F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts
Default Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?

Today I'm driving down the tollway doing 80 mph (speed limit is 70). I'm in the center lane and fast approaching on my left if a new Dodge Durango. He pulls up along side, stares at me, and stomps on it. The torque almost takes him into the center divider and he accelerates past me.

1.) Why would I care at all about a Dodge Durango passing me?
2.) Does he really think he stands a chance against an F-Type R Coupe?
3.) Why are people drawn to show off in much "lesser" cars?

The other day a 1980s Chevy Silverado pulled up next to me at a light. This one was a bit customized... He had a blower, roll cage, drag radials, and a wheelie bar... did I feel obligated to possibly make a fool out of myself at a stop light in the city? Hell no! Out in the country, around some turns, no problem, a drag race against a purpose built drag machine? I'm not stupid.

What kind of "stupid driver" stories have you experienced since you got the F-Type?

The following users liked this post:
schuss (02-28-2021)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:26 PM
Received 121 Likes on 71 Posts

Every time I see a lowered Honda, I know I'm going to have an angry lawnmower buzzing around me for the next few miles.

BMW 3 series seem to be the worst, I've had three try to provoke a race in the past week alone.

The following 3 users liked this post by BierNut:
Ggraddy (05-20-2015), schuss (02-28-2021), SupermansQueen (06-09-2021)
Old 05-20-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

I sometimes get guys coming up fast behind me and braking at what seems like the last minute (never happens when I'm driving a different car) and I also get the idiots pulling up and stomping on the gas as though they can beat the F in a foot race etc. etc..
Seems to be some sort of jealous, low mentality reaction to the F being such a beautiful and hot looking car.
Lawrence.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Stupid drivers abound, and not just around the F-Type. And while I've not had any occurances surrounding my F-Type, not of a negative kind (other than the person stopping behind me like he's about to hit my car) when I'm on my bicycle for any length of time (i.e. 20-30-50+ miles) I usually encounter, usually a stupid truck, who goes out of there way to intentionally come ever-so-close to me as to almost cause an accident. Luckily that's never happened but talk about stupid and inconsiderate...never mind dangerous.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 05-20-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
BMW 3 series seem to be the worst
Yes!!! Actually any of the German marques. The other day I had a guy in a Porsche 911 in front of me that felt the need to rev his engine like crazy between stoplights, going nearly 40 still in first gear before he finally shifted only to then slow down for the next light. It was as if he was trying to say "See my car can be loud too".

Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Received 390 Likes on 207 Posts

I've had few Hyundai Genesis coupes, G35/37 coupes drive like asshats around me. Usually the ones that speed up to catch up to me are looky-loos either giving me a thumbs or asking me what kind of car it is.

schuss (02-28-2021)
Old 05-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJagR
Today I'm driving down the tollway doing 80 mph (speed limit is 70). I'm in the center lane and fast approaching on my left if a new Dodge Durango. He pulls up along side, stares at me, and stomps on it. The torque almost takes him into the center divider and he accelerates past me.
Some of the people I work with in Dallas have warned me about this, as they have nice, recent cars and put up with this level of Jackassery on an ongoing basis.

I am guessing this will be my lot on the roads later this summer as well. Even driving my wife's "Mom mobile" i witness some really creative driving on the greater DFW motorways. Some quite breathtaking.

Orkney

Old 05-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You're making a valid point. Camrys to F250's feel the need to show off.

I don't know if they're just crazy, or the look/sound of the F gets their adrenaline pumping?!?!

It does however happen daily along with tailgating.

On the positive side i had an Aventador and a GT40 trying to get me in trouble.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 293 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ggraddy
You're making a valid point. Camrys to F250's feel the need to show off.

I don't know if they're just crazy, or the look/sound of the F gets their adrenaline pumping?!?!

It does however happen daily along with tailgating.

On the positive side i had an Aventador and a GT40 trying to get me in trouble.
While I don't condone unsafe driving on public roads, even the Aventador and GT40 against an R Coupe (on a public road) might just be a drivers race to see who has the "*****" to push it further the faster with the fear of police ever present...

I actually feel pretty good inside when some super car driver decides the F-Type is worth his interest.

Ggraddy (05-22-2015)
Old 05-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Received 178 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by BierNut
Every time I see a lowered Honda, I know I'm going to have an angry lawnmower buzzing around me for the next few miles.
I have this happen all the time and resist the challenge to race because it is not worth it, but sure is tempting. I never understood the mentality it takes to think a lowered 4 cylinder Honda Civic with a 3 speed auto and 10” tailpipe sounds good because it doesn’t.

I also get people who fly up on me in the passing lane and then slow down and ride my blind spot. I assume this is to get a good look at the car because I cannot figure out another reason. One time it was a group of kids in a Suburban and one of them literally hung halfway out the passenger window to take pictures on his phone at 70 mph. My wife was shocked and afraid for him at the same time.

SupermansQueen (06-09-2021)
Old 05-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

I haven't had any major issues, although there was a Bimmer that really wanted to duel on our local bypass. I finally responded with some rev's at the last red light and baited him up until about 60. He went screaming past me "victorious" as I backed off ahead of our leading local speed trap (around a curve, at the bottom of the hill, 45 MPH). Now he knows about it, too.

On a different note, I've noticed people are much LESS likely to pull out in front of me. I don't know if the car just looks like it's going faster or whether they're busy taking in the view.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:06 PM
Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Mulmur
I sometimes get guys coming up fast behind me and braking at what seems like the last minute (never happens when I'm driving a different car) and I also get the idiots pulling up and stomping on the gas as though they can beat the F in a foot race etc. etc..
Seems to be some sort of jealous, low mentality reaction to the F being such a beautiful and hot looking car.
Lawrence.

I put up with this allot when I was driving my Ferrari F355 and now almost as much when driving the F-Type R. 'Stupid is what Stupid does'.

alexg (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:27 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

i've only had a pick up truck at a stop light try and peel out on me. honestly i think they just wanna see the jag in action and don't really believe they can "win." and then there's the rest of the guys who are just dicks.

Old 05-21-2015, 06:32 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by uncheel

On a different note, I've noticed people are much LESS likely to pull out in front of me. I don't know if the car just looks like it's going faster or whether they're busy taking in the view.
I've noticed that if you're stopped at a light, the car in the next lane will then stop in your blind spot for a good look at your rear, then they'll move up beside you.

People are more forgiving in letting you merge into their lane too.

But I did have a Range Rover take off like a shot in front of me yesterday......

Old 05-21-2015, 06:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by DuhCar
I've noticed that if you're stopped at a light, the car in the next lane will then stop in your blind spot for a good look at your rear, then they'll move up beside you.

People are more forgiving in letting you merge into their lane too.
+1. I see these behaviors frequently. If anything people seem to respond more courteously to this car, and DC-metro drivers aren't known for that. In a BMW, Porsche, or Corvette, folks tended to do everything in their power to deny you the ability to merge into traffic.

I've also had a few cases of people racing to catch up, presumably to get a better look at the car.

Old 05-21-2015, 05:56 PM
Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Most people are stupid. Its why they don't own an F-Type.

*F-Type Master Race*

Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 PM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I've only had Mustang's down here try stuff. I just ignore them and let them act a fool.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:25 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts

Yes I get this every once in a while. Earlier this week a guy in a pickup with a shell pulls up next to me (I'm in the left turn lane) and calls me out and starts revving his engine. I just shrug my shoulders (had the top down) and told him I was in a left turn lane. My light turned green first and slowly made the turn. I just thought the guy was an idiot. The worst was when I was driving the club's Viper. It seemed like everyone in a Toyota sedan wanted to race me, why?!? It's a Viper...

Old 02-27-2021, 08:32 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 100%

Impudent gnats. when i drive my ftype I feel like an animal in the Jungle,Growling as I try to warn the surrounding vehicles.
Some listen, some don't, and the ones that don't listen. they end up seeing. if they happen to blink and miss it.
They'll sure hear it.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Received 138 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area and If anyone just hears the exhaust, they'll speed up and want to race.... mini vans, Prius, Camrys or anything with a sports package. Most of the time, I'll look over and just smile or give them a "are you serious?!!?!" look and just go about my business. Occasionally I'll give it a go but it's gotta be dry, minimal/zero other people on the road and no where near my house/neighborhood.

Today it was raining and I took a corner carefully and as soon as I cleared it, I gunned it for a split second to get on an on ramp to the highway. I was just opening it up to hear the exhaust, not racing anyone as there wasn't any in my immediate vicinity, not trying drive aggressively or weaving... just a quick acceleration to maybe 5-10 above the limit and then I backed off. A Charger with a Hemi flies up to and just rides my a$$ as we're about to get on the highway. As soon as the lane breaks into 2, he pulls around and flies off. Dude, it's wet outside, you're driving a rear wheel drive car with more horsepower than you're probably able to handle and you want to race or show off? You're an idiot.

schuss (02-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Do people drive Stupid around your F-Type?