F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer trying to scam me

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
First I've heard of that. Interesting. Pretty sure that all prior year's came with pirellis. Certainly on the 19s and 20s.
Even in 2017 the 19's and 20's came with Pirellis

Old 11-16-2017, 05:01 PM

So far no joy with the dealership. They offered to replace both tyres for $578. I declined as I am not paying to replace new tyres. I am now waiting to hear from the General manager of the dealership and the Area manager of Jaguar.

I did pick the car up as they have had it for a week and immediately took it to Discount Tire, who repaired the 'un-repairable" puncture. They also commented that all four tyres looked brand new.

If anyone contacts me from Jaguar they can explain why they treat their customers this way.

The following users liked this post:
JagRag (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 05:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by mc5mojo
So far no joy with the dealership. They offered to replace both tyres for $578. I declined as I am not paying to replace new tyres. I am now waiting to hear from the General manager of the dealership and the Area manager of Jaguar.

I did pick the car up as they have had it for a week and immediately took it to Discount Tire, who repaired the 'un-repairable" puncture. They also commented that all four tyres looked brand new.

If anyone contacts me from Jaguar they can explain why they treat their customers this way.
As I expected, the tire could be fixed. .....I'd also suggest checking the tread on a brand new tire as I wouldn't be surprized if they screwed up the wear by thinking the tire came with more tread than it actually did.

Dave

Old 01-09-2018, 06:35 PM

Just an update as this issue is still ongoing. Jaguar are as bad as the dealer.

So Jaguar technical department asked for pictures of the tyres so I took the vehicle to the dealership and they took pictures. Jaguar technical said they feel the tyres have excessive wear but it is from an alignment issue. Jaguar then told me I need to take the car back to the dealer and have the alignment checked and that I had to pay to have the check the alignment. As I don't trust the dealer I refused and asked Jaguar to provide the alignment specs and I would take it to an independent shop and have them check the alignment. Jaguar refused to provide the alignment specs (they must be a secret). I took it to the independent shop anyway who checked and confirmed the rear wheels are not out of alignment.

So I just got off the phone with Jaguar and their opinion is if I do not take the car to the dealership and pay for them to look at the alignment they are going to close the case. During all this time I have asked for the Area Manager to call me to resolve this and he/she will not call me.

So my next steps are to go to the Utah Division of Consumer protection and file a complaint as Jaguar is refusing to work on a warrantied vehicle unless I pay for it. Go to a local news channel or write the CEO a letter and see what they have to say.

Any recommendations?

Old 01-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

It sounded really odd to me so I went to measure my tires. I am in NO way easy on my car, I have 6600miles, it's an AWD. The rear have 4.4mm left (I am changing them). That is almost 6/32.
7mm would be almost 9/32. The tire NEW is 10/32 you be the judge. There is no 11/32, I call that BS

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...reModel=P+Zero

Old 01-09-2018, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Any recommendations?
To ask yourself if all of this is worth the hassle.

If tires are worn, replaces them elsewhere and never give any business to the dealership that didn't help.

Burt Gummer (01-09-2018)
Old 01-09-2018, 08:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

No kidding SinF couldn't agree more. Plus any service that can be done elsewhere like tires, alignment, oil change, brakes, why do people insist on going to a dealer?

There are different shops where there are experts at each individual task + cheaper = enough said.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:39 PM

I agree it's a hassle. My concern is no one can tell me why they have worn so quickly. I could put new tyres on but if this something on the vehicle causing the wear then the new tyres will wear just as badly.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I suggest make 100% sure alignment is spot-on, buy decent tires (MPSS or MP4S) and move on with your life.

As to reason, why is it so important? Maybe a valet went Ferris Bueller on your car? Maybe dealer swapped tires from a different F-type, one that they were trying to CPO. It is unlikely you will find out what happened even if you succeed beating new tires out of them.

Also, don't get another set of Pirelli P Zero, they are awful. New Michelin Pilot 4S will transform your car. You will regret not switching earlier.

Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi, I just realized you're in Utah (me too). Are you having this issue with Ken Garff or a different dealer?

Old 01-10-2018, 12:50 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I suggest make 100% sure alignment is spot-on, buy decent tires (MPSS or MP4S) and move on with your life.

As to reason, why is it so important? Maybe a valet went Ferris Bueller on your car? Maybe dealer swapped tires from a different F-type, one that they were trying to CPO. It is unlikely you will find out what happened even if you succeed beating new tires out of them.

Also, don't get another set of Pirelli P Zero, they are awful. New Michelin Pilot 4S will transform your car. You will regret not switching earlier.
SinF, I would love to say that you are wrong and that doesn't really happen but you are likely 200% right. I had a car crashed 2 miles away from a detailing shop... then a BMW 750il brand new totally sideswiped on a column in a parking garage. I never allow anyone to valet my cars. Invest in a dashcam also

Old 01-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

One could argue that whatever happened has done you a great favor by wearing out the Pirellis early.

Chawumba (01-11-2018)
Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by SinF

The alignment is 100% I just paid to have it checked
The car only has 1200 miles, no one else has driven my car especially not a valet, you could be right about them swapping out the wheels though. FYI the car has Continental as OEM on the 18 wheels and not Pirellis

This is not about me getting anything out of them. They had already offered me $500 towards replacing the tyres. I don't think people should rip you off and you just walk away.

Old 01-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by technician
Hi, I just realized you're in Utah (me too). Are you having this issue with Ken Garff or a different dealer?

Yes this is Ken Garff Jaguar. I have to say though that Jaguar is just as bad. I have asked for the Dealer Manager and the Area Manager to call me to discuss this multiple times and neither will call me. I am sure part of this issue I have is that when you call Jaguar directly you are speaking to someone working in a Teleperformance call centre and you have no way of actually speaking to Jaguar.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes this is Ken Garff Jaguar. I have to say though that Jaguar is just as bad. I have asked for the Dealer Manager and the Area Manager to call me to discuss this multiple times and neither will call me. I am sure part of this issue I have is that when you call Jaguar directly you are speaking to someone working in a Teleperformance call centre and you have no way of actually speaking to Jaguar.
That's a bummer I've had good luck with Lindsey and Aaron. My first thought was - how is this not a warranty issue - checking the alignment for excessive wear?

Old 01-11-2018, 10:29 AM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

What is the size of these tires?

Last edited by sparky fuze; 01-11-2018 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:27 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Dang, 56 messages over 2 months...

Just take a penny and stick it in the tread in the middle of the tire (away from the wear bars) on the front, abe's head down. Now stick it in the middle of one of the rear tires (away from the wear bars). Is there a significant difference in how much of abe's head is showing?

Factory new those tires (front and back) have 10/32" of tread, (5/16") or almost exactly 8mm (and not the 11mm or 7mm that the dealer states). It should not be difficult to determine if they are in fact *actually* worn....

This may all be much ado about nothing...