Sponsored by:

The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2022, 04:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky H
Sounds like it is Tesla time for the "tech".
That depends on whether you want to drive a car or a computer .....

Old 11-07-2022, 10:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sgtm7
Where did you order your unit from? I have a few bugs with the last one I bought. Specifically, the steering wheel controls don't always work. And I can't select the Spotify icon when I am in Waze. It is like that corner of the screen doesn't work when I am in Waze.
Hey, Thanks for all that info, it was very helpful. I went to AliExpress and then got their email from there to email them directly. The unit was cheaper that way. In my limited testing, the steering wheel buttons did work, but I don't even have my dash back together yet. I can let you know how it goes though once it is in use more. I also have not installed any apps yet. I'm debating if I should pay for a sim card to put into the unit or just use my hotspot.

Using the OEM GPS antenna would be awesome. I really don't want to have to mount that antenna on my dash with a wire going up to it. How did you accomplish that? Did it require some wire splicing or where you able to use some extension you could just plug into and run it to the Android unit screen? You mentioned not making the USB run because you would have to remove the center console, but wouldn't that be the same for the GPS?

So you don't use the bluetooth on the android device at all? Doesn't than mean you have to switch over to the native UI just to make a phone call? What shows up on screen when you get a phone call and are in the Android OS? What happens when you are in the Android OS and you press the call button on the steering wheel?

Thanks!

Old 11-08-2022, 07:00 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ingato

Using the OEM GPS antenna would be awesome. I really don't want to have to mount that antenna on my dash with a wire going up to it. How did you accomplish that?
Sorry. I forgot I was posting in the F-Type forum. Was here for the Android head unit talk. Doing a search, I can't find for sure where the F-Type's gps antenna cable hooks up to. If your car's headunit was the same as my 2012 XJ, the unit that has the DVD player, is also the navigation unit, and the connection to the antenna is in the back of it. From the limited pictures I have found in my search, it looks like the F-Type doesn't have a dvd player(at least not in the front like it is on the XJ). In which case, you would have to find where your nav unit is. Honestly though, I wouldn't think it would be worth it. You have to find it, and possibly run a long line up to the head unit. Since my OEM gps cable plugged into the DVD/Nav unit directly under the display unit, it easily reached up to the Merryway unit connection. And the only reason I hooked it up to the OEM antenna, was because the place I lived previously, my driveway was enclosed by concrete on three sides, and with the included gps antenna installed up front, I could not get a good gps lock until I pulled out of my driveway. Sometimes I want to input a destination into Waze before I pulled out of the driveway. I have moved since then, and that isn't even an issue any longer.

Did it require some wire splicing or where you able to use some extension you could just plug into and run it to the Android unit screen?
No splicing necessary, it is a standard fakra connection, just like the other OEM connections. Depending on the Merryway version you have, it might use fakra or it might use SMA for the gps connection. At most you would need a fakra to sma adapter.

You mentioned not making the USB run because you would have to remove the center console, but wouldn't that be the same for the GPS?
Since I don't know for sure where the Nav unit is on the F-Type, it might very well mean that. (refer to my previous response).

So you don't use the bluetooth on the android device at all? Doesn't than mean you have to switch over to the native UI just to make a phone call? What shows up on screen when you get a phone call and are in the Android OS? What happens when you are in the Android OS and you press the call button on the steering wheel?
Until you mentioned it, I hadn't realized that I seldom if ever use the bluetooth to make phone calls. Only to receive(and that isn't even that often). For receiving calls, you answer by just pressing the answer button on the steering wheel. The caller ID comes up on my dash when there is an incoming call. Pressing the call button from the Android screen, will dial the last number dialed. For calling, I either go to the OEM screen, or I use my phone. My way would not be idea/convenient for someone that makes calls more frequently.

Thanks!
Your question does have me wondering where the gps connection/Nav unit is for the F-Type though. In regards to using an additional sim for my vehicles? I do it, because I can pay a year in advance, and get 8GB of data per month for less than $200 a year. 8 GB is way more than I actually use for streaming from Spotify and navigating with Waze.

Last edited by sgtm7; 11-08-2022 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,315 Likes on 1,819 Posts

John Ingato there is no need to splice as those wires use a special connector called a Fakra. If you search this thread for Fakra you can see what the connection looks like and how they are all color and keyed coded.

Old 11-08-2022, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by clubairth1
John Ingato there is no need to splice as those wires use a special connector called a Fakra. If you search this thread for Fakra you can see what the connection looks like and how they are all color and keyed coded.
AH, ok. I searched and found what the Fakra looks like, it's the 4 colored connections that is on the back of the OEM head unit. However, the GPS connection for the Android unit is a screw on. I assume they make an adapter from Fakra to that screw on connector.

Edit: It's called a fakra to sma adapter

Thanks

Last edited by John Ingato; 11-08-2022 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 10:22 PM

Ok, so I found the items I will need on Amazon in order to split the Factory GPS connection so that I can then send that to both the Merryway unit AND the factory unit. I am going to run those wires so that I do not have to have an extra GPS antenna mounted anywhere. I also noticed that one of the connections in the back of the factory unit is for speakers. I would love for phone calls through the merryway unit to go through the factory speakers instead of that external speaker they provide. Has anybody managed to hook that into the factory speakers anyhow? I wonder if I can just find the correct adapters and hook right into those plugs.

However, there are a couple of issues I am experiencing with the unit itself. The first is that when I make a phone call ( through the merryway unit ) it doesn't seem to mute the music playing over the speakers. Idk if this is because I had the radio playing through the factory unit or not though. I haven't been able to test other audio sources yet. Does it typically mute for you when making a call?

I'm also still not getting any call history or contacts displaying in the merryway interface. Do you guys get them? I'm considering just keeping my phone connected to the factory bluetooth. I'd like to have it all in one environment though.

The other issue is with the parking radar alert. When I am parking and I get to close to something it typically beeps and shows the screen below. However, when I am in the merryway interface and I get to close to something it still beeps, but I get no screen showing up like it used to. In the merryway interface I can also see the parking alert lighting up, so the unit knows it is being triggered. Does the merryway unit not have a screen like that to show? I can only see it if I switch back to the OEM screen, which isn't ideal. If it is supposed to be supported, does anybody know how to enable it to get it showing when the alert is triggered?

Old 11-09-2022, 04:02 AM

Ok, so I found the items I will need on Amazon in order to split the Factory GPS connection so that I can then send that to both the Merryway unit AND the factory unit. I am going to run those wires so that I do not have to have an extra GPS antenna mounted anywhere. I also noticed that one of the connections in the back of the factory unit is for speakers. I would love for phone calls through the merryway unit to go through the factory speakers instead of that external speaker they provide. Has anybody managed to hook that into the factory speakers anyhow? I wonder if I can just find the correct adapters and hook right into those plugs.
1. You are going to use a splitter and use the antenna for both the OEM and the Android head unit? Let me know how that works. When I researched it before, someone mentioned some technical reasons why that wouldn't work so well.

2, Like I mentioned before, I have the XJ, and there are no speaker connections coming from the OEM head unit. There is a fiber optic connection connection going from the OEM head unit to the OEM amplifier. Which is why I had to use an AudioControl LC7i, and tap off the output from the OEM amplifier, and then go to the two aftermarket amps I have installed. When you say "speaker wires", do you mean actual wires, or rca connections?

3. When you use the apps in Android mode, you must first go to the OEM screen, and change to the "aux" source. Otherwise you won't have any audio out of the speakers while in Android screen and using Android apps. It took me a while to figure that out. In hindsight, it should have been obvious to me, and it was somewhat embarrassing when I contacted the vendor to ask why I didn't have audio from my apps. I am thinking the bluetooth while in Android, qualifies as an Android app.

4. I just turned my car in for service, so I can't for sure answer your question about the parking indicator. I am thinking it works the way it is supposed to, but I might be confusing with one of my other vehicles with Android head units. Since I have 4 vehicles with Android head units, I might very well be confusing it.

Old 11-09-2022, 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=sgtm7;2584423]1. You are going to use a splitter and use the antenna for both the OEM and the Android head unit? Let me know how that works. When I researched it before, someone mentioned some technical reasons why that wouldn't work so well.

Yeah, gonna try it. I'll let you know how it works. If it works well, I'll link to what I bought.

3. When you use the apps in Android mode, you must first go to the OEM screen, and change to the "aux" source. Otherwise you won't have any audio out of the speakers while in Android screen and using Android apps. It took me a while to figure that out. In hindsight, it should have been obvious to me, and it was somewhat embarrassing when I contacted the vendor to ask why I didn't have audio from my apps. I am thinking the bluetooth while in Android, qualifies as an Android app.

Idk about the speakers, actually. I'm only going off the service manual, but haven't disconnected it to actually see it. It could be the same thing. I'll let you know.

Old 11-09-2022, 08:12 PM

Ok, so regarding the speakers, this is what I was referring to regarding the speaker connection I saw in the service manual. On the diagram, it labels 2 and 3 as speakers. I guess the problem would be, I don't know where to get a connector that would fit there, let alone one that would convert it to the same connection as the Android unit.

Old 11-10-2022, 05:43 AM

That AAM is separate from the head unit. If you are sure that is the AAM in your car, based on searching the model number supplied in your picture, it is set up similar to the amplifier in my XJ. Port number 5 is the fiber optic input from the head unit. So the output from your Android HU is being input to that amplifier, just like it was with the OEM head unit. (this is because of the motherboard you installed from the original HU into the Android HU). So no need to convert anything from the Android HU. I have the wiring diagram for my car, so I knew which wires went where from the amp, so I just cut the output wires from the amp, and attached the output to the input of my LC7i LOC. Then from my LOC to my aftermarket amplifiers. Speaker wires from my amps go to where the other end of the wires I cut went. You could also run brand new speaker wires from your aftermarket amps directly to your speakers, but I was too lazy to do that. If you buy aftermarket amps with high level inputs, you "could" skip the LOC. However, if your car has bass roll off, the LC7i will counter that, whereas a regular amplifier with high level inputs won't .

Now if you don't plan on installing aftermarket amps, sub, and speakers like I did, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish. The audio from the Android HU goes to the factory speakers, via the OEM amplifier. You just have to make sure when using Android apps, that you have "aux" selected in OEM audio selection screen.

Old 12-03-2022, 01:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

domino_z Nice post. I recently put the Canavie Tesla style HU in my XJR and I am seriously thinking about doing the same thing in my '16 F-Type R. Do you have any regrets or second thoughts about the upgrade? Does every factory function work? What would you say to someone before doing this? Anything you'd like to share?

Thanks.

The following users liked this post:
David Meier (12-03-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 03:14 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Splitting the GPS signal with a farka splitter does work... I did it with my unit... works perfectly fine

Old 12-17-2022, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member

XJunkie thanks for your post as I wanted to do that in my XJR but never found out if you could just use a splitter cable or not with Fakra's? I currently have the GPS antenna for the Android unit in the drivers side bottom corner of the windshield on top of the dash and I would like to remove it. It looks a bit out of place. Plus looking at where the antenna is I would think the stock "shark fin" antenna mounted directly in the center of the roof outside the car should be far better than that little square box mounted in the interior behind the windshield glass.

Now next question?
Can you post where you got the Farka splitter? I only got into Fakra's long enough to know there is an entire family of these plugs/connectors. Color coded and also key coded so you can't plug them together unless they match.

Old 12-17-2022, 11:54 AM

I bought it off Amazon... ebay has em too.. they are pretty easy to find...get a 3-6ft one... you have to plug it into the back of the cd player & then connect 1 to the GPS wire & then the other to the android unit.... depending on who manufactured your android unit determines the splitter type..

Ive had 2 android units... the first 1 used just connectors the second uses connectors & screw up (SMA) type... there are quite a few different types but easy-to- determine what you need

I think my first unit used this 1

This what my second unit uses

Old 12-17-2022, 12:00 PM

Clubairth1 get you a splitter.... don't cost much & looks stock. Nothing out of place to see... jus make sure it's at least 3ft... I bought short ones before & it gets tight

Old 12-17-2022, 01:29 PM
Veteran Member

So just make sure they are blue connectors? I think they are called "Z" connectors? I also see the blue ones called "C" connectors? They are different too.
In your pictures above are those "Z" Fakra connectors?

I "think" I found the correct cable? I checked and my Android unit uses the SMA connection so I need a "Y" cable like you show with a male Fakra "C" connector on the single end. Another female Fakra "C" connector and a female SMA fitting on the other side of the "Y" cable? This one is 20" so should be long enough?

Like this?

Last edited by clubairth1; 12-17-2022 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 02:16 PM

Yup jus make sure they blue, those are the ones that are farka & work for gps connections on all cars I believe... it was the same on vw & merc

But the blue blue or the funny lookin blue should all be the same & doesn't matter

Old 12-17-2022, 02:29 PM

Clubairth that's the correct cable.. that's the 1 I use... I bought the 20" one it will work but kinda short you have to maneuver it around & don't have alot of play

Old 12-17-2022, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks XJunkie! I have ordered the cable. The back of the Android screen and the back of the CD player are pretty close together? I am surprised it was a tight fit on cable length with 20" to play with?

I am hoping I can leave the CD player in place and access the blue Fakra connector on the back. Maybe will need to slide it out a bit to get at the plugs too.

Old 12-17-2022, 04:25 PM

I think u gonna have to take the cd player out... the small blue end goes into the cd player the other into the GPS plug & the SMA end screws into the android unit

Quick Reply: The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread