XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Replacing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing brake pads

So my car hit 32k miles about a month ago so I took it in for service,had the scheduled maintenance done and got an oil change. The service guy told me they topped off all fluids and And changed the brakes and everything was ok.

This week I get a letter in the mail from the dealer informing me that during my most recent service visit they identified that "brakes require attention in the near future- under 3mm to 5mm lining remaining". So I go back to the paper they gave me after I took it in for service and saw the note about the brakes on there, I know it's kind of my fault for not reading it but still kind of mad that he didn't mention this at the time.

I'm still under factory warranty but I assume it doesn't cover brake pads/rotors. Do I have to get my brakes done at the dealer to keep my factory warranty/cpo warranty? What is the usual price for having the pads or pads+rotors replaced? What is the turnaround for changing brakes/rotors or both?

Also one last thing, they had my car for about 4 days checking some other stuff I had pointed out during service. However instead of them giving me a loaner or courtesy vehicle they gave me a rental from enterprise which I had to pay for the daily insurance. I was under the impression that all dealers have courtesy vehicles and not rentals when performing service.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I don't think your warranty is in danger if you get the work done at an independent. Almost certainly "wear" isn't covered.

I bought EBC reds for my 2010 XFR - online I think front and rear came out at about $200. When I had my shop fit them they noted the front rotors were at the lower limit so I had them replace them. They bought the parts from the local Jag dealer and were $140 each. Whole job was done in a couple of hours. I like the EBC reds because they appear to generate less dust and they don't "grab" on first braking but they sure as sh*t will stop you in a hurry.

Old 04-02-2016, 01:04 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteJag
However instead of them giving me a loaner or courtesy vehicle they gave me a rental from enterprise which I had to pay for the daily insurance. I was under the impression that all dealers have courtesy vehicles and not rentals when performing service.
That's how it works with most Jag dealers. Usually your own car insurance covers rentals so there's no need to buy it from the rental car company too. If not your own car insurance, many credit cards include the insurance.

Best check to be sure.

Old 04-02-2016, 03:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

However instead of them giving me a loaner or courtesy vehicle they gave me a rental from enterprise which I had to pay for the daily insurance. I was under the impression that all dealers have courtesy vehicles and not rentals when performing service.
My Audi dealer switched from loaners to a free rental from Enterprise - I guess its more cost effective for them and easier to manage when the loaner is "booked up". As it's a courtesy I don't suppose they are duty bound to supply anything much less another Jag ;-)

Old 04-02-2016, 06:53 PM
DPK
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
My Audi dealer switched from loaners to a free rental from Enterprise -
Same here...My regular auto insurance covers it too..

Old 04-03-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 360 Likes on 273 Posts

Here in CA I would always check my policy before assuming your insurance will give you rental coverage. And most Jag dealers do have service loaners but not all, Alvarez Jag here in Riverside only has 6, Jag of Anaheim Hills rents you a Jag or Range Rover through Enterprise.
As far as your brakes, Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act basically makes it illegal to for a manufacturer to void your warranty because you used an "Outside source" to get work done. So NO, you don't have to have Jag do your brakes.
Going price to do Jag pads and rotors at the dealer, $900-$1300.
The pads are VERY simple if you have ANY brake knowledge and pads all you need, there are a few good write ups on how to do them here in the Jaguar forums. Ceramic aftermarket pads are WAAAY better then the factory metallic pad anyways. R1 Concepts in Cerritos (I've used their product for over 15 years, ALWAYS top notch service) can do rotors and pads for way less than the dealer, if you need rotors and pads. You want to do your brakes BEFORE the Brake light comes on for service though, then you can reuse the brake pad wear sensor.

Last edited by Bigg Will; 04-03-2016 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NuJagLuvr (04-06-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Here in CA I would always check my policy before assuming your insurance will give you rental coverage. And most Jag dealers do have service loaners but not all, Alvarez Jag here in Riverside only has 6, Jag of Anaheim Hills rents you a Jag or Range Rover through Enterprise.
As far as your brakes, Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act basically makes it illegal to for a manufacturer to void your warranty because you used an "Outside source" to get work done. So NO, you don't have to have Jag do your brakes.
Going price to do Jag pads and rotors at the dealer, $900-$1300.
The pads are VERY simple if you have ANY brake knowledge and pads all you need, there are a few good write ups on how to do them here in the Jaguar forums. Ceramic aftermarket pads are WAAAY better then the factory metallic pad anyways. R1 Concepts in Cerritos (I've used their product for over 15 years, ALWAYS top notch service) can do rotors and pads for way less than the dealer, if you need rotors and pads. You want to do your brakes BEFORE the Brake light comes on for service though, then you can reuse the brake pad wear sensor.
Thanks for all the information, jaguar Alvarez is the closest dealer in my area. But I have some business in LA tomorrow so I will get a second opinion at the place you mentioned. Btw is it necessary to change the rotors and the pads at the same time. The letter the dealer sent me says it's just the pads are losing thickness. Is there like a certain amount of times you can forego changing the rotors? Or do you have to do rotors+pads at the same time.

Old 04-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Or do you have to do rotors+pads at the same time.
No. The rotors are to be evaluated at the time the pads are changed. If they are free of severe surface defects and are at or above the minimum thickness specified by Jag, they can go back into service.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Two points. R1 sells brakes but you will still need someone to install them. Just got some for the girlfriends Optima and my G35.

And I completely agree with the EBC Redstuffs. Awesome pads. No annoying grabbiness like the stock pads and dust is significantly less.

Old 04-04-2016, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the information, jaguar Alvarez is the closest dealer in my area. But I have some business in LA tomorrow so I will get a second opinion at the place you mentioned. Btw is it necessary to change the rotors and the pads at the same time. The letter the dealer sent me says it's just the pads are losing thickness. Is there like a certain amount of times you can forego changing the rotors? Or do you have to do rotors+pads at the same time.
Be careful with Alvarez, they charge to the MAX for service, I use them only for Jag parts, Art H. at Anaheim Hills Jag-RR is my got to guy for service, He's taken good care of me and Kyanite.

Old 04-04-2016, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 426 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
Be careful with Alvarez, they charge to the MAX for service, I use them only for Jag parts, Art H. at Anaheim Hills Jag-RR is my got to guy for service, He's taken good care of me and Kyanite.
I actually use Jay Kaufman at AH Jaguar. Always have a positive experience there.

Old 04-05-2016, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
I actually use Jay Kaufman at AH Jaguar. Always have a positive experience there.
I stand corrected sir..LoL