F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom wheel suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:16 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Im not saying it could never happen, primarily on a track, but the much more likely scenario in a real city driving situation is you hit a pothole and dent a front. When this happens, look to shell out about a grand to repair a forged three piece where the lip can be repaired or replaced. A one piece forged, look to spend $1500 on a wheel replacement. The cast, you buy another for $250, and keep it moving.

In real world city driving situations, what makes the most sense?
On one of barrels on my three piece ForgeLine wheels for my other car needed to be replace, It was only $450 for the barrel. They come with a warranty that covers track usage and are used in many racing classes. I haven't checked yet to see if they offer the correct bolt pattern for our cars but they say they can fit any application. Supposedly made in the US. They were not $250 a piece though.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

NO ONE ON THIS FORUM drives their F hard enough to go beyond the practical limits of any wheel you choose that is being regularly sold.
Aside from the fact that most wheel failures occur from poor quality control and not so much from excessive stresses from hard driving; you're missing my main point. Most wheel manufacturers don't engineer their wheels period, much less to perform well in a crash. And HRE does that.

Wheel design is the single most important factor in the small overlap test. If the wheel doesn't crush/fracture properly, it leads to the wheel and tire being forced into the driver/passenger compartment and crushing the occupants legs. Most people will never been in an accident where this comes into play, but for those who do, design is critical. I'm personally not willing to risk it.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-14-2016)
Old 07-14-2016, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Aside from the fact that most wheel failures occur from poor quality control and not so much from excessive stresses from hard driving; you're missing my main point. Most wheel manufacturers don't engineer their wheels period, much less to perform well in a crash. And HRE does that.

Wheel design is the single most important factor in the small overlap test. If the wheel doesn't crush/fracture properly, it leads to the wheel and tire being forced into the driver/passenger compartment and crushing the occupants legs. Most people will never been in an accident where this comes into play, but for those who do, design is critical. I'm personally not willing to risk it.
So how do you know?

Are you stuck buying HRE's the rest of your life because thats the only company that you know of that engineers their own wheels to your liking?

Do you ask companies are their wheels engineered? If they are DOT and TUV approved?

Nothing wrong with being brand loyal. I get that. I know for a fact my fragile, $8K Forgiatos wouldn't have sustained that force as seen in that picture. I dented the hoop hitting the curb parking.

I still say get the wheels you like and 99% of the time, you'll be fine.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

So how do you know?

Are you stuck buying HRE's the rest of your life because thats the only company that you know of that engineers their own wheels to your liking?

Do you ask companies are their wheels engineered? If they are DOT and TUV approved?

Nothing wrong with being brand loyal. I get that. I know for a fact my fragile, $8K Forgiatos wouldn't have sustained that force as seen in that picture. I dented the hoop hitting the curb parking.

I still say get the wheels you like and 99% of the time, you'll be fine.
I've never bought a set of HREs, but when I buy wheels it will be from them. If any companies wheels were dot approved, they would be stamped as such. That being said, a $250 wheel isn't engineered with any of these concerns in mind, that price simply isn't high enough to pay for the overhead. I don't want a 1% chance of not being fine, so I'll not be cheap.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
I've never bought a set of HREs, but when I buy wheels it will be from them. If any companies wheels were dot approved, they would be stamped as such. That being said, a $250 wheel isn't engineered with any of these concerns in mind, that price simply isn't high enough to pay for the overhead. I don't want a 1% chance of not being fine, so I'll not be cheap.
No doubt! I bought some very expensive Forgiatos recently and like I said and they are the most fragile wheels I've ever owned by far. I guess I have a bitter taste in my mouth about what quality means in terms of wheels. To me because the wheels are hand made, labor intensive, three piece wheel that uses better forged aluminum and such didn't necessarily equate to being safer or any stronger for that matter. In my experience, it simply meant a very expensive repair when city roads damage them.

I seem to be very hard on wheels mostly dents and curb rash, just never had one fail entirely from driving before.

Our outlooks are entirely different.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 07-14-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

If you ring up Koenigsegg they might make you some wheels from Carbon Fiber.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:28 PM
Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Not cheap and I don't know if they would clear the ceramics:

20" PUR 4OUR Forged Staggered Wheels Pirelli Tires 2016 Jaguar F Type R Coupe | eBay
I think I've seen those wheels before and they belonged to someone on this forum. As I recall they were on a Stratus Grey R.