F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dash vent stuck in open position

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dash vent stuck in open position

I noticed that when I turned off the ventilation system, the dash vent didn't close. Numerous ignition start/stop, cycling the ventilation system on/off, and changing the setting between "auto" and "always open" didn't fix it. Now it's stuck open.

That auto-closing vent mechanism has never inspired confidence in my particular F-Type. It would sometimes not open fully -- off by a couple of mm. Also I sometimes see some indication of wear on the raised parts near the vents, as if it was rubbing on something as it opened/closed. I bet it wasn't installed quite right originally, or is defective...

My concern is that the dealer will have to take apart the dashboard to fix it, and that the dash will never be tight and squeak-free again after that.

I still love this vehicle, but I am starting to feel concerned about how often it's been in the shop after just a few weeks of ownership. Lots of little things add up to the seeds of dissatisfaction. If the dealer wasn't conveniently located I would be seriously irritated by now.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What are some of the other issues you've noticed that you mention?

Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The mechanism needs a replacement for sure.

Although, i am not quite sure the entire dash has to be removed. I believe that section is independent of the rest. Should be an easy swap.

You can always call the dealer to confirm the above.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:11 PM

I called Jaguar to ask, and they set up a case for me. Someone from the head office called me back, and said that the dash needs to be disassembled, but that it's a standard kind of repair that the dealer should be capable of doing to my satisfaction. She also said they're aware of "2-3 cases in the USA" of this situation.

I guess the degree of disassembly is open for interpretation and I won't know until I get it done.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tiger4366
What are some of the other issues you've noticed that you mention?
Info display scratched on delivery
Scuff inside, under rear window where top was rubbing
Trim covering retracted convertible top doesn't lay flat
Rear suspension isolator tube fix
Locking storage compartment recall/fix

Again not a huge deal, but I am not happy at the prospect of having even part of my dash disassembled.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:25 AM

Dealer looked at it yesterday and says they need the car for 3-4 days to disassemble and reassemble the center part of the dash. They've ordered a motor assembly for the vent in preparation.

Will have the service done in November. Hope the dash doesn't wind up as a squeaky, loose mess afterwards. The service manager told me that the dash isn't so different from some other Jag models and so it's not as bad as it sounds since they have experience with those.

Old 10-12-2013, 01:34 AM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 928 Likes on 607 Posts

When I bought my XKR in July, I had the satellite radio software updated and the dealer froze the entertainment module, which resulted in having it removed and sent to New Jersey for fixing. I told the dealer I didn't want my car marked up and I didn't want a refurbished module.

I understand your concerns. I don't like anyone messing with my car--too much sh?? happens. Fortunately, in my case, everything worked out fine.

When you take your car in let them know you want your seats covered and any sensitive trim areas covered to avoid any scratches. Take some detailed interior pictures before taking the car in. This may sound a bit silly; however, people just don't care, it's your car and you want it returned to you in the same condition with the problem fixed properly. Good-luck.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 363 Posts

I too would be unhappy having my brand new car taken apart. I agree to let everyone know, including the service manager that you are super **** about your car and don't want any damage whatsoever to your car inside or out. Ask for everything to be covered before work begins and then take you time checking everything before leaving with your car when it is fixed. Good Luck.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:35 AM

I have been getting good service from the dealer, and have been in contact with the service manager. He understands my concerns.

I'm going to have this done some time in November once the weather turns.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:10 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Got my car Friday... have 250 miles on it so far... vent is now stuck up as well. Did all of the same things you did and it's still stuck. I expected a few gremlins, so I'm not worried. Did yours get fixed to your satisfaction and is it working now without issue?

Am I the only one that's noticed how insanely hot the dash gets when the heat is on? Holy hell it's warm. And if you have the AC on and open the windows/doors/top down, it condensates really badly as well. Easy fixes I am sure.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Had my vent fixed this weekend when I was out of town. The part is in and it sounds/looks/works fine. No issues like some had feared with dash rattle or with the dash not being secured properly.

The following users liked this post:
pabanker (04-11-2014)
Old 11-16-2013, 02:04 PM

Believe it or not, mine magically just started working again about a week ago, so I cancelled the service I had planned for it.

I guess it will break again at some point. When it was in the broken state, I could hear a small 'tick' when it should have been going down, as if some little bit of the mechanism was trying to engage but couldn't.

For now I will leave it alone, until it breaks again. Good to know that it can be fixed without ruining the tautness of the dash.

Old 12-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

My F-type had this same issue of the vent staying in the open position. I first noticed it in September (bought the car 6/18), but it was not a big enough deal for me to get it fixed right away. I stopped by my local dealership a couple of weeks ago and they confirmed that they needed to replace the module. I took about a week and a half for them to get the part. I brought the car in two weeks ago for the repair (around 1pm on a Friday) and they called me at 4 pm that day with the issue completely fixed. Everything is tidy and put back together solidly. Very happy with an easy fix...gotta love a warranty.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Wow, sounds like more than a few people have had this problem! I don't understand why they felt this was a worthwhile feature in a sports car. I mean, what's it for--keeping rats out of the HVAC system??

Old 12-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have the same issue. Going to call them this week.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 PM

Finally got this fixed. Dealer had a part ordered, but then the one that arrived was "bad" so they ordered another one.

They don't seem to have done any major disassembly on the dash to fix this.

The dash vent is now working as expected.

Still, I can't help the feeling that this part of the F-Type is going to be a source of problems. That was the feeling I had the first moment I laid eyes on an F-Type... just too delicate.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

When it was in the broken state, I could hear a small 'tick' when it should have been going down, as if some little bit of the mechanism was trying to engage but couldn't.
I had exactly the same issue, although the vent wasn't stuck open – it would only rise half way up, and then stick in the same position on the way down.

Dealer managed to fix it satisfactorily, but as they had my car for six weeks while they replaced the engine, I guess they had plenty of time to do so!

Old 03-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Mine isn't stuck but it's started to sometimes make what may be that same slight ticking/ratcheting noise when raising or lowering, so I suspect it's something I'll need to keep an eye on

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The interior design is the only issue with F-type. They should have used vents like XJ instead of installing heavy/complicated air vents. Same thing goes for door handles. I would have preferred camera by default instead of these 2 things.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 PM

I just know this thing is going to be a continuing sore spot over the years.

My new works, but its motion is slightly uneven, and it makes a bit of a creaking sound as it goes up and down.

Doesn't inspire confidence.

Quick Reply: Dash vent stuck in open position