F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CPO Lemon?? Advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

And the dealer is doing the right thing...am I the only one who gets irritated by the instant presumption of guilt that many posters put on the dealers and JLR? I have always found my dealer to be honest and straightforward, helpful and efficient in its dealings with me, but then, I do not immediately adopt an aggressive attitude with them, and I should say that I am not attributing any negative behaviour to Luc. His concerns are entirely legitimate - but sometimes things are just out of the dealer's control.

Last edited by sov211; 04-13-2019 at 10:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 11:55 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
And the dealer is doing the right thing...am I the only one who gets irritated by the instant presumption of guilt that many posters put on the dealers and JLR? I have always found my dealer to be honest and straightforward, helpful and efficient in its dealings with me, but then, I do not immediately adopt an aggressive attitude with them, and I should say that I am not attributing any negative behaviour to Luc. His concerns are entirely legitimate - but sometimes things are just out of the dealer's control.
I think we are all impatient yes. I may vent here or to my friends but RARELY get ugly with them at the dealer. I’ll admit that I got super snippy on the phone last week when my charging system fault light came on again and my service advisor is now in an internal role so I got a new SA on the phone who didn’t seem to understand why I was offering to drop everything and come while the light was on. Made an appointment for this past Monday. Got my car back today. Took them a week to find the issue since of course the fault was gone.

I get being suspiscious and impatient but sometimes sometimes things just can’t move as quickly as we would like. I’d rather it be done right and take a few extra days. Of course all of you remember my growing impatience last year and I did have a good breakdown cry at the dealer once. Still they like me and my loaner this past week was a sportbrake because they know I don’t like SUVs.

All of my wordiness to basically say to try to be patient and polite. Sometimes it isn’t the dealer’s fault that things run slow or don’t in a round about way. I know you’re impatient for your car. Trust me - mine was in the shop pretty much half of my first year of ownership and it all started in the spring so I missed having it the entire summer last year.

scm (04-13-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Hey PBBarb, thread hijack for a moment: How did you like the Sportbrake?

Old 04-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
Hey PBBarb, thread hijack for a moment: How did you like the Sportbrake?
If you need lots of space and don’t mind large vehicles it’s great. I drove it in all modes and dynamic/sport was fun to open up on the interstate but for commuting normal or even eco (with start/stop off) was fine. Didn’t feel as large while driving and felt like I was driving a sedan and surprisingly easy to see out of. It’s totally not my style at all but if I needed something to haul my dogs or bicycles or general house stuff I’d certainly consider it over an SUV. I don’t like the height of SUVs. People like the looks because in one week I had 2 people stop me to ask about it in parking lots and a random guy at a gas station yelled that he loved my car and when I yelled back it was a loaner he told me I wore it well (whatever that means).

jaguny (04-14-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 03:50 PM
Received 139 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsj
Not sure what you mean, they've only had a month to figure this out?
You must have seen my pre-edit somehow. I forget what I had written initially but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something impertinent.
I admit I was feeling frustrated at first. This was, after all, the third consecutive week of getting a "Things are looking good!" text in the morning, followed up by a "Never mind, need to keep it another week." text in the afternoon.

However, as others have pointed out, the dealer is only operating under direction from JLR, who are in turn engaging in remote problem-solving. Everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I am legitimately curious (curious, *not* suspicious) as to why they have been instructed to inspect a brand-new flywheel (it was replaced a few weeks ago as part of the JLR-directed repair; the car hasn't left the shop). I'd just like to know what they might be looking for.

Last edited by Luc Lapierre; 04-13-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:16 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Luc Lapierre
You must have seen my pre-edit somehow. I forget what I had written initially but I wouldn't be surprised if it was something impertinent.
I admit I was feeling frustrated at first. This was, after all, the third consecutive week of getting a "Things are looking good!" text in the morning, followed up by a "Never mind, need to keep it another week." text in the afternoon.

However, as others have pointed out, the dealer is only operating under direction from JLR, who are in turn engaging in remote problem-solving. Everyone is doing what they're supposed to be doing.

I am legitimately curious (curious, *not* suspicious) as to why they have been instructed to inspect a brand-new flywheel (it was replaced a few weeks ago as part of the JLR-directed repair; the car hasn't left the shop). I'd just like to know what they might be looking for.

I applaud your patience Luc. Let us know how things shake out.

Old 04-13-2019, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

This may amuse:

10:33am

"Hi Luc, Great news the parts have arrived, we will try to have the vehicle done today for you. we will keep you posted"

3:46pm

"Hi Luc, update for you, Jaguar wants us to remove the fly wheel and slave for inspection. we are going to need to hold the vehicle till next week again. i do apologize for the delay"

Not sure why they're removing the flywheel since it was supposedly replaced just recently.
Apparently, still not shifting correctly or there is a serious vibration after they installed all the new parts. It is possible, that the “damaged driveshaft” issue was manifesting itself as a severe vibration which might still be there after the new driveshaft was installed, leading them to suspect the new flywheel. Unfortunately, you are dealing with technicians that haven’t seen an MT before and need to rely on remote expertise.

Don1954 (04-29-2019)
Old 04-13-2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Apparently, still not shifting correctly or there is a serious vibration after they installed all the new parts. It is possible, that the “damaged driveshaft” issue was manifesting itself as a severe vibration which might still be there after the new driveshaft was installed, leading them to suspect the new flywheel. Unfortunately, you are dealing with technicians that haven’t seen an MT before and need to rely on remote expertise.
Unfortunately also sometimes the remote techs override the person with hands on the car and make them do steps that aren’t always needed.

Oh and earlier when when I said something about people being suspicious I wasn’t referring to anyone specifically and certainly not you Luc. Just wanted to clarify. I’m currently sleep deprived and trying to multitask. I’d be curious about inspecting the new part as well. And trust me, I know th frustration of endless time in the shop.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:52 PM

In the meantime, the sales department has offered me $2000 (CAD) as "goodwill of reimbursing a portion of finance payments to compensate the days the vehicle spent in our shop for repair".
Sale price was 66k not including extended warranty that I purchased.
​​​
Reasonable?
​​​​

Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Up to you of course, but sounds decent to me.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

In the meantime, the sales department has offered me $2000 (CAD) as "goodwill of reimbursing a portion of finance payments to compensate the days the vehicle spent in our shop for repair".
​​​
Reasonable?
​​​​
Make sure it doesn't have any strings attached and they don't make you sign "Absolve of all future responsibility and claims... blah blah". Keep in mind, this might not be the end of this saga. I also lost differential to failing clutch sending shocks through drive train.

Old 04-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Update:

JLR has now directed them to replace the entire transmission!

In the words of the foreman: "They know something we don't."

He admitted that JLR hasn't always been the greatest at giving full disclosure.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Update:

JLR has now directed them to replace the entire transmission!

In the words of the foreman: "They know something we don't."

He admitted that JLR hasn't always been the greatest at giving full disclosure.
Bravo! ; now, could someone else please say something positive about the way JLR deals with its customers? My experience (over the ownership of many Jaguars) has been totally positive. Others have had difficult issues, and occasionally dealers have been less than helpful, but as we have seen that the dealers are often constrained by circumstances: not being able to repeat the fault, occasionally not being able to even find it or its cause, having to get approval for replacements further up (as in this case, the approval was given - and I had one experience of that as well for a very expensive part). Forums tend to act as collectors for problems (fair enough) but they also act as sounding boards for both reasonable and, too often, unreasonable complaints. Luc's was entirely reasonable, and it will be resolved correctly. But as my daily reading covers many of the lists I have noticed a high proportion of posters for whom JLR can do nothing good nor right - despite the fact that they love the cars that JLR makes. Of course improvements in customer relations can and should be made...but a phrase comes into my mind along with the voice that spoke it often: my grade 6 teacher's voice: "Give credit where credit is due". And how often is the attitude of the customer a factor in the treatment received?
Anyway, this is a good ending to a bad story. Luc: how about a short run in July to Victoria for Jaguars on the Island? (see how happy my F-Type is to be there?):

The following 2 users liked this post by sov211:
Carbuff2 (04-15-2019), JgaXkr (04-15-2019)
Old 04-18-2019, 11:36 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Bravo! ; now, could someone else please say something positive about the way JLR deals with its customers? My experience (over the ownership of many Jaguars) has been totally positive. Others have had difficult issues, and occasionally dealers have been less than helpful, but as we have seen that the dealers are often constrained by circumstances: not being able to repeat the fault, occasionally not being able to even find it or its cause, having to get approval for replacements further up (as in this case, the approval was given - and I had one experience of that as well for a very expensive part). Forums tend to act as collectors for problems (fair enough) but they also act as sounding boards for both reasonable and, too often, unreasonable complaints. Luc's was entirely reasonable, and it will be resolved correctly. But as my daily reading covers many of the lists I have noticed a high proportion of posters for whom JLR can do nothing good nor right - despite the fact that they love the cars that JLR makes. Of course improvements in customer relations can and should be made...but a phrase comes into my mind along with the voice that spoke it often: my grade 6 teacher's voice: "Give credit where credit is due". And how often is the attitude of the customer a factor in the treatment received?
Anyway, this is a good ending to a bad story. Luc: how about a short run in July to Victoria for Jaguars on the Island? (see how happy my F-Type is to be there?):

Sov211:

I agree, it certainly seems to me that JLR has done right by Luc and I applaud them for it. Not sure why it took a month to get the parts, but seems like JLR has done everything they could do otherwise to this point.

Luc, how you feeling at this point?

The following 2 users liked this post by rbsj:
JgaXkr (04-18-2019), sov211 (04-18-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:22 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

​​​
Reasonable?
​​​​
I say it was nice of them to do it. I am sure they gave you loaners too so it's not like you were without transportation.

Old 04-29-2019, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by rbsj
Sov211:

I agree, it certainly seems to me that JLR has done right by Luc and I applaud them for it. Not sure why it took a month to get the parts, but seems like JLR has done everything they could do otherwise to this point.

Luc, how you feeling at this point?

The latest (and hopefully last!) comical wrinkle to this story: the techs damaged the new transmission during installation and had to order another one!
Happily, I was on vacation at the time (which is also the reason for the delayed update).

Picked up the car yesterday. Oddly, the invoice wasn't ready. They said they'll email it, and mail the comp cheque, on Monday.

Seems to drive normally so far. I'm driving tentatively, as you can imagine and understand. This feeling will surely fade over time provided there are no more issues.
The shifter feels notchy, but consistently so. Clutch pedal a touch heavier. Grab feels more immediate, which is good. Really highlights how bad the tires are .

I'll share the invoice when I get it.

My SO is still incensed at the whole situation, mostly because she's concerned for my safety (bless). I hope there are no more issues in the near future, otherwise she may murder someone .

SinF (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Congratulations on getting your car back. Keep in mind, new transmission should be broken in. This means driving it gently for the first couple hundred miles AND this means fluid change within 1000 miles. Make sure that FFL-3 fluid is used, it is special fluid for a manual gearbox. You have to remind them about it, as this isn't something thy typically do/have on hand.

I had my transmission replaced after multiple clutch failures. The dealer filled new transmission with the wrong fluid. I would have been on third transmission now if I didn't run oil analysis. Now I have paperwork to show that happened, so if transmission fails again, even out of warranty, I'd have strong claim.

It is absolutely important to retain all paperwork. Make sure they issue you detailed invoice and keep this invoice in a safe place. Sadly, I don't think this would be the end of manual transmission saga (for you or me).

Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

The latest (and hopefully last!) comical wrinkle to this story: the techs damaged the new transmission during installation and had to order another one!
It's impossible to damage that tranny during the installation process unless they dropped the damned thing.

Originally Posted by SinF
Keep in mind, new transmission should be broken in. This means driving it gently for the first couple hundred miles AND this means fluid change within 1000 miles. Make sure that FFL-3 fluid is used, it is special fluid for a manual gearbox. You have to remind them about it, as this isn't something thy typically do/have on hand..
If it's a new tranny, the oil in an MT shouldn't need to be changed any sooner than 30k miles unless it sees substantial time on the track and you're relying on the sychros to speed match the engine and tranny.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
It's impossible to damage that tranny during the installation process unless they dropped the damned thing.

If it's a new tranny, the oil in an MT shouldn't need to be changed any sooner than 30k miles...
From the service advisor:

"When we were trying to reinstall transmission after repairs, the technician damaged the bell housing of transmission which cannot be welded back for safety reasons."

He also said JLR guarantees original transmission fluid in the mt for 80 000 km.

Old 04-29-2019, 09:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

From the service advisor:

"When we were trying to reinstall transmission after repairs, the technician damaged the bell housing of transmission which cannot be welded back for safety reasons."

He also said JLR guarantees original transmission fluid in the mt for 80 000 km.
Sure sounds like he dropped it!

Quick Reply: CPO Lemon?? Advice please