F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead battery - How to get trunk open?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bigger issue now is the EPB is on after trying the switch...but won't release. If I pull up on the EPB switch, I can hear the EPB system energize and the "PARK" light comes up on the instrument cluster, when I push down on the EPB Switch nothing happens. I'm guessing the ignition needs to be on to release it electrically. If I have to have this thing towed, it's going to have to be pulled out of the garage with the parking brake on. The car is also nestled close to a wall on the passenger side which limits what I might be able to do with wheel dolly. I'm still trying to get into the trunk to disconnect the battery and get this all to reset.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Do you have another car and jumper cables? I’d skip the charger and try a good battery.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by cbrifly
Bigger issue now is the EPB is on after trying the switch...but won't release. If I pull up on the EPB switch, I can hear the EPB system energize and the "PARK" light comes up on the instrument cluster, when I push down on the EPB Switch nothing happens. I'm guessing the ignition needs to be on to release it electrically. If I have to have this thing towed, it's going to have to be pulled out of the garage with the parking brake on. The car is also nestled close to a wall on the passenger side which limits what I might be able to do with wheel dolly. I'm still trying to get into the trunk to disconnect the battery and get this all to reset.
There is a method for releasing the EPB if everything is dead. It’s complicated and best left to a Jag mechanic.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by DJS
Do you have another car and jumper cables? I’d skip the charger and try a good battery.
tried that no good.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:25 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Unhingd

Nothing wrong with your battery, then. Something wrong with one of your control modules, or a major fuse blew. In an older car, I would say a fusible link fried. Not certain in the case of the F-Type. I believe there is a fuse box under the hood on the left side of the firewall. I’m 1000 miles from my car and shop manual computer now, so I can’t offer additional guidance until Monday.
Just to close this out....had the car towed to the local shop with a Jaguar tech...he had to go into the junction box in the passenger footwell to directly power the trunk release to access the trunk. Performed a hard reset by disconnecting batts. Everything fine. Batteries test fine but replacing them now that they are 5 yrs old and I want to reduce the chances of this happening again.

Thanks for the help!