Did I order a 2016 AWD R?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 10:13 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Did I order a 2016 AWD R?

A couple of weeks ago I called the nearest dealership and tried to order a
2016 F-Type R coupe. He told me that he had one allocation left and I got
it. So after going over the items I wanted and making changes from time to
time, I thought everything was ok. But its been 2 weeks and no order sheet or demand for a deposit. I have sent a couple of emails, but he doesn't respond to them. He does respond if I make a change. After reading Stohlen's order, I'm not so sure he submitted the order. What do you think is going on? Cecil...........

Old 12-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

If an order was placed he should be able to provide you with an order number. I'd push to get this as it proves you have a car coming.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:43 AM

I've pushed him twice on this and he doesn't answer. There is another dealer that is an hour away and I might have to go there if my current one doesn't come through. Cecil..........

Old 12-07-2014, 01:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

If you have a refundable deposit, I would threaten to cancel the order and just work with another dealer. It's pretty bad for a dealer to go MIA for 2 weeks. You're ordering a Jag, not a Honda.

If you do decide to work with someone else, make sure they don't just have an allocation, but if possible find a dealer with an actual order that they can modify to fit your needs. This should come with an order number and sometimes even a production date at the time you place it.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend being up front and asking salesman. If you don't get satisfaction politely ask to speak with his boss.

I imagine your order is in as I remember ordering cars in the past and on occasion no deposit was required.

Still it's a good idea to get written clarification of your order.

Absolutely nothing unusual about that.

Jmo

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by qictrk
A couple of weeks ago I called the nearest dealership and tried to order a
2016 F-Type R coupe. He told me that he had one allocation left and I got
it. So after going over the items I wanted and making changes from time to
time, I thought everything was ok. But its been 2 weeks and no order sheet or demand for a deposit. I have sent a couple of emails, but he doesn't respond to them. He does respond if I make a change. After reading Stohlen's order, I'm not so sure he submitted the order. What do you think is going on? Cecil...........
Just contact the sales manager or dealership manager on the phone or in person. If no help, find another dealer as it sounds like you have not made a deposit yet.
Lawrence.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Another option is to contact Jaguar USA and give them the dealership and sale person's name. That will get a response from the dealership as Jaguar USA will contact them directly. I had to do something similar as my initial queries about placing an order were not being answered from my local dealership.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by schraderade
If you have a refundable deposit, I would threaten to cancel the order and just work with another dealer. It's pretty bad for a dealer to go MIA for 2 weeks. You're ordering a Jag, not a Honda.

If you do decide to work with someone else, make sure they don't just have an allocation, but if possible find a dealer with an actual order that they can modify to fit your needs. This should come with an order number and sometimes even a production date at the time you place it.
Agreed. Not answering your inquiries or being able to provide an order number is inexcusable.

If I had to guess, he really didn't have an allocation, but is scrambling to get one and doesn't want to talk with you until he does.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Agreed. Not answering your inquiries or being able to provide an order number is inexcusable.

If I had to guess, he really didn't have an allocation, but is scrambling to get one and doesn't want to talk with you until he does.
That's my guess too. Either that or the dealer just doesn't care about you, which is just as bad.
Unfortunately while Jaguar has really stepped up in the last 7 years, the dealer network in the US is still getting used to the new way of doing business.

Old 12-07-2014, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

What do u mean he responds if u make a change? Maybe he's on vacation? I'd just contact the manager to check if the guy is on vacation, just had a baby, is in the hospital, etc.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:28 PM

Ok, I'm going to push it a little more. He reply's to changes I make to the car, but does not respond to questions about a order #. Cecil...........

Old 12-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

I see...that's horrible service then! BTW, I see you are in California. In California those deposits are fully refundable by law. I think they also are suppose to give you a slight interest during the deposit time if you refund (something like 0.3 APR). Double check, but that's my understanding for the typical deposits you hear about. Now, if you're buying a $1 million Ferrari, might be different.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by shift
I see...that's horrible service then! BTW, I see you are in California. In California those deposits are fully refundable by law. I think they also are suppose to give you a slight interest during the deposit time if you refund (something like 0.3 APR). Double check, but that's my understanding for the typical deposits you hear about. Now, if you're buying a $1 million Ferrari, might be different.
I guess I didn't make myself completely clear. He has not taken a deposit yet. Said he ordered, but didn't take a deposit. Cecil........

Old 12-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member

Ok well if u eventually put down a deposit ask them, it should be refundable.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by qictrk
I guess I didn't make myself completely clear. He has not taken a deposit yet. Said he ordered, but didn't take a deposit. Cecil........
Which means he probably doesn't yet have an actual allocation or the dealer would have wanted a deposit. If so, it also means you don't have an order in the system.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Which means he probably doesn't yet have an actual allocation or the dealer would have wanted a deposit. If so, it also means you don't have an order in the system.
The dealers got their first order call on the 2016 F-Type about 2 weeks ago. They can only place an order if they are allocated one, they may be waiting for the next order call. The order calls come out at the same time for everybody so thinking I will go to another dealer & order it from them is not as easy as you make it sound. Another dealer may have an amendable order. You should remember if you have a problem down the road your local dealer is going to take care of the customer who bought their car from them first. A local dealer here will only give a loaner to someone they sold a car to.

Last edited by JgaXkr; 12-07-2014 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I ordered my 2016 6 speed the day after the dealers received their allocations from one dealer and by the time they placed the order the next day they realized their MT allocation was for a convertible rather than the coupe. Fortunately I was able to jump to another dealer whose first MT allocation was a coupe.

If the dealer hasn't required/requested a deposit, you should be suspicious about whether the allocation is actually yours.

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 PM

Good News, I finally got an order #. After contacting a competing dealer, I got a call from my original dealer. He told me he was sorry, etc, etc, etc. Anyway, its done. Now I have to hurry up and wait. Cecil............

Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM
Received 170 Likes on 105 Posts

Glad it worked out for you.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:31 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Good news! Hopefully you don't have a drinking problem by the time the car arrives from anticipation problems.

Quick Reply: Did I order a 2016 AWD R?