the V8S. I can't see me ever owning a hardtop although that's what my wife has.

Before the F, my wife told me "no more cars!" I test drove it with no intention at all to buy it. I was perfectly happy with the SLK. I went home after the test drive and couldn't get it out of my head. I took a couple of days to get up the courage to test the "no more cars" dictum. Puppy dog eyes. Bought it the next weekend.

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm guessing you haven't been married for close to 40 years, nor will you ever (sorry for the cheap shot). Only two words needed for a successful marriage:"Yes, dear!". It's not necessary to follow her ruling, but you damned well better run it past her for her opinion first.
Actually there are 2 words in addition to "Yes, dear. "I'm sorry" - doesn't matter if you did anything wrong or not - you were wrong.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by 084runnerltd
My wife wants me to ask if your hair stays "made up?"
This depends on couple things. Generally, wind isn't much of an issue unless driving at highway speeds. If you ride with windows all the way down and wind blocker between seats removed, then your hair will need attention. Otherwise, you are fine.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

You sit very deep in the vert, windows up and wind screen in it really is just a large moon roof, very little disturbance inside the car. By far the quietest soft top i have ever been in certainly not more wind noise than the coupe. It is actually extremely astonishing how much just the soft top muffles the exhaust noise when you put the top up.
One of the few cars where the soft top does not look like an after thought. The lines closed cannot compete with the coupe but the aft and the hips with the top down are as beautiful as the coupe's lines.

Foosh (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

The coupe wasn't available when I got my convertible but if I get another F Type it will be another convertible. For me, it's more fun and the noise is so much louder.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

[QUOTE=084runnerltd;1423532]
Originally Posted by DPelletier
I drive with the top down even when it's fairly cool; good heater, seat heaters, heated steering wheel.....all makes it pretty comfy. Then again, mine is a summer only car which is insured from April to Oct.

Dave[/QUOTE

My wife wants me to ask if your hair stays "made up?" Lol (I apoligize in advance for that question)
LOL; well MINE does......the wife's, not so much. ....she complains about it but less and less all the time!

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info...I am sure I won't notice the difference in "stiffness."
1) unlike many other cars, the F type was produced in the roadster first and the coupe second so I'd consider it designed as a roadster not as a coupe with the roof cut off and some bracing added to stiffen it back up again.

2) the Project 7 is a roadster and I don't recall anyone mentioning a lack of stiffness with it. In fact the P7 is THE highest performance model of the F type available...and it happens to be topless.

...I'm sure the coupe is even more rigid but I don't think the roadster has any inherent problem with rigidity. Maybe I'm wrong.

Dave

Old 03-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
This depends on couple things. Generally, wind isn't much of an issue unless driving at highway speeds. If you ride with windows all the way down and wind blocker between seats removed, then your hair will need attention. Otherwise, you are fine.

It IS fairly good in this regard though my wife compares it to the SLK which she says has less wind in the cockpit.

Dave

Old 03-17-2016, 11:18 AM
Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'm guessing you haven't been married for close to 40 years, nor will you ever (sorry for the cheap shot). Only two words needed for a successful marriage:"Yes, dear!". It's not necessary to follow her ruling, but you damned well better run it past her for her opinion first.
I don't think that was a cheap shot at all. That is your opinion and your reality.

My turn for a cheap shot - I would not wish to be married, for even 1 minute, to a woman to whom I'd have to say "yes, dear." Saying sorry when I am not is completely out of the question.

It all depends on your expectations and your agreement with your significant other. I think that a lot of guys think that a woman is a prize and try to please her. I think that a significant other should stay around because they value their partner. One should be supportive and not controlling. There should be an agreement to never give each other the silent treatment. Telling the microscopic truth is also very important. Never reward bad behaviour from the very beginning. Homo sapiens push boundaries. Give an inch and they want a foot. "Yes, dear" is a slippery slope.

Ever think of why the divorce rate approaches 50% in the first 2 years of marriage? The "yes, dear" technique does not work. I wonder what the divorce rate is after 10 or 20 years....

Anyway - I am WAY off topic. Apologies for that. Offering unsolicited marriage advice....

I think the OP should get what he dreams of if he truly has the resources.

There is something about driving an F-Type Roadster V8 with the top down during the night. It's almost as good as riding a horse at a lope or gallop. Horses are more fun by the way

Old 03-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 581 Likes on 394 Posts

I will run that past the wifey...lol
She'll probably say "You want one, too?"

Anyway, I fell your pain. I loved the F-Type from the moment I saw it -- the first real successor my first love, the old E-Type. My initial reaction was that I would wait for the coupe. I had been looking at the Cayman and the coupe would have been the direct counterpart. (For whatever reason, I had never been seriously tempted by the Boxter.) After waiting around for a year, I happened upon a low-mileage S 'vert. It was January. Seller was motivated. I sprung. A year+ later, I'm very happy with my decision and not looking back. Yesterday was 80-degrees and the wife and I had a nice jaunt over to the dealer to talk about an F-Pace for her. She seems to be leaning to the S version. Maybe I should be looking moving up to an R.

Foosh (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 11:43 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Originally Posted by enfield
There is something about driving an F-Type Roadster V8 with the top down during the night...

On a tight road, through a forest. It's unreal, even in a V6.

Old 03-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

This is my first vert, and I'm never going back.

Schwabe (03-17-2016)
Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 PM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Tricky one....

The wife and I found the coupé much more beautiful at the rear haunches than the vert (Echoes of the E-Type).
When we had the coupé, we came to the conclusion that you could be in almost any other car, and wouldn't really know the difference.

I was already sold on the vert, as to my mind at least, a ''sports car'' shouldn't have a roof.
Once we tried the vert, it all became very clear to my wife that this was the way to go (I won!).

We have enjoyed 6K miles of European tours and bombing round the South of England with the roof down; the sound, wind in your hair...what more could you ask for?

Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel
She'll probably say "You want one, too?"

Anyway, I fell your pain. I loved the F-Type from the moment I saw it -- the first real successor my first love, the old E-Type. My initial reaction was that I would wait for the coupe. I had been looking at the Cayman and the coupe would have been the direct counterpart. (For whatever reason, I had never been seriously tempted by the Boxter.) After waiting around for a year, I happened upon a low-mileage S 'vert. It was January. Seller was motivated. I sprung. A year+ later, I'm very happy with my decision and not looking back. Yesterday was 80-degrees and the wife and I had a nice jaunt over to the dealer to talk about an F-Pace for her. She seems to be leaning to the S version. Maybe I should be looking moving up to an R.
Ah, I am experiencing the sense of "i've been there before" just reading your post. Almost every time I have gone with my wife to get a new car I have ended up changing or upgrading within hours if not days of sealing the deal on hers. I see the sparkle in the eye of our regular dealer whenever we go in. He knows he is likely to get two cars sold. sigh I think I have a problem.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:50 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

I had a Series 1 E-type coupe 15 years ago (wish I never sold it)! Always liked the lines of the coupe over the OTS. Same with the F-type... the vert is sweet, but when that coupe was revealed in 2015, I was smitten. Besides, I have 2 (other) sports cars which are open, so it was the F-type coupe for me. My Austin Healey is a true roadster with side curtains and all. You really have to want that top on to make it worth the effort.
I do have a question for the convertible owners: when drive it with top down, do you leave the windows up or down?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:32 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
I do have a question for the convertible owners: when drive it with top down, do you leave the windows up or down?
Mostly prefer windows down, but if it is very cold or very hot I sometimes put the windows up which helps the aircon/heater be more effective. Also put the Windows up sometimes if I need to use the phone or am listening to something interesting on the radio.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,027 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by drbill
Always down.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,391 Posts

If it's cold (50ish), windows are probably up.
Extended freeway speeds, windows are probably up, if the roof isn't.
Raining, probably don't drive the car.
Otherwise, top down, windows down.

Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 AM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Always down.
My man!

When I had my XKR Vert, my wife would get mad when I would not put the windows up with the top down... I told her it looked dumb and I always take form over function. HeHe

Foosh (03-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Coupé or Convertible??