F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Clear Wind Deflector

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 PM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default DIY Clear Wind Deflector

After searching the Interwebs high & low for an acrylic/clear wind deflector (like the OEM deflector on my Boxster) & not finding anything, I took matters into my own hands. I got a piece of 1/4" thick clear acrylic from Lowes. I had them cut it for me for length & height. (Free service, no less!) I used the OEM deflector as a template & traced out the edges with a Sharpie. I then spent some quality time with a grinder, finishing off with a Demel. Attached is the result.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,659 Likes on 3,365 Posts

Very nice. You could finish off the top and bottom edges with some clear plastic u-shaped molding.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Very nice. You could finish off the top and bottom edges with some clear plastic u-shaped molding.
Thanks. I plan on using black door edge molding on the top & bottom to have a more "finished" appearance.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

If you make a few more I'll buy one from you.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mbourne
If you make a few more I'll buy one from you.
I thought about making more to sell. But I'm a DIYer & not a fabricator. What is "good enough" for me probably won't be to those with a more critical eye -- especially if laying out $$ for one. The materials (acrylic & the edging I'm gonna add) only cost US$20. But the grinding took me 1.5 hrs. Add onto that packaging & postage, to make it worth my while, I'd be asking for +US$200. At that price, anything less than fabricator perfect would be unacceptable to most people.

Unless I can be convinced otherwise, this is just gonna be a one-off for myself.

But thanks for offering!!!

Old 02-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sonny2
Thanks. I plan on using black door edge molding on the top & bottom to have a more "finished" appearance.
Even better.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 188 Posts

Had one from my'12 SLK55 from a company called windstop, do clear symbols, and lit. I still have it, didn't go with car. I think around $240.

Old 02-01-2016, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by bjg625
Had one from my'12 SLK55 from a company called windstop, do clear symbols, and lit. I still have it, didn't go with car. I think around $240.
That's the difference between a fabricator & a DIYer like me. One has a CNC machine or laser cutter & CAD knocking out pieces that are exact every time. Mine is painstakingly done by hand by trial & error. Hence, it's just "good enough" for me.

I was hoping to find someone with a laser cutter who had already made one up on a CAD for mass production. But I couldn't find any. I guess our cars are still too much of a niche market for anyone to invest in the time to make, market & sell. I would have gladly paid what the OEM deflector cost for a laser cut acrylic one.

Maybe in a few years as more F-Types have been sold or someone identifies a market need for one (perhaps even from this thread), they'll make one on a CAD & laser cutter.

One thing I just thought of, however, is the possibility of copyright/trademark infringement. If Jaguar has the design rights to the wind deflector nailed down, they'd be able to go after anyone who infringes on them. Therefore, again, I can make one for myself but not sell to others.

Old 02-02-2016, 03:07 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Have you had it up to speed on the highway? I would worry that, unlike the OEM mesh one this one will be a solid air dam and might pop out or thrum etc. I would also make sure you do the softer finish piece on the bottom otherwise it will scratch up the surface under it specially if it vibrates and moves around in the wind.

Looks good though.

The following users liked this post:
sonny2 (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sonny2
One thing I just thought of, however, is the possibility of copyright/trademark infringement. If Jaguar has the design rights to the wind deflector nailed down, they'd be able to go after anyone who infringes on them. Therefore, again, I can make one for myself but not sell to others.
Your piece in no way resembles that of the car maker, other than its shape. Shapes of things, unless used for brand recognition cannot be protected as intellectual property.

Last edited by Unhingd; 02-02-2016 at 08:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sonny2 (02-03-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 09:58 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,394 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Have you had it up to speed on the highway? I would worry that, unlike the OEM mesh one this one will be a solid air dam and might pop out or thrum etc. I would also make sure you do the softer finish piece on the bottom otherwise it will scratch up the surface under it specially if it vibrates and moves around in the wind.

Looks good though.

+1 That would be my concern. Depending on the thickness, it may deform enough to pop out. I might add a string/wire to keep it captive just in case.

Would be interesting to see what it would look like perforated. Would take a CNC machine to make it look good.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by AnD3rew

Looks good though.
Had it up to 80mph without any issues. No deforming & no extra noise. It was actually quieter in the cabin as a result of it being sold vs the mesh. Moreover, the 1/4" acrylic is pretty stout & pretty resistant to deforming. If I used 1/8" acrylic, I'm sure it'd be a different story. The fitment of it into the channels on either side is pretty tight so I highly doubt it'll move/pop out. The one on my Boxsters didn't have those channels on either side & never moved. (They just clipped in at the top corners with a center groove on the bottom to fit into.)

Again, I plan on putting door edge molding on both top & bottom to give it a more finished look & that will also help prevent scratching the car at the bottom edge.

Old 10-27-2017, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any pics of finished product with molding?

Hi Sonny,
I'm picking up my new 2017 f-type.
I'm interesting in DIYing the wind deflector like you.
Retired I have nothing else to do.

What molding did you get and where pics?
For red seats, how would you think red molding would look instead of black?

thx in advance
teil Thegratefuldad

Old 10-27-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Neil Thegratefuldad
Hi Sonny,
I'm picking up my new 2017 f-type.
I'm interesting in DIYing the wind deflector like you.
Retired I have nothing else to do.

What molding did you get and where pics?
For red seats, how would you think red molding would look instead of black?

thx in advance
teil Thegratefuldad
I got the molding from one of the big box automotive places. It's the molding used on the edge of the car door to keep the paint from chipping after hitting stuff.

I should have put it on the bottom edge as well bc over time, the plastic has gotten marred from the deflector sitting on it. I advise you to make a slight gap at the bottom (like the OEM deflector) so it doesn't touch. Also, over time & not using the proper cleaning solution, the plexiglas has gotten slightly scratched-up.

Old 10-27-2017, 11:20 PM

Thx Sonny

Just so I understand,
Your finished project.
Am I correct that the 2 things that you would have adjusted
1) make a slight gap between bottom of deflector and where it meets the car
2) use a piece of molding on bottom in addition to gap as you did on the top
Key takeaway is don't have the bottom deflector plastic rub against car.

I have to give this a try before I go and spend $345 for the WindRestrictor clear deflector

thx in advance
Neil TheGratefuldad

Old 10-27-2017, 11:27 PM

Yes.

2) use a piece of molding on bottom in addition to gap as you did on the top.
Not necessary but I think it will give it a more "finished" appearance.

Yep!

thx in advance
You are most welcome! Post-up photos of your finished project!

Old 10-27-2017, 11:31 PM

BTW, just noticed you're in Rockland. I grew up in New City! Went to New City Elem & then Laurel Plains Elem. Was in C-Wing at Felix V. Festa Jr. High & graduated from Clarkstown High School North. You a transplant or grew up there?

Old 10-27-2017, 11:58 PM

Hi Sonny,

It's a small world. I'm going to assume I'm a bit older than you (64).
Grew up in Brooklyn (Sheepshead Bay area), wife the Bronx (creston Ave)
My company moved us to Rockland in 1980.
My children both went to Woodglen. FF (i think D wing) and then Clarkstown North
They are 26 and 28 now.
I see you are in South Carolina (my brother in law), moved there a few years back.
my wife has been there I haveen't
Still in New City until she retires (I'm retired about 5 years now)

OK last question, The scratching / discoloration....Would you have selected something other than Plexiglas
for the project?

btw- I've been up because I had picked up my f-type base convertible TODAY and there is no way I can go to sleep, too excited, drove for a couple of hours.
Oh geeze you have the V8 OMG! whats the fastest you've got it to ?

Old 10-28-2017, 12:45 AM

OK last question, The scratching / discoloration....Would you have selected something other than Plexiglas
for the project?
Yes -- acrylic. But dunno where you'd find that, though. Plexiglas is readily found at Lowe's or Home Depot.

btw- I've been up because I had picked up my f-type base convertible TODAY and there is no way I can go to sleep, too excited, drove for a couple of hours.
Cars were made to be driven. No point in keeping her locked away some place collecting dust. I got The Sled almost 2 yrs ago 2nd hand with ~4,900 miles on it. It's my daily driver so I now have 60,825 on the odo.

Congrats on your purchase & enjoy her in good health!!!

Oh geeze you have the V8 OMG! whats the fastest you've got it to ?
I've had her on the road course at the North Carolina Center for Automotive Research (NCCAR) in Garysburg, NC & Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. Fastest indicated speed was ~155mph at the end of the (loooong) front straight at NCCAR. Check out the G-Meter from CMP just last weekend...

At CMP in Kershaw, SC on street tires. Car is completely OEM without any performance mods of any kind.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Thx Sonny

Just so I understand,
Your finished project.
2) use a piece of molding on bottom in addition to gap as you did on the top

I have to give this a try before I go and spend $345 for the WindRestrictor clear deflector

thx in advance
Neil TheGratefuldad
try this,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSHGP3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GSHGP3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by jimishooch; 10-29-2017 at 08:29 AM.

Quick Reply: DIY Clear Wind Deflector