F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disable active exhaust for F-Type

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable active exhaust for F-Type

Has anyone found a way to manually disable the active exhaust system on the F-Type? Even with the switch in standard mode, the active exhaust system cuts in above 3500 RPM. I need to stop this switching while driving at Laguna Seca which has a 90 db noise level. Taking off the vacuum tubes didn't seem to work.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:45 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to F-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to advise.

Graham

Old 03-19-2015, 03:51 PM

Ok, thanks...

Old 03-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

I think you're the first person that wants it off but I've had plenty of track days at Laguna Seca and what a pain with the noise limits. I think you are on your own on this one though. Even if the active system is disabled, the design is still very similar to the passive system on the Base Coupe that I have. The car will still make the noises under the right throttle and load conditions.

Check your owners manuals. There are two fuses listed for the exhaust system. I don't know if they'll throw CEL if you pull them though.

Old 03-19-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I think you're the first person that wants it off but I've had plenty of track days at Laguna Seca and what a pain with the noise limits. I think you are on your own on this one though. Even if the active system is disabled, the design is still very similar to the passive system on the Base Coupe that I have. The car will still make the noises under the right throttle and load conditions.

Check your owners manuals. There are two fuses listed for the exhaust system. I don't know if they'll throw CEL if you pull them though.

Disregard what I said. I just noticed you have V8. What I said applies the V6.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:06 PM

Thanks, and pulling fuse didn't work either. Need to find way to keep valves open (or closed?), I think?
You going to Laguna Seca in April with HOD? If so, see you there.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by gbarker
Thanks, and pulling fuse didn't work either. Need to find way to keep valves open (or closed?), I think?
You going to Laguna Seca in April with HOD? If so, see you there.
Valves need to stay closed. But keep in mind, even with my base exhaust it still makes a bunch of noise..granted not as loud with a car with Active Exhaust. No I'm not going to Laguna Seca. I used to go there a lot with my Honda S2000. I had to run a silencer on my exhaust.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

Ahhh...the age-old game of passing sound @ Laguna,lol! That last one got ripped off by the berm in the Corkscrew just after this was taken,lol.

Here's just a few examples...although extreme...on how to do it. Notice,they all point away from the sound booth on turn 5.

The following users liked this post:
gbarker (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
RDB
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulling fuses won't work, the valves are sprung open when there's no power to the solenoids hence noisy. They only close when instructed to by the engine management system and that opens them again at around 3500 revs. Sorry but there's no way to hold them closed. Embrace the noise!!!

Old 03-19-2015, 07:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

For the Porsche sport exhausts we pull the plug on the solenoid that opens and closes the valve. However I do not know where that sits in the F-Type. R this will keep the valve shut, even under acceleration or permanently open depending when you pull the plug, in the open or close position.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 PM
Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Would love to know how to do this as well. If there were a large community of owners, there would likely be enough talented hackers to disassemble the ECU to customize things like this to our desire...but alas, we are few. Some basic option coding on this vehicle would be amazing.

andykreb (01-17-2019)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 442 Likes on 323 Posts

The ECU is a whole different animal and so far I am not convinced that even the flashes from the tuners work, let alone any other parameters have been succesfully manipulated.

In the XK section you can find thread upon thread were the flash did not do what was promised, flashes reverted back etc etc. The Jaguar 5.0l engine has something like 7 pre-programmed fall back mappings in the ECU. Especially if you track, if any of the monitored parameters falls out of an expected range the ECU will switch to one of those maps and your flashed map is gone. People have spent thousands of Dollars and many hours tuning, dynoing, tracking and back to dyno with very questionable results.

Unplugging is the only sure way.

You can even splice the wire to the valve and disconnect it for race day, done.

Old 03-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts

I would like to see someone make an electric solenoid or motor kit to replace the vacuum actuators on the active exhaust, that would be controlled by the active exhaust switch and going into dynamic mode and ignore everything else. That should give the driver complete control over the exhaust, on when you want it and off when you want it. You could even turn it off for those early morning start ups that can annoy the nieghbors. It would also avoid the problem of track days with noise limits. There are even times when I would like to pass someone but I really don't want the exhaust to open up.

Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Scott B
Would love to know how to do this as well. If there were a large community of owners, there would likely be enough talented hackers to disassemble the ECU to customize things like this to our desire...but alas, we are few. Some basic option coding on this vehicle would be amazing.
After all this time, I've finally found a way to keep the vacuum operated valve closed on my F=Type. If still interested let me know where to send photos and instructions. Very simple fix, but can't be controlled from cockpit.

Old 01-17-2019, 03:03 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When pulling the vacuum lines and/or fuses do not work means that the valves are open unless there is vacuum to close them (under 3500 RPM or manualy operated).
Then the only "bypass" is to physically block the Pierburg exhaust plaps on the outside (which is totally harmless) in closed position using two thin steel wires.

Last edited by dirk_BE; 01-17-2019 at 03:08 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

What strikes me is the possibility that the valves opens at/above 3.500 rpm for a reason (another reason than making the exaust louder).

Maybe the exaust needs to be a bit more open to make the engine "breathe" better, as part of the engine management system? Higher RPMs means more exaust to get rid off - without too much back pressure?

Old 01-17-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
What strikes me is the possibility that the valves opens at/above 3.500 rpm for a reason (another reason than making the exaust louder).

Maybe the exaust needs to be a bit more open to make the engine "breathe" better, as part of the engine management system? Higher RPMs means more exaust to get rid off - without too much back pressure?
Not enough vacuum with heavy throttle to keep the valves closed.

Arne (01-18-2019)
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 PM

I hope this is the case as I wouldn't want to harm the engine. I guess I will have to settle for reduced power at higher RPMs?

Old 01-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by gpbarker
I hope this is the case as I wouldn't want to harm the engine. I guess I will have to settle for reduced power at higher RPMs?
Not quite certain why you conclude that open muffler valves reduce power.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:42 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by WayneB
I would like to see someone make an electric solenoid or motor kit to replace the vacuum actuators on the active exhaust, that would be controlled by the active exhaust switch and going into dynamic mode and ignore everything else. That should give the driver complete control over the exhaust, on when you want it and off when you want it. You could even turn it off for those early morning start ups that can annoy the nieghbors. It would also avoid the problem of track days with noise limits. There are even times when I would like to pass someone but I really don't want the exhaust to open up.
see here.
https://www.cccharger.co.uk/

unfortunately it won’t latch closed. In closed mode it reverts to ECU control.

Kev

Quick Reply: Disable active exhaust for F-Type