F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 08:13 AM
Banned
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I live in central CT and daily mine "year round" (only had it for 2 months so far). I had an RS5 before which I daily'd as well. These last two cars are the only ones I've ever had that were the only cars I owned at the time...I've always had 2...one usually being a truck. I put winter performance tires on and they're fine. I wouldn't purposely go drive in 6 in of snow, but that's more because I don't have to (I can and do regularly work from home), and because the only issue would ever be ground clearance, not traction. AWD 'sports cars' with winter tires are surprisingly (or maybe not so) good in the slick. They're low and planted and modern AWD systems are magical. The snow/ice/rain setting is great. The PPF is easy to clean too. I will be ceramic coating the whole car in the spring, though.

The following users liked this post:
F-Toype (01-15-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drive mine year round except in the snow or ice, the last thing I need is one of our local cowboys to take slick roads as an opportunity to see just what his tricked out Silverado can do. I save the SUV for that. Also, driving the Jaguar makes me happy and who can't do with more of that?

Old 01-15-2018, 08:25 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Daily driver here in South Louisiana!

Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?-jag-front-.jpg

Last edited by Don1954; 01-15-2018 at 09:25 AM. Reason: Adding photo.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 AM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RWD & AWD

Daily driven, put over 36,000 miles on each.

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?-jaguar-f-type-r-003.jpg   Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?-2016-awd.jpg  
Old 01-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Daily driver. Bought mine to drive and enjoy.

Have no intention of leaving it sit in the garage, with a cover over it to take out only for special occasions, nice days or to look at, etc.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:49 PM
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I live in Winnipeg, MB, and currently with windchill it is -40 C. Drive the car all year round, and actually look forward to driving it in the snow! If the snow is too deep to get clearance, I will use the truck, but we plow pretty quickly, so not many days I have to leave her parked...

Threw on a set of Nokian Hakkapellita's in 245 all around, and it is an absolute blast! Definitely one of my favorite AWD platforms I have ever winter driven in. No other car was rear wheel centric, and this makes it extremely fun to get around and have fun

DuhCar (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 04:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Breaker841
I live in Winnipeg, MB, and currently with windchill it is -40 C. Drive the car all year round, and actually look forward to driving it in the snow! If the snow is too deep to get clearance, I will use the truck, but we plow pretty quickly, so not many days I have to leave her parked...

Threw on a set of Nokian Hakkapellita's in 245 all around, and it is an absolute blast! Definitely one of my favorite AWD platforms I have ever winter driven in. No other car was rear wheel centric, and this makes it extremely fun to get around and have fun
The worst part about the -40s and -50s is how fast an engine cools off after parking somewhere. (Besides losing feeling in your fingers and toes in about 5 sec ❄️) I went with Continental DWS 06 in oem 19in sizes. So far the they work wonderful as well in the snow.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Nope; I can't imagine driving a 500hp RWD car with little ground clearance around here in the winter.....wouldn't be going far! The F type sits from Nov. 1st to May 1st and I drive my 4x4 truck or GLC43 AMG.

Dave

Old 01-16-2018, 01:59 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I wish I could. But I live in Quebec, Canada and we have been getting pummeled with snow. Just not worth driving this in the winter with these conditions. Wish I was in bay area.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad to hear all the responses! I no longer feel silly doing it myself.

So for all of you daily drivers... how do you take care of the exterior? Do you take it through an automatic car wash or are you washing it yourself every weekend or something else?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,127 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
Glad to hear all the responses! I no longer feel silly doing it myself.

So for all of you daily drivers... how do you take care of the exterior? Do you take it through an automatic car wash or are you washing it yourself every weekend or something else?
Automatic car wash!
Go and wash your mouth out!
No self respecting F-Type owner would ever take their P&J through such an abomination.
I clean my F-Type on average once a week, although it doesn't get anywhere near as dirty as those in the northern hemisphere (pretty much zero mud or slush where I drive).
I use a waterless wash method which I won't bother to detail (no pun intended, honest!) as there are heaps of cleaning/detailing threads already.
On the rare occasion the car gets very dirty I take it to a self-serve car wash where where I use just the high-pressure soap spray to remove the worst of the muck, followed by the spot-free rinse spray, then I take it back to my garage and give it the waterless wash method.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Automatic car wash!
Go and wash your mouth out!
No self respecting F-Type owner would ever take their P&J through such an abomination.
I clean my F-Type on average once a week, although it doesn't get anywhere near as dirty as those in the northern hemisphere (pretty much zero mud or slush where I drive).
I use a waterless wash method which I won't bother to detail (no pun intended, honest!) as there are heaps of cleaning/detailing threads already.
On the rare occasion the car gets very dirty I take it to a self-serve car wash where where I use just the high-pressure soap spray to remove the worst of the muck, followed by the spot-free rinse spray, then I take it back to my garage and give it the waterless wash method.
Well, I have a few problems with washing it myself. One is the climate - it's pretty cold to be out with water splashing everywhere. Two is my own time - I've got three young kiddos, which doesn't lend itself very well to spending time on washing the car every weekend. Three is that I am on well water and it's fairly hard so it leaves bad water spots.

I haven't ever tried a self-serve station - most of them around where I'm at are in rather terrible shape and don't really give me a good feeling about taking my car there. And I feel like the dirt won't come off without some scrubbing anyway. Maybe I'm wrong about that though!

I'm open to options, I'm just having trouble finding something that works as well for me as an automatic car wash!

Old 01-17-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Vali
I wish I could. But I live in Quebec, Canada and we have been getting pummeled with snow... Wish I was in bay area.
Or even better (for a number of reasons perhaps) in Victoria, British Columbia. 11 degrees C. today and the daffodils are coming up. You can drive your Jag (every and any Jag) all year long, and I do.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by approx
..... how do I edit my signature to put my car info there? I looked around in profile setup and didn't see the option for it anywhere...
Looks like you already have. I can see 2016 F-Type S MT as your forum Signature in our Moderator Control Panel.

If you are using the mobile forum version, it will not display in your posts.

Graham

Old 01-31-2018, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

I'm a daily. I know I've put this everywhere, but I work in hospitality, so I'm off to my office or a hotel most days, and drive it 400 miles round trip some days. I've done 4000+ mile road trips, as well as a few 1000 mile trips.

Northern California doesn't really get weather, so there's that. I doubt I would drive it up over Grant's Pass to Willamette Valley wine country, no up to Tahoe.

Anyone take their RWD through the snow?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 PM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default AWD S

DD in Minneapolis. Remote start is fantastic - but it IS missing activation of heated seats!!

MF 007 (02-28-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've only owned my SVR for a few weeks but have been and will be my daily driver here in NJ. The weather this year has been mostly ice but temps in the 30's and 20's. The iConnect remote start and temp setting is amazing! So far the AWD has proven incredible but if we get any serious snow I'll probably use the Sequoia baby hauler instead for a day or two.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by njmadgenius
I've only owned my SVR for a few weeks but have been and will be my daily driver here in NJ. The weather this year has been mostly ice but temps in the 30's and 20's. The iConnect remote start and temp setting is amazing! So far the AWD has proven incredible but if we get any serious snow I'll probably use the Sequoia baby hauler instead for a day or two.
What area of New Jersey? I just picked up a V6S RWD up here in Bergen county.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:19 PM
Default RWD V6S daily driver in NJ

Just picked up a V6S RWD a little over a week ago as a daily driver. No issues I just park it farther than usual and go easy on the throttle when the weather is bad. Wouldn’t drive it in deep snow as I don’t have winter tires yet but have driven in small flurries.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

It only snows here about once or twice a year but rarely stays longer than a few days so yes, I drive her year round. See a recent pic here

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?-wp_20180118_004.jpg   Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?-wp_20180118_002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Does anyone else daily drive the F-Type year-round?