F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you really care about gas mileage...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Etypephil
But it is good to see (fairly accurate) figures on the screen in our XFR such as:

You can get this info (avg speed, distance, duration, mpg) for the f type via the in control app as well. It breaks it by date and each time the car is started. I don't much care about mpg overall but is interesting in a parlor game sort of way to see what a spirited run will read as opposed to trips around town as opposed to highway trips.

Old 03-13-2019, 12:04 PM
Received 70 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Hmmm...I hardly ever average better than 18 mpg (V6), but that’s still better than before the pulley/tune.
Lucky you, I never get over 14, Normally Im right around 11.5/12.5, 13.5 to 14 if Im driving calmly

Old 03-13-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate reading all the input and numbers on this thread. Honestly, I'm surprised at some of the numbers, higher than I expected. For me, I have never checked or thought about it. I bought this hot rod thinking it would burn the gas but I wanted the car for what it was so mileage has never been a factor.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex Jag
I appreciate reading all the input and numbers on this thread. Honestly, I'm surprised at some of the numbers, higher than I expected. For me, I have never checked or thought about it. I bought this hot rod thinking it would burn the gas but I wanted the car for what it was so mileage has never been a factor.
Those high numbers are only attainable if you are high-miling the car. You wont get anywhere close to those numbers if driven the way the car was intended.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Those high numbers are only attainable if you are high-miling the car. You wont get anywhere close to those numbers if driven the way the car was intended.
I can confirm. I get about 6mpg at the track. Coincidentally, this is much better than V8 Mustang or C7 Vette.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Worst: 4.5 MPG at the track. I went 81 miles and my range was down to 5 miles. I didn't intend to cut it that close, I just wasn't paying any attention to the fuel gauge on the track. I had to drive the 7 miles to the track to the nearest gas station as I wasn't going to pay $6/gallon for 91 at the track, so that last 7 miles was limping the car along like a hyper-miler. It showed a range of 9 miles when I left the track and I gained range by driving cool to the gas station.

Side note: I wonder how far the car will drive after it reaches Zero? I'll check my little log book and see how many gallons I actually put in, but I think it was right at 18 or 18.1. This leads me to believe there isn't much wiggle room, even adding in the fuel in the lines.

Best was 28.4 MPG. Cruise control set at 77 MPH. East of Sacramento to Truckee and back.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

I once ran my car down to something like 30 miles remaining, and the car took 18.5 gallons when I filled it. Don't think I'd take it close to zero.

Old 03-14-2019, 02:32 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Driving it like it was intended.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek

Side note: I wonder how far the car will drive after it reaches Zero? .
Don’t try to find out. You’re buying a new fuel pump if you do.

Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I insists that my wife & our kids to always fill up once they hit quarter tank, since you never know when weather hits, traffic jams, etc. & to also never let tank run dry to have engine suck up all the gunk on bottom of tank & fry the fuel pump...

Old 03-14-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I had driven both the XFS and XFR some 50 kms (30 miles) after the distance to empty read ---, and I believe both would have gone another 30 miles before they conked.
I've only driven the F-Type some 10 miles after it read ---, and then only once.
I've done some research on this and the --- is extremely pessimistic and you really do have some four litres (approx one gallon) left when it reads ---, which makes sense because JLR would not want to risk the cost of fitting a new fuel pump by having an optimistic reading.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The only time I care about gas mileage is when I'm at the gas pump!
As soon as I leave the gas station, it's Dynamic - Sport Mode with a smile on my face. What gas mileage?

Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Drive like it was intended? I'd contend that was GT, not sports or track, but also not as daily driver. Mine is primary transportation, but occasionally gets to stretch its legs.

Care about mileage? I do in fact care, but not in the sense I infer from the thread topic. If I cared about how good it was, I'd have bought a different car. I do track it though, as a sign of general mechanical health. Also, because I'm a bit OCD.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Drive like it was intended? I'd contend that was GT, not sports or track, but also not as daily driver. Mine is primary transportation, but occasionally gets to stretch its legs.

Care about mileage? I do in fact care, but not in the sense I infer from the thread topic. If I cared about how good it was, I'd have bought a different car. I do track it though, as a sign of general mechanical health. Also, because I'm a bit OCD.
Maybe a touch

OCD here...

Old 03-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

You only track date, mileage, cost, and reported fuel economy? Rookie ...

Old 03-15-2019, 11:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
You only track date, mileage, cost, and reported fuel economy? Rookie ...
I track date mileage, cost and calculated fuel economy tank to tank. And it all gets processed in a Perl script - no pen and paper for me.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by scm
I track date mileage, cost and calculated fuel economy tank to tank. And it all gets processed in a Perl script - no pen and paper for me.
It's no surprise that someone with the moniker "scm" would use Perl

I track date, mileage, cost, fuel, reported fuel economy, and reported average speed. I then calculate actual fuel economy from both reported and calculated mileage on the tank. I also calculate average miles per day. I have Excel chart that for me. That's pretty much the only Office application I ever use. I've been tempted from time to time to code something up, but that would mostly be as a "fun" project. Fun time is quite limited, so that hasn't made the cut.

Speaking of fun, the faster my average speed, the better my fuel economy is.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:35 PM
KVO
Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I do not care about mileage, but at about $7 a gallon, I was happily surprised by the rather low fuel consumption the engine output in mind.
Had cars with much less power that needed more fuel...

Old 03-15-2019, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 497 Likes on 373 Posts

I track fuel mileage (as has been mentioned, an indicator of something that might have gone wrong, left over from my carbureted engine days).

I think I'll start to include average speed, that seems an interesting data point.

I have 25 years of data on my other exotic. If it was computerized instead of written on paper, I probably wouldn't be able to read it any more!

Old 03-15-2019, 05:36 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,050 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
I have 25 years of data on my other exotic. If it was computerized instead of written on paper, I probably wouldn't be able to read it any more!
You'd be able to read it if you used UNIX/Linux.

Quick Reply: Do you really care about gas mileage...?