Sponsored by:

Dead battery - How to get trunk open?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneAspen
Looks like the battery is really dead

Got the trunk open, took the old battery out, and hooked it up to a Battery Tender Plus I bought. The amber and green lights kept alternating, and according to the manual, that's either incorrect polarity (and I know I hooked them up right), or a dead/defective battery.

Just to be sure, I hooked the tender up to another old car battery I had which died a couple years ago, and same thing happened.

I'm going to call the service department next week when they open after the holiday and tell them the situation, and hope maybe a new battery will be covered under the CPO warranty I have. I just hope they don't insist it be towed to the service department instead of me just bringing the battery in, because I really don't want to fool with them having to undo the shift lever, parking brake, push it out of the garage, etc. I'd rather just pay for a new battery myself.

Wish I'd known about the module reset sooner. I should have done more research when the Low Battery warnings first happened. Oh well. Live and learn.
Tenders won't work to restore a completely dead battery. What works best for that is a 6 amp "stupid" charger. (they look like lunch boxes with cables) Give this a try if you don't have one: Remove battery from car. Gently rock the dead battery back and forth to move the acid around a bit. Then connect the donor battery to the dead one (+ to +, -to -). Let it sit for an hour. Then disconnect and see if you get an orange light with the tender. Let it charge if you do. My current F-Type battery was drained twice to the point where the tender would not work on it. I'm certain the battery life was diminished, but it still has a lot left.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:43 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Tenders won't work to restore a completely dead battery. What works best for that is a 6 amp "stupid" charger. (they look like lunch boxes with cables) Give this a try if you don't have one: Remove battery from car. Gently rock the dead battery back and forth to move the acid around a bit. Then connect the donor battery to the dead one (+ to +, -to -). Let it sit for an hour. Then disconnect and see if you get an orange light with the tender. Let it charge if you do. My current F-Type battery was drained twice to the point where the tender would not work on it. I'm certain the battery life was diminished, but it still has a lot left.
Thanks for the info! Does the donor battery have to be unhooked from its vehicle's system for it to be used this way? And will using it as a donor for an hour or so put too much drain on it?

Old 07-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info! Does the donor battery have to be unhooked from its vehicle's system for it to be used this way? And will using it as a donor for an hour or so put too much drain on it?
Oh...better yet! If the donor battery is in another car, jumper to your F-Type battery while the other car is running. Make certain both sides of the battery are disconnected from the Jag. Leave the other car charging the battery for about 10 minutes, then it should have enough juice for the tender to recognize it as a real battery.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:04 PM

Oh...better yet! If the donor battery is in another car, jumper to your F-Type battery while the other car is running. Make certain both sides of the battery are disconnected from the Jag. Leave the other car charging the battery for about 10 minutes, then it should have enough juice for the tender to recognize it as a real battery.
I'll give that a try - thanks!

Old 07-04-2016, 10:11 AM

Yesterday, I ran my other car for 10 minutes with the Jag's battery connected (while out of the Jag), and then the Battery Tender did NOT cycle the amber and green LEDs, which is supposed to mean it's charging.

Left it that way all day until I went to bed and disconnected it, because I didn't want it charging overnight while I was asleep, just in case there were any problems.

This morning, I went to hook the BT up again, and it cycled the LEDs again and wouldn't start charging.

I wonder if this battery is so drained or damaged that it's just not going to hold a charge? I'm starting to not trust it. I'll call the service department tomorrow when they open up and see if they'll cover it under warranty. If not, I'll probably just buy a new Interstate to replace it, and make sure I reset that module if I ever see the Low Battery warning again.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:29 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

I would hedge my bets that the battery is in fact damaged internally...possibly either an open or short circuit cell, which could cause the symptoms you describe with your charger.

10 minutes 'jump' charging ought to be sufficient juice into a flat battery to enable a reasonable BT (Ctek or the like) to take control thereafter.

The batteries do get abused whilst being at the dealers, especially if it's an ex demo car, and recovering from real low voltage cycles can, if it is a lemon battery, cause it to give up the ghost.

Once you do get sorted with a new battery, invest in a CTEK if you haven't already.
We have had our car a year, and when I park it up, I just plug it into the comfort lead which takes all of 20 secs, and it's good to go. You'd be amased just how much current the F-Type draws even in its 'quiescent' state...it's hungry!

Old 07-04-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Yesterday, I ran my other car for 10 minutes with the Jag's battery connected (while out of the Jag), and then the Battery Tender did NOT cycle the amber and green LEDs, which is supposed to mean it's charging.

Left it that way all day until I went to bed and disconnected it, because I didn't want it charging overnight while I was asleep, just in case there were any problems.

This morning, I went to hook the BT up again, and it cycled the LEDs again and wouldn't start charging.

I wonder if this battery is so drained or damaged that it's just not going to hold a charge? I'm starting to not trust it. I'll call the service department tomorrow when they open up and see if they'll cover it under warranty. If not, I'll probably just buy a new Interstate to replace it, and make sure I reset that module if I ever see the Low Battery warning again.
Yep, that battery appears to be a goner.

Old 07-06-2016, 02:37 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

I was having this problem and it killed the battery, just got the battery replaced under warranty but the basic underlying problem was fixed but the hard reset, disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhingd,
I had this same issue. had the car hooked up to a tender over the winter. Car is totally dead. Per your suggestion in this thread, I tried using a battery and also tried a 15A charger and no luck getting any power to open the trunk. Car is totally dead. Any other suggestions or tricks?
If I have to have it towed, how will they move it with it locked in park?

Old 03-23-2019, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=cbrifly;2044560]Unhingd,
I had this same issue. had the car hooked up to a tender over the winter. Car is totally dead. Per your suggestion in this thread, I tried using a battery and also tried a 15A charger and no luck getting any power to open the trunk. Car is totally dead. Any other suggestions or tricks?

When I connect the charger to the terminals on the passenger under hood side, voltage shows 12.8-13v. The tender says the battery is good....

Old 03-23-2019, 09:20 PM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=cbrifly;2044569]
Originally Posted by cbrifly
Unhingd,

When I connect the charger to the terminals on the passenger under hood side, voltage shows 12.8-13v. The tender says the battery is good....
What voltage do you read across those two terminals without the charger or another battery attached?
Next thing to try is to leave the charger attached for about 20 minutes before you try to open the rear hatch. Report back and we’ll try something else.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM

I tried the charger on for 20-30 min. Voltage on the charger went high 14-15V at 2A. I then put it back on the Batteryminder. It charged for about 30min then went to maintain.

I took it off the BatteryMinder and immediately measured 13.7V, About 10min later it dropped to 13.05V. Still nada.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

I tried the charger on for 20-30 min. Voltage on the charger went high 14-15V at 2A. I then put it back on the Batteryminder. It charged for about 30min then went to maintain.

I took it off the BatteryMinder and immediately measured 13.7V, About 10min later it dropped to 13.05V. Still nada.
Nothing wrong with your battery, then. Something wrong with one of your control modules, or a major fuse blew. In an older car, I would say a fusible link fried. Not certain in the case of the F-Type. I believe there is a fuse box under the hood on the left side of the firewall. I’m 1000 miles from my car and shop manual computer now, so I can’t offer additional guidance until Monday.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Any rodents getting into your car storage area? Sounds like you could have a wiring nibbler ....

Old 03-24-2019, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Any rodents getting into your car storage area? Sounds like you could have a wiring nibbler ....
I can’t rule it out. Stored in attached garage. I haven’t moved the car since the power is dead but no signs of droppings around the car. No odor in the car either. I don’t see anything strange in the engine compartment from above. Haven’t seen anything in the garage over the winter either.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:29 AM

Nothing wrong with your battery, then. Something wrong with one of your control modules, or a major fuse blew. In an older car, I would say a fusible link fried. Not certain in the case of the F-Type. I believe there is a fuse box under the hood on the left side of the firewall. I’m 1000 miles from my car and shop manual computer now, so I can’t offer additional guidance until Monday.
New development or I missed something earlier. I go out to the car this morning and try the key fob, trunk and open the door. Windows don’t move, car doesn’t recognize fob and panels don’t light up. I accidentally hit the horn and it works. Then I push some of the steering wheel controls figuring they may have power. When I press the mode button, the center console screen lights up and I have radio, nav and phone. Buttons around the touchscreen are not active though. I push the park brake and it activates the brake. park light also shows on the instrument cluster. I know I tried this yesterday and nothing happened so I can’t explain that. Rear view mirror garage opener works. Glove box won’t open, seats won’t move, window/mirror controls non responsive. Stop start no response. Trunk no response. Headlights and wipers no response. AC controls no response. Hazard lights no response. Car doesn’t wake up other than center touchscreen.

Last edited by cbrifly; 03-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 AM

Now passenger window switch works and window can be raised and lowered. Also should probably mention that I left the battery tender on the charging posts overnight.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member

Now passenger window switch works and window can be raised and lowered. Also should probably mention that I left the battery tender on the charging posts overnight.
Disconnect the battery for a minute or two. That will reboot most of the modules on the car, and everything might start working properly. However, you might have to undertake a special rain dance to reset the windows auto-up function.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-24-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:49 AM

Disconnect the battery for a minute or two. That will reboot most of the modules on the car, and everything might start working properly. However, you might have to undertake a special rain dance to rest the windows auto-up function.
Still can't get into the trunk....

Old 03-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I left the iPhone charger plug in the power outlet (but no phone) and the next day I got the low battery sign. I was surprised that the charge plug alone would drain the battery and more surprised that the vehicle's management system didn't turn off all the power drains automatically. I just hooked up the battery manager and that took care of it. Something else to be aware of.

Quick Reply: Dead battery - How to get trunk open?