F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Documenting your drives / road trip?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Documenting your drives / road trip?

I am leaving on a road trip within the month, and don't want to scramble at the last second to find stuff to properly document my road trip.

Any ideas?

I've got dashcams saved to my amazon wishlist that were recommended from other threads, but not sure I've the time, nor if that's the right way to document.

These follow drones GPS enable are VERY VERY interesting to me...

https://www.wearechampionmag.com/dro...follow-me-mode

$1500 is steep, but if the AirDog can keep up... that would be surreal and amazing. Can you believe the time we are in that I am actually asking,

"What's the best GPS enabled tethered drone to follow my convertible through national parks?"

Wow!

Any other ideas... gopros, gopro replacements, mounts, etc. I am really interesting in hearing how people document their rides!

Old 06-10-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I am leaving on a road trip within the month, and don't want to scramble at the last second to find stuff to properly document my road trip.

Any ideas?

I've got dashcams saved to my amazon wishlist that were recommended from other threads, but not sure I've the time, nor if that's the right way to document.

These follow drones GPS enable are VERY VERY interesting to me...

https://www.wearechampionmag.com/dro...follow-me-mode

$1500 is steep, but if the AirDog can keep up... that would be surreal and amazing. Can you believe the time we are in that I am actually asking,

"What's the best GPS enabled tethered drone to follow my convertible through national parks?"

Wow!

Any other ideas... gopros, gopro replacements, mounts, etc. I am really interesting in hearing how people document their rides!
Just FYI, all drones over 1/2 (.55) lbs. must be registered w/ the FAA to fly outdoors and must have your FAA registration number, name, address, and other contact info affixed to it. It is also against the Federal Aviation Regulations to fly them directly over people, property, or anywhere close to an airport.

I work in the aviation industry, and I'm aware that FAA receives about 40 reports a day (via 1-800-TELL-FAA or FAA.GOV) complaining about drones, which often include traceable information like license plate numbers, cell phone videos, etc., and the public seems to be eager to turn drone pilots in these days. FAA inspectors will attempt to track you down if you're turned in. If your drone happens to hit someone or something, you will more than likely get busted and could face a stiff civil penalty.

I can pretty much guarantee that if you have a drone following your F-Type around, you will star in a video.

Last edited by Foosh; 06-10-2016 at 06:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (06-11-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:55 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I'm sure there are regulations about using them in National Parks as well. Fun idea, and you might find somewhere you can stop to use it. But since it won't fit in your car...

Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

You would have a good time with a GoPro and a windshield mount. They have a neat time lapse feature or you could do something similar with video editing software. You just need plenty of memory cards and the 12V car power adapter.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Just FYI, all drones over 1/2 (.55) lbs. must be registered w/ the FAA to fly outdoors and must have your FAA registration number, name, address, and other contact info affixed to it. It is also against the Federal Aviation Regulations to fly them directly over people, property, or anywhere close to an airport.
Well this is too long.... I'm OP, and it sounds like I am countering myself.

They are wholly and totally banned from *every* national park & monument. And *GOOD*. Yeah... I pretty much hate drones. A lot.

If i use a drone, it's like how I use a cell phone... absolutely no one will be around to see me use it. Period.

Here's some info for anyone interested:
https://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=84384
Know Before You Fly

register: https://registermyuas.faa.gov/register

a) I used to fly model airplanes, and those are far more powerful and dangerous (flew with friends, not my own, not the pilot)... but the culture around those planes is usually skill and deference.

b) I've worked with proper military drone technology for about 10 years with a friend who worked in the IDF (like they all have to), and learned CRAZY skills way ahead of the curve. He shoots films, commercials, etc but early on he was helping shoot travel-logue type viddys for hotels, wineries etc. He did some stuff with the America's Cup, too. It's amazing technology when in the right hands.

c) here's the problem.... almost anyone who owns a drone is an idiot. OKAY THAT IS NOT FAIR.. they're inexperienced, and there's no proper culture around it. Not to mention the carbon fiber blade injuries skyrocketing, it's just this perfect marriage of new, imperfect technology and inexperience coupled with showboaters.

It's funny, because I was just curious and wasn't even thinking of drones in that overall context... like how much I dislike them, and how dumb people are, aka people with selfie sticks falling into thermal geysers or whatever.

I should say, however, I didn't really mean *in the parks* (that would be SO annoying, and for me... civility and common sense are often used prior to thinking of law) as much as outside of them. We're staying at some weird, extremely remote places (Amangiri), and they are a private area with off the beaten path slot canyons, etc that aren't part of the parks. We'll be alone. And I want to find some safe and sane and legit place to play.

And... one of the greatest issues here is user error. People take these things out of the box, and BOOM 100 ft in the air, invert and carbon blades in the face. LOL

That AirDog is 4lbs and does need to be registered, and I would be commercial as I would be using it to film our hotels. But the reason I love it is * you do not control it *. But it auto-follows with zero need to pilot it.

I know tech is not full proof, but I trust a drone more if it is acting like a puppy dog that follows you, rather than the complex controls built for user error.

I'm pretty sure I am going to get it, and play safe, sane, registered. Registration isn't that difficult. That way I can mount the GoPro, or fly it, etc.

But yeah... drones are a massive problem. Yes. Absolutely.

Foosh (06-12-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Wait for it...!

Old 06-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Wait for it...!

Old 06-12-2016, 07:39 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mbourne
this is funny.

I bought the thing. We'll see.

Old 06-12-2016, 08:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits

That AirDog is 4lbs and does need to be registered, and I would be commercial as I would be using it to film our hotels. But the reason I love it is * you do not control it *. But it auto-follows with zero need to pilot it.

I know tech is not full proof, but I trust a drone more if it is acting like a puppy dog that follows you, rather than the complex controls built for user error.

I'm pretty sure I am going to get it, and play safe, sane, registered. Registration isn't that difficult. That way I can mount the GoPro, or fly it, etc.

But yeah... drones are a massive problem. Yes. Absolutely.
Uncle,

Yeah, you had to wait for it, but yes you do have to register and it's an even an more involved process for commercial use. You need a Section 333 exemption, which is a longer application process.

Unregistered commercial users are far more likely to be violated by the FAA.

And yes, you do control it as far as the FAA is concerned. It makes no difference if it's on "auto-follow" autopilot as far as the agency is concerned you're in control. And BTW, that feature malfunctions all the time, with numerous reports of runaways. You're required to continually keep it in sight, and take over if necessary such that it can't run away.

Old 06-12-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

...and there it is!

The Feds are serious about these drones. They pose a serious threat to individual privacy, personal safety and national security. Other than that, they're harmless play toys.

Uncle Fishbits (06-29-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Uncle,

Yeah, you had to wait for it, but yes you do have to register and it's an even an more involved process for commercial use. You need a Section 333 exemption, which is a longer application process.

Unregistered commercial users are far more likely to be violated by the FAA.

And yes, you do control it as far as the FAA is concerned. It makes no difference if it's on "auto-follow" autopilot as far as the agency is concerned you're in control. And BTW, that feature malfunctions all the time, with numerous reports of runaways. You're required to continually keep it in sight, and take over if necessary such that it can't run away.
a) I control it and am accountable. An algorithm is going to be better at piloting than I am, just like I will trust autonomous cars far more than the typical driver, when it's time. So at least that whole "the car (drone) accelerated on it's own" BS will be less likely, as it's 90% user human error. HOWEVER... you are 100% right, and I know the tech in these drones is far from perfect.

b) I am registered non-commercial. It cost $5, took about 3 minutes. I just have to write it on the side of the drone.

c) I am going to treat this thing like a gun. Not indoors. Nowhere near humans out doors. Never point it at any human or animal..... frankly, I am basically going to use this in private, like a closeted user. I have a gorgeous hill by my house that is 360 of the bay, and virtually empty, all the time. I'm not interested in being seen, etc.

d) I won't be commercial because anything I shoot I will simply hand to my hotels if they want to use it.... but not sell or create a business. I'm totally a hobbyist.

I'm not a techie, just curious, and this seems fun if I treat the thing with respect, and am 100% not seen by anyone. Also got gopro, mounts, and other fun stuff. I got that luggage rack, and I sort of think this drone box fits perfectly in the boot wheel well. For a summer road trip of shorts and what not, I think it may work out.

No stress. Like I said, my only *ONE SINGLE RULE* is to really not be seen, and not be close enough to anything to be considered "one of those guys".

I take it as seriously as the FAA, because I hate dealing with legal issues. This is a rarity for me, because of the whole rule.. I'm not a pioneer because they were shot in the back with arrows.

I bought this knowing the FAA could say, in a few months, "drones aren't for the public, they need to be regulated" and ground all of them, completely. I'm aware, I would trust that decision, and respect it.

Until then, maybe some fun. Maybe a waste of time. We shall see.

Seriously... if I get one 4 minute video of it following my top down in the middle of nowhere, and it is safe, etc.... it's worth it. YES, I know it's never going to be safe on a public road traveled by other people.

Foosh (06-17-2016)
Old 06-17-2016, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Nati
You would have a good time with a GoPro and a windshield mount. They have a neat time lapse feature or you could do something similar with video editing software. You just need plenty of memory cards and the 12V car power adapter.
That time lapse feature broke a computer of mine in 2012. I had a train trip from Paris to Marseilles, and the sheer amount of photos to move into the lapse just hung up the machine. Hope it's easier now. I actually also bring a literal HD time lapse camera, too... so there's that! =)

Old 06-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
...and there it is!

The Feds are serious about these drones. They pose a serious threat to individual privacy, personal safety and national security. Other than that, they're harmless play toys.
tl;dr - returned the drone
-----

They're way more serious about the drones than I am, apparently. LIKE WAY MORE. I did register for $5. Also, I am 100% convinced that auto-follow drones, where the tech has to fail instead of the pilot, will cut out a huge % of accidents, etc.

But when I got that thing... which *may* have fit in the trunk, BTW....

yeah. I have no interest in learning things I don't want to learn. "Auto-follow" was alluring enough of a marketing term to help remove any awareness I should have had about "YOU NEED TO LEARN THIS THING AND DO THIS THING RIGHT". The set up alone was a nightmare. No way. I didn't even take it out of the box.... 1st the battery and leads, charging restrictions, very short amount of fly time for charge, calibration stuff, etc. No way.

Couple all that learning curve and "dedication to the new hobby" one needs to commit with the two simple facts:

1) it's hard to find a wide open space to really use it. I've got those, too... so this wasn't the reason I returned it. It's really the reason I almost kept it.

2) The FAA could ground them all with a moments notice, and frankly, they may and should. These things should be corporate and commercial and play fair with all the other sky machines.

3) It's not a hobby. It's a culture. I didn't want a culture. I don't have any to begin with, and I'm already too limited in time with the cultures I've adopted. Lenny Bruce had a joke "Communism may be okay but I just don't have time for all the meetings". I like Groucho's classic line, that also fits:

"PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT PEOPLE LIKE ME AS A MEMBER".

So anyhoo.. there's an update you didn't want or need. But there it is.

Old 10-03-2016, 09:42 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

This looks like a great option - it adds a button to the steering wheel for quick start/stop recording.
The Waylens Horizon is a dashcam for the driving enthusiast | Ars Technica

The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
Mbourne (10-03-2016), Uncle Fishbits (10-03-2016), Unhingd (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
This looks like a great option - it adds a button to the steering wheel for quick start/stop recording.
I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to remember this, copy/paste and educate us. I would have totally missed that. It's fantastic. Thank you.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
It arrived. The packaging is stellar. Will keep you posted on the install. VERY exciting.