F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer trying to scam me

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

They're called ******* ships for a reason...their job is to sell you things and services you don't need...plain and simple.

Old 11-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by mc5mojo
Here is the text I got.

Hey this is [Removed} with Service. On the driver rear tire, there is a nail on the side of the tire pretty close to the sidewall which is unrepairable. The other issue we run into with that is the tread depth difference. The fronts measure at 11mm which is still brand new but the rears measure at 7mm. We can leave the fronts alone but the rear would need two tires or else it will spin the rear differential at different speeds which will cause damage in the long run. For two tires installed we'd be looking at $756. Let me know what you'd like us to do. Thanks.

Utterly unsatisfactory on several levels.

I'd be furious.

I have told them to figure this out but I am not buying tyres. .

The wear problem must be properly addressed and resolved.

The nail-in-the-tire is on you.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-10-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by buickfunnycar.com
They're called ******* ships for a reason...their job is to sell you things and services you don't need...plain and simple.

Ahhhhhh.....the sublime luxury and comfort of painting with the extra-wide brush and 'plain and simple' summations !

Cheer
DD

Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

11mm? 7mm? I think he doesn't know how to measure tread depth.

I would get the door alignment sorted then go to a decent tire shop for the tire issue.

Old 11-10-2017, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

What dealership reports is not outside of realm of possibility, I had bad alignment from the factory and it ate my tires in a hurry. If this is the case, you will need to fix both alignment and get a set of tires. Others posted similar stories. However with such low miles they should cover tires under warranty.

I suggest you go and measure thread depth yourself. It isn't hard and you can watch Youtube video on how to do it.

If they are correctly measuring thread depth, putting on only one tires will chew up your differential. This is how it works.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
If they are correctly measuring thread depth, putting on only one tires will chew up your differential. This is how it works.
I don't think so. So do you guys routinely swap tires as they wear to balance the wear out? ....oh wait, you can't on a directional tire. Even on my E-diff equipped car my tires had 3/32's difference in wear side to side in 10,000 miles.....I'd suggest this kind of difference is normal.

The differential is designed to accomodate different wheel speeds as a car turns....and since it's turning most of the time, the differential is working always. A slight difference in circumference (less than .5%) isn't going to significantly increase differential wear IMO.

Many AWD cars that use staggered wheel sizes have larger rears that are CLOSE to the front wheel circumferences....but not exactly identical. Same principle.

2 cents,

Dave

Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

My Wife's car is a 2017 Mercedes GLC43 AMG which has the optional staggered 20" wheel option; 255/45R20 fronts and 285/40R20 rears. This car is also available with 19" tires/wheels in a "square" configuration (the same front and rear) with no mechanical differences in the differentials or AWD system. the difference in circumference is 0.186" or 0.2% ...about the same difference as you'd get with 2/32" difference in wear between one tire and the other. The difference between the AWD F type with 20" wheels is almost identical to my MB example.

Dave

Old 11-10-2017, 04:42 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealer sent me another text this afternoon. Basically saying there is no warranty on the tyres as they are high performance tyres and should only last between 15,000 and 20,000 miles. So I called them and explained how I could understand this not being a warranty issue if I had close to that mileage but not at 1,200 miles. The service rep agrees the tyres show no signs of abuse and have even wear across the tyres. But unfortunately he cannot explain why they are worn and their is no warranty. I have told him he needs to go back to Jaguar USA or their rep and have them explain the issue because there are only 2 things this can be 1. The tyres are defective and need to be replaced. or 2. The car is defective and needs to be repaired and the tyres replaced. Either way I bought the car from them 3 months and 1,200 miles ago from them and they need to resolve this.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer sent me another text this afternoon. Basically saying there is no warranty on the tyres as they are high performance tyres and should only last between 15,000 and 20,000 miles. So I called them and explained how I could understand this not being a warranty issue if I had close to that mileage but not at 1,200 miles. The service rep agrees the tyres show no signs of abuse and have even wear across the tyres. But unfortunately he cannot explain why they are worn and their is no warranty. I have told him he needs to go back to Jaguar USA or their rep and have them explain the issue because there are only 2 things this can be 1. The tyres are defective and need to be replaced. or 2. The car is defective and needs to be repaired and the tyres replaced. Either way I bought the car from them 3 months and 1,200 miles ago from them and they need to resolve this.
I agree.

True about the warranty....

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty

"Mileage warranty on tires fitted as Original Equipment (Pirelli tires supplied as Original Equipment on new vehicles)"

.....however, having this kind of wear at 1200 miles is not something I would tolerate, either. Frankly, the dealer rep calling you about this issue without a proper explanation and/or plan of action seems ludicrous to me. Apparently he expected you to say 'yes' and shrug it off. What a bonehead.

I would get the service manager involved. The dealer rep should've gone to him in the first place. I suspect he didn't. If the SM cannot provide some sort of resolution then contact Jaguar customer assistance and see if their intervention will bring a resolution.

If the dealer was lying about the tread wear then they're in a double-pickle now.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-10-2017, 05:38 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

I would check and verify the wear yourself.

My wife took our new Range Rover Sport in for its first service a few years ago with barely 5k mikes on it. They called her later in the day to say it needed new pads and rotors. When I called to query WTF they backed off and said something about it being estimated wear (??!!). Brakes lasted fine for 25k miles before the rears needed replacement, fronts are still doing fine.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

From my experience with dealerships and from lots of reading of forums etc, it's fairly obvious that many dealers, but not all, will "try it on" with new owners to see if they can milk some extra $ for unnecessary replacement parts.
In this case I reckon it went something like this:
Slow leak - small nail detected "near" the sidewall (quite possibly repairable, but yes if it's too close to the sidewall it can't be safely repaired, I'd by taking that wheel/tyre to a tyre shop to seek a second opinion) - tell the customer it can't be repaired - hmmm, here's a chance to milk the customer for not just one but two new rear tyres - tell the customer a story about excessive tread wear on the rear tyres, AWD diffs blah blah, and hope they fall for it.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

The auto service industry is extremely sexist and any woman is usually targeted as a mark and stupid. Been that way for decades.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
The auto service industry is extremely sexist and any woman is usually targeted as a mark and stupid. Been that way for decades.
That may be true Burt but nowhere can I see where the OP has told us his/her gender, could be a bloke for all we know and most likely is!

Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

The car is a base with an open diff. Every time you drive around a curve, a corner, on a bumpy road or lose traction for any reason the wheels are spinning at different speeds. As another member posted, even different tyre pressure will cause the wheels to spin at different speeds.

The car has 1200 miles on it, there have been no burn outs or tyres spinning for any reason. There is no way those tyres should have worn 4/32 in 1200 miles. They are the ContiSportContact 2. This is my first experience with this dealer and it's not a good one. I now don't believe anything they are telling me.

They still have the car so either they will fix the problem for free or I will take the car to a tyre shop and have them look at it.
The F-Type doesn't come with continental tires. You said you bought a 2017 new from the dealer. Are these your tires that you bought after the fact?

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (11-11-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 10:20 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

It shouldn't take any more to tell you to go somewhere else. This reminds me of the dealer (NOT JAGUAR) who wanted to sell me a crankcase flush for $200 when the car had 50K miles on it and had never had anything in the crankcase other than Mobil One. I can assure you I never went to that dealer ever again. Then there was my visit to Discount Tires when the guy says because its AWD I have to replace all four tires and not just the one that was bad. Just larceny and nothing more. Then there was the time the dealer put tires with the wrong load rating on the car and there was 300 pounds difference in the load limit. Its a constant battle. But kiss off this dealer and find a new home base. I expect that might not be easy in Utah, but I would respectfully suggest you limit your exposure to this dealer to the absolute minimum and use an indy for everything other than warranty work. I wouldn't let them near the car for anything else. A dealer that is this lacking in integrity should be avoided at all costs.

The JaguarUSA website reveals exactly one Jaguar dealer in Utah, so there is no point in being coy, and if indeed you did not purchase the car from them it is only fair that you say so.

Last edited by Suaro; 11-10-2017 at 10:33 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (11-11-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nati
The F-Type doesn't come with continental tires. You said you bought a 2017 new from the dealer. Are these your tires that you bought after the fact?
I did buy a 2017 F Type V6 manual new from the dealer with Continental tyres. Even Tirerack shows the Continental as the OE tyres for the 18 inch wheels

Old 11-11-2017, 02:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Doug
I agree.

True about the warranty....

https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us/.../tire-warranty

"Mileage warranty on tires fitted as Original Equipment (Pirelli tires supplied as Original Equipment on new vehicles)"

I don't know where I got the idea the car in question had Pirelli tires.

But, as it turns out, Continental likewise offers no tread life warranty on OEM tires.

Cheers
DD

Old 11-11-2017, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Being in business for 34 years and having the same phone numbers and emails (since early 90s on emails) I get real people and bots trying to scam me a dozen times a day.

Eventually you get better at spotting scammers and know how to shut them down right away. They do get more and more clever everyday though.

The key is not to get emotional over it. It is 2017 and scammers are more prolific than ever before. Relentless Tireless!!!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I did buy a 2017 F Type V6 manual new from the dealer with Continental tyres. Even Tirerack shows the Continental as the OE tyres for the 18 inch wheels
First I've heard of that. Interesting. Pretty sure that all prior year's came with pirellis. Certainly on the 19s and 20s.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Suaro
The JaguarUSA website reveals exactly one Jaguar dealer in Utah, so there is no point in being coy, and if indeed you did not purchase the car from them it is only fair that you say so.
I am not being coy, the first sentence I wrote says I bought it new from the local dealer and I have not hidden that I am in Utah. I have only removed the service tech's name because who knows if he is just the messenger so I don't see a need to use his name. The only reason the car is still at the dealer is because if the tyres are really down 4/32 then they need to resolve that issue as there is a defect somewhere. To be honest I am not 100% sure they do have that kind of wear. When they first told me that I asked them to remeasure in case they made an error. I do not know if they did but they are still saying they have that much wear on them, If I get time today I may go to the dealer and have them measure them in front of me.

Depending on how they handle this issue will determine how I use them in the future. No matter what happens though I will always be very wary of what they tell me.