F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:05 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't know, it seems like the Android Head unit would be the better solution. That unit only gives you the ability to put your cell phone on the screen, rather than install apps directly to your head unit. So less capability, for a higher price.

Last edited by sgtm7; 07-03-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-18-2020, 12:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 10.25 inch jaguar land rover GX63-19C299-AE

[Does anybody try take the 8 inch screen and plug the 10.25 in screen in a F-Type ?

I have a p300 of 2018, with 9 inch touch pro sim card wireless.

QUOTE=sgtm7;2256452]I don't know, it seems like the Android Head unit would be the better solution. That unit only gives you the ability to put your cell phone on the screen, rather than install apps directly to your head unit. So less capability, for a higher price.[/QUOTE]
10ich

Old 10-31-2020, 04:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wireless carplay

Does anybody know if that Android head unit has a version that supports wireless carplay, or if it is in the works? I was thinking of doing the upgrade, but if I am going to go forward with it, I would want the wireless carplay in it.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:59 PM
Received 294 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ingato
Does anybody know if that Android head unit has a version that supports wireless carplay, or if it is in the works? I was thinking of doing the upgrade, but if I am going to go forward with it, I would want the wireless carplay in it.
The UAD unit supports wireless CarPlay.

The following 2 users liked this post by malbec:
billqs (10-31-2021), Carbuff2 (10-31-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 03:30 AM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

Looks like the AliExpress units are all around $1250 for the Android 9.0 units. I would probably be interested at that original ~$800 price point.. would love to ditch my clunky MY2016 infotainment.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by takeapieandrun
Looks like the AliExpress units are all around $1250 for the Android 9.0 units. I would probably be interested at that original ~$800 price point.. would love to ditch my clunky MY2016 infotainment.
The have sales all the time. I would just wait and check back from time to time. Hell, it sometimes seen they are on sale more often than they are at regular price.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd chime in... I have been running one of the new merryway units (android 9, 64gb) in my 2015 evoque since October 2019. Cambo did the job. It is simply amazing and makes it like a new car.
Also, since it is basically an android unit, i run all my apps natively on it - no need for silly android auto or carplay problems.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:53 AM

I have the Merryway unit installed in my F-Type and have been running it for about the last 4 months. There are definitely a lot of benefits and the install was pretty straight forward. There are some small issues, not sure if it is just on my end or not, backup camera doesn't engage when using carplay but works seamlessly when using the "OEM" interface.

Old 01-05-2021, 02:58 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Wmarinics18
I have the Merryway unit installed in my F-Type and have been running it for about the last 4 months. There are definitely a lot of benefits and the install was pretty straight forward. There are some small issues, not sure if it is just on my end or not, backup camera doesn't engage when using carplay but works seamlessly when using the "OEM" interface.
How much did the unit cost you?

Old 01-05-2021, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by wurldfamuz
How much did the unit cost you?
I ordered directly from Jenny at Merryway. Unit was about $1100 if I remember correctly, think she offered a small discount ordering through her as opposed to Ali Express.

Old 01-27-2021, 10:26 AM
Default People Happy with the Merryway unit? Or is there another option?

I have a 2014 V6S where I have replaced the entire audio system other than the head unit - but looking at options for that now.

Carplay, better display, and google maps are my priorities. (and audio sound quality needs to be the same or better)

(note - originally posted as a reply on the wrong thread - could figure out how to delete that one.)

Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 PM

That looks like a really nice setup Kelley, you should make a thread about what you did if you haven't already.

I have the UAD integration and overall I'm happy with it. I use Android so I can't comment on the Apple wireless support. The Android wireless support is kind of flaky, but I think that's more an Android thing than the car. From my understanding Apple wireless support is a lot more reliable in general. I like the fact that I don't have to wait for the head unit to boot up, like the Merryway unit (although maybe that's fixed on the more recent ones), and I prefer to let my phone drive the display through Android Auto vs running Android on the head unit. That way my Spotify, texts, appointments, etc are all there. Maybe Merryway supports Android Auto if you plug your phone in, but I know a lot of people seem to be happy running the Merryway unit as a standalone Android unit and that's not really my thing. Take anything I say about Merryway with a grain of salt though, I looked into it about 6 months ago and never got one!

A couple caveats, it's annoying to lose the steering wheel controls for skipping tracks. I ended up getting a little bluetooth controller that I stuck on the dash near the interior brightness control that handles that though, so I don't have to fumble around on the screen. Also, now that I'm running Android on the screen I can see that it's a fairly crappy screen. The colors are pretty bad, and there's a decent amount of overscan, so it can sometimes be hard to hit a button on the edge of the screen. Oh, and it's not integrated with the headlights, so it doesn't put the screen into night mode automatically when the headlights are on. Aside from those issues though I'm happy. I like it a lot better than sticking my phone in a mount on the dash, that's for sure.

Old 06-03-2021, 04:31 PM
Exclamation

Hi all, I've recently installed the 10.25 screen on my XE but experiencing mad battery drain since then. I have sent a message to the manufacturer but they are a bit slow in responding. The wiring harness I received did not require me to tap into any other connections. The harness has a splitter that lets me use the original system and has wires going to the screen module. The manufacturer told me to connect the two black ground cables for get my speakers working but the battery drain was happening before that, and only confirmed when I reinstalled the old unit. Has anyone experienced it before? Would love to get this sorted

Old 08-27-2022, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Radium
Hi all, I've recently installed the 10.25 screen on my XE but experiencing mad battery drain since then. I have sent a message to the manufacturer but they are a bit slow in responding. The wiring harness I received did not require me to tap into any other connections. The harness has a splitter that lets me use the original system and has wires going to the screen module. The manufacturer told me to connect the two black ground cables for get my speakers working but the battery drain was happening before that, and only confirmed when I reinstalled the old unit. Has anyone experienced it before? Would love to get this sorted

Is your unit newer? Does it support fast boot where the android screen is ready right after starting your car? I have had about five android units in three different cars and they are all the same they seem to constantly pull a draw from the battery and if you don’t use the car at least every three days the battery can go dead.

The manufactures will never confess to it being the unit they will always blame your car even if you prove that the problem started the day you installed the android head unit.

Old 08-27-2022, 05:27 PM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

Well, you could embarrass the mfg some by taking a photo of a multimeter showing the current draw from their unit with the ignition off. It would be fun to hear their lame explanation of how what you're seeing isn't true.

Last edited by kb58; 08-27-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by enigma55
Is your unit newer? Does it support fast boot where the android screen is ready right after starting your car? I have had about five android units in three different cars and they are all the same they seem to constantly pull a draw from the battery and if you don’t use the car at least every three days the battery can go dead.

The manufactures will never confess to it being the unit they will always blame your car even if you prove that the problem started the day you installed the android head unit.

with the Merryway I’ve never had a drain issue - seems to hood! (Weeks without driving aren’t an issue for sure). And it starts up pretty quick…

Old 08-28-2022, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,294 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I also have had the Merryway unit for several years in my XJR with zero battery drain problems. Many weeks without starting and no problems. I worked on adding some kind of fast boot or suspended operations but never got anything that seemed to increase the boot speed. So it's a bit slow starting. I do like the fact that even when it's booting if you shift into reverse the camera comes up immediately.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:26 PM
Default Just installed my Unit

Hey,

So I just finished installing my unit I received from Merryway and I'm having a few issues that I was hoping some of you who already went through this might be able to help out with. This unit does seem to be a little bit newer than others I've seen posted, as it is running android 11 I believe.

1) Is there anyway to hook into the cars existing speakers and microphone for phone calls? If I keep that included speaker behind the screen, will I still be able to hear it?
2) I was able to connect my phone over bluetooth to the unit and was able to make a call, but it has no address book or phone call history. Anyway to fix that? tried hitting the icon that looks like a download button but that seems to cause my bluetooth to disconnect. ( could be coincidence )
3) How to I get internet data to the device so I can download new apps and use google maps. Can it be done over bluetooth or do I need to set my phone up as a wifi hotspot ( which I cell plan doesn't support right now )?
4) I was told by Merryway that the device should support wireless carplay out of the box. Does anybody know how that works? Do I need to have the unit as a Wifi broadcaster rather than a receiver?
5) When I go to the OEM screen, none of the digital buttons (to replace the physical buttons) on the sides do anything. I assume they should though, right?
6) How about that GPS antenna? Where did you guys end up mounting that? Is there no way to just hook into the cars GPS antenna?
7) If I were to run a USB extension from the unit to the USB inputs in the armrest, could it put plugged in so that I can use those USB inputs, at least on of them, to go to the unit?

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2022, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by John Ingato
Hey,

So I just finished installing my unit I received from Merryway and I'm having a few issues that I was hoping some of you who already went through this might be able to help out with. This unit does seem to be a little bit newer than others I've seen posted, as it is running android 11 I believe.

1) Is there anyway to hook into the cars existing speakers and microphone for phone calls? If I keep that included speaker behind the screen, will I still be able to hear it?
2) I was able to connect my phone over bluetooth to the unit and was able to make a call, but it has no address book or phone call history. Anyway to fix that? tried hitting the icon that looks like a download button but that seems to cause my bluetooth to disconnect. ( could be coincidence )
I went to the OEM screen, and paired my bluetooth thru there instead of doing it through the Android OS.

3) How to I get internet data to the device so I can download new apps and use google maps. Can it be done over bluetooth or do I need to set my phone up as a wifi hotspot ( which I cell plan doesn't support right now )?
When you installed your head unit, there should have been a slot for the sim card on the head unit. It is not in an obvious location, so it is easy to miss. On my other head units in my other cars, I use a mobile hotspot box,with its own sim card. Yes, you can also use the wifi of the head unit, and just turn on the mobile hotspot on your phone.

4) I was told by Merryway that the device should support wireless carplay out of the box. Does anybody know how that works? Do I need to have the unit as a Wifi broadcaster rather than a receiver?
Can't help you there. I don't use Carplay or Android Auto, because all my vehicles have Android OS head units. Any app I want to use, I just install it directly to the head unit.

5) When I go to the OEM screen, none of the digital buttons (to replace the physical buttons) on the sides do anything. I assume they should though, right?
In the car settings(not the Android settings), you can select which OEM screen type you want to use. You can experiment with changing them, until it works the way you want.

6) How about that GPS antenna? Where did you guys end up mounting that? Is there no way to just hook into the cars GPS antenna?
I originally mounted mine at the corner of the driver's side windshield. Later, I just connected into the OEM GPS connection. The car GPS connection is the one that hooks up at the back of the DVD unit. I can't remember for sure, but the connection is either blue or grey in color.

7) If I were to run a USB extension from the unit to the USB inputs in the armrest, could it put plugged in so that I can use those USB inputs, at least on of them, to go to the unit?
Yes. I have seen people do that. You will have to remove the center console to make the run though. That is why I haven't done it yet.

Thanks!
Where did you order your unit from? I have a few bugs with the last one I bought. Specifically, the steering wheel controls don't always work. And I can't select the Spotify icon when I am in Waze. It is like that corner of the screen doesn't work when I am in Waze.

Last edited by sgtm7; 11-06-2022 at 05:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2022, 04:29 PM
Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like it is Tesla time for the "tech".

Quick Reply: The Definitive Android 10.25” Retrofit Thread