Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreaded soundkilling software patch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts
Default Dreaded soundkilling software patch

Hi, while Jag deny it, I am sure that they applied the soundkilling software patch to my car last service. It seems quieter at low revs and sounds almost like a turbo rather than supercharged, pops and crackles largely gone on overrun in normal mode. I described the sound to the mechanics as being "like a fart after eating indian" if that helps. On the upside, dynamic now sounds like normal used to, and I do have the VAP exhaust which was stupidly loud before and is now more mildly offensive, also the drone I used to get at about 110kph has largely gone.

My performance guys say that mechanically everything is working as it should, the VAP tune is fine, the exhaust valves are functioning well. They reckon trying to go backward on the firmware is risky because it could end up compromising the CPU and lead to a total failure, and I am better off to live with it (which I suppose I can do, I will just use dynamic mode more).

Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this? I can recall mention that you have to go back to original tune and then put the VAP tune on afterward, but my guys are saying that could end up in disaster.

Old 03-26-2024, 05:36 AM
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

I feel your pain.

TRULY !

Test drove a beautiful firense red/oyster 2023 450 with 450 miles on it in December.

The old man who bought it new had difficulty getting in and out, so he traded it in for a JLR SUV

When they rolled it out I fell in love and said to myself, UH OH, I'm gonna trade up from my P300 TODAY !

I'm gonna drive it home, no question !

Drove it with the windows down.

Sounded way better than mine at idle, and oh boy, the low end torque..... she's a beast.............but on the road it was surprisingly, SURPRISINGLY, no it was SHOCKINGLY QUIET.

I left the JLR dealership that day with a totally new appreciation of my 2 liter with the Ragazzon exhaust !

Seems that JAG management is completely out of touch with the consumer/buyer AT ALL LEVELS !

They need not kill off the ICE, they need to kill off all levels of management, get rid of the green contingent that has infected the company, a green contingent that wants to remake the brand into something it isn't and hire REAL automotive marketing people who can and will advise design, engineering and production as to WHAT to build that will SELL.

Why the company would tone down, de-testostorone the F-Type AND RETROACTIVELY APPLY THAT SAME PHILOSOPHY TO PREVIOUSLY RELEASED AND SOLD SPORTS CARS IS AN ABOMONATION TO WHAT THE BRAND WAS, AND SHOULD BE.

A corporate greenie decision to modify private property WITHOUT THE OWNERS CONSENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that my friends, explains the trouble they have created for themselves which, without the changes mentioned above, will leave Jaguar a NAMEPLATE ONLY brand.

Sorry about our luck.

BEST !

RWS

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Hi, while Jag deny it, I am sure that they applied the soundkilling software patch to my car last service. It seems quieter at low revs and sounds almost like a turbo rather than supercharged, pops and crackles largely gone on overrun in normal mode. I described the sound to the mechanics as being "like a fart after eating indian" if that helps. On the upside, dynamic now sounds like normal used to, and I do have the VAP exhaust which was stupidly loud before and is now more mildly offensive, also the drone I used to get at about 110kph has largely gone.

My performance guys say that mechanically everything is working as it should, the VAP tune is fine, the exhaust valves are functioning well. They reckon trying to go backward on the firmware is risky because it could end up compromising the CPU and lead to a total failure, and I am better off to live with it (which I suppose I can do, I will just use dynamic mode more).

Can anyone tell me if there is a fix for this? I can recall mention that you have to go back to original tune and then put the VAP tune on afterward, but my guys are saying that could end up in disaster.
Can VAP modify the tune for more noise on over run? Since it's just software I would think so?

Old 03-26-2024, 06:46 AM
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Did you try pulling the fuse?

Old 03-26-2024, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Bruce (Peter), WTF are you doing going to a dealership for a routine service when the car is way out of warranty?
Or was it something other than a routine service?

scm (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 07:11 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderjet Racing
Seems that JAG management is completely out of touch with the consumer/buyer AT ALL LEVELS !
But not, alas, with regulators and governments.

Thunderjet Racing (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 02:12 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,069 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Perhaps they reset something so that your dynamic mode and active exhaust have to learn again? Many of us found it initially took awhile for the exhaust to wake up. Hope it wasn’t something like the old k309 update.

Old 03-26-2024, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Bruce (Peter), WTF are you doing going to a dealership for a routine service when the car is way out of warranty?
Or was it something other than a routine service?
ahhhh, it is much more convenient to my work than my performance guys and I get the free roadside protection extended if I go there. But lesson learned.
cpq100 - havent tried pulling the fuse, would that be the same as putting it in dynamic all the time?
Sovande - good idea, I will float that with them
DJS - I dont think so, it was about October last year that it happened and I noticed it within a week or so, but it is kind of one of those things that was annoying but not critical.

I am kind of resigned to just putting the car in dynamic whenever I drive it. Actually getting rid of the drone at cruising speed is the silver lining, but I would put up with the drone any day to get the aggressive sound back in normal mode.

Old 03-26-2024, 03:06 PM
Received 126 Likes on 96 Posts

Pulling the fuse should make it louder at lower revs than using Dynamic Mode. Maybe too loud?

Old 03-26-2024, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

ahhhh, it is much more convenient to my work than my performance guys and I get the free roadside protection extended if I go there. But lesson learned.
cpq100 - havent tried pulling the fuse, would that be the same as putting it in dynamic all the time?
Sovande - good idea, I will float that with them
DJS - I dont think so, it was about October last year that it happened and I noticed it within a week or so, but it is kind of one of those things that was annoying but not critical.

I am kind of resigned to just putting the car in dynamic whenever I drive it. Actually getting rid of the drone at cruising speed is the silver lining, but I would put up with the drone any day to get the aggressive sound back in normal mode.
Some of us never not drive it in dynamic. (And your rant is felt throughout this forum!). Way back when I went the VAP route to get back at least some of the glorious snap crackle and, especially, pops!

The following 2 users liked this post by RickyJay52:
BruceTheQuail (03-26-2024), Ichi Ban (04-03-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cpq100
Pulling the fuse should make it louder at lower revs than using Dynamic Mode. Maybe too loud?
Yeah I'm fiddling with it at the moment, it is good to be able to switch backward and forward, with the VAP exhaust it is very loud in dynamic, and bassy. If I had the stock exhaust that'd be the trick for sure.

Old 03-26-2024, 04:26 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
Perhaps they reset something so that your dynamic mode and active exhaust have to learn again? Many of us found it initially took awhile for the exhaust to wake up. Hope it wasn’t something like the old k309 update.
When I had an update done to my car I found that all the configurable dynamic settings had been reset to "off" (i.e not dynamic). Worth having a quick check?

The following 2 users liked this post by scm:
BruceTheQuail (03-26-2024), Sovande (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 12:22 PM
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts

Loss of warranty is always a concern with the VAP.......

BEST !

RWS

Old 03-27-2024, 01:27 PM
Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

This seems like a good place to ask a question I've wondered about. Has Jag tuned out the pops and crackles because they were what was blowing out the cats?

Old 03-27-2024, 01:40 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Michael211
Has Jag tuned out the pops and crackles because they were what was blowing out the cats?
Maybe. But also because regulators tightened up the noise limits?

Old 03-27-2024, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

My understanding was the "dreaded" update reduced the pops and crackles, but I don't see how it would affect drone. I'm always in dynamic, configured the way I want it, although that means less with the 6MT. I do switch the exhaust to quieter when I'm cruising on the freeway. Maybe the operation of the valves in the muffler was changed with another update I don't know about, or maybe all the learning was reset and it needs to again be taught to be a hooligan.

Old 03-27-2024, 02:17 PM
Received 395 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael211
This seems like a good place to ask a question I've wondered about. Has Jag tuned out the pops and crackles because they were what was blowing out the cats?
It was a combination of premature cat failure and stricter sound requirements, especially in the European and UK markets. I believe in the UK JLT was required to apply the patch to any car they touched to meet the noise regs. Obviously if the car never goes to a dealer or if the owner can convince the dealer not to do it then it wouldn’t happen. But the default was apply the patch so they could meet the requirement. The bonus for JLR was extended cat life.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
My understanding was the "dreaded" update reduced the pops and crackles, but I don't see how it would affect drone. I'm always in dynamic, configured the way I want it, although that means less with the 6MT. I do switch the exhaust to quieter when I'm cruising on the freeway. Maybe the operation of the valves in the muffler was changed with another update I don't know about, or maybe all the learning was reset and it needs to again be taught to be a hooligan.
The overall sound has definitely changed, not just the pops and crackles. The performance guys thought it would be valves as well but everything is checking out. It is now 5 months post the change, probably only 3000km done on the car but it isnt getting any better. Dynamic is still too loud to drive in all the time, with the VAP touring exhaust. You couldnt talk on the phone in the the car if it is in dynamic. I'll keep monitoring it, it still sounds good, but not as raspy.

Just saying that, the raspiness usually comes from cats or x pipe, doesnt it?