F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of the Manual Transmission....at least for now!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
All the true decision makers for the married Simps want an SUV. That would be the Simp's wife.

My friend owns a VW and Mazda dealership and the sales team there knows when a husband and wife come in focus 99% on an SUV and talk about how safe it is - the wife is the decision maker always, the husband is merely the wallet.

A guy comes in alone, unmarried, then they work their way to the sporty cars and models.

The last thing a wife wants is her husband having fun, let alone driving around a flashy car. This is general speaking of course, but mostly true. There may be a Unicorn or two out there but very rare.

It is also the reason Porsche would be bankrupt if they sold just two door sports cars like back in the day. They adapted to the reality of a female-controlled consumer base.
Thank you for this post. Underscores how fortunate I am for having found my better half for many reasons, one of which is that she’s never ask for anything with more than 2 doors or larger than a MINI Cooper.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I learned early on to buy cars on weekends when she was out of town.

The following users liked this post:
Noshame (11-16-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

I have never allowed SWMBO (and I've had a few) to have an influence or even a minor say on which car I buy, it has always been 100% my decision.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
...the wife is the decision maker always, the husband is merely the wallet.
Some Patriarchy there, right?

Old 11-16-2018, 10:23 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

here is an article that compares other sports cars sales.

https://carbuzz.com/features/outstan...y-wants-to-buy

in comparison, F-Type is doing just as well as the others.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,788 Likes on 12,163 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Thank you for this post. Underscores how fortunate I am for having found my better half for many reasons, one of which is that she’s never ask for anything with more than 2 doors or larger than a MINI Cooper.
Originally Posted by OzXFR
I have never allowed SWMBO (and I've had a few) to have an influence or even a minor say on which car I buy, it has always been 100% my decision.
Whew! Pleased to see these replies. I was beginning to think I was some kind of neanderthal.

Never once discussed vehicle purchase with my wife in 38 years of marriage.

Graham

Old 11-16-2018, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Whew! Pleased to see these replies. I was beginning to think I was some kind of neanderthal.

Graham
Don’t get me wrong. If she wanted anything other than a two door MINI she would’ve gotten it.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:06 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

I never discuss car purchases with my wife, always better to ask for forgiveness that to ask permission. When I get " The Look" I just respond "You never ask me about your Purses/Jewelry/Clothes/Shoes/Furniture etc.etc." Chose one

The following 2 users liked this post by zach05855:
Mbourne (11-16-2018), Michael2000 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 05:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zach05855
I never discuss car purchases with my wife, always better to ask for forgiveness that to ask permission. When I get " The Look" I just respond "You never ask me about your Purses/Jewelry/Clothes/Shoes/Furniture etc.etc." Chose one
Yes, but that strategy does not work well in a resource limited environment.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I must have picked well......of course I did....mine doesn't tell me what to buy and has even negotiated many of the deals for me....I love it as she gets great deals and I get to play the "bemused husband". She also loves sports cars even though she does have an SUV. She like the FTYPE but she also wants a Boxster S because I got the FTYPE. Not that she is getting the Porsche anytime soon but I will at least appreciate the fact that she wants a sports car instead of another SUV.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

The SWMBOs in my life have relinquished the MBO mantle through decisions of their own. I contend they may not have made the best decisions, but they were theirs to make. In any case, I now get to make my own decisions, however questionable they may be. The F-Type was one of many of those decisions. There are aspects of the manual transmission I can find fault with, but I enjoy driving it.

If the replacement car is all-electric, I hope it follows the path of the iPace. When I drove one I was surprised at the driving pleasure to be found in it. I plan on keeping the manual transmission dinosaur-burner though, even though it's not full caveman.

Old 11-17-2018, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Wify and I have what I think is a good agreement. I deceid what kind of car I want, and she deceid what kind of car she wants. As she is a bit more "carefull" with spendings than I am (at least regarding cars), that works very well

Old 11-17-2018, 08:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Initially, we discussed car purchases and ended up with a compromises that did not fully satisfy either of us. Instead, we now discuss budgets. I approximate how much I am going to spend on cars next year, she checks it against our overall budget to make sure it is a feasible number, and then I can spend it in any way I want to. If I spend it all on blowers and carburetors, then it is what it is. The reverse is also true - I have a say in budgeting her expenditures. Additionally, we have emergency veto power (yet to be used) that can be used as a "line item" blocker.

Michael2000 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 07:50 PM
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I’ve been lucky. My wife enjoys sports cars and the whole car community experience. We’ve meet some wonderful people and been on quite a few trips with previous car clubs. The last two cars I’ve purchased(c7 vette and v8s f type) I’ve included her in the process. But she has always just solidified the decision. Once she goes for a test drive she is usually sold. She especially loves the F type, and drives it when I haven’t monopolized it. The only condition is that we get her an r8 one day in the future. That’s a win win right there.

Old 03-22-2019, 06:31 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It's a bummer to hear about the manual transmission being discontinued. I would not own an F-Type if it wasn't for the manual transmission being offered. To my friends who ask why I would buy a manual transmission car when an automatic can perform the same or better, I have a simple reply. I ask them if they're going to enjoy driving just as much when cars are able to steer, brake and accelerate themselves faster than you're able to. That almost always turns on the light of understanding. If they still don't understand, they're not a person who enjoys driving anyway.

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that genuinely wants me to be happy. She knew when we got married that I enjoy driving and have a couple of hobbies that are not inexpensive. It has never been a problem. A couple of month after we had our first child, I bought a Honda S2000. My close friends thought it was great, but some people seemed to be genuinely disturbed by it. It's like they thought that not having a car with a back seat was somehow disrespecting my wife or not being a proper father. The fact that I had purchased her a nicer SUV than she even wanted didn't seem to matter. I think that many of them were jealous, but they wouldn't admit it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Bret_T:
scm (03-22-2019), tberg (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael2000

Bad news, indeed. I guess the forum will have to remove this icon
Aw hell naw! Some of us still know that that third pedal is for (and enjoy being able to be told by the valet to go ahead and park where we want)

Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Does anyone know what improvements were made to the R model chassis that MaineJagMike posted in the thread starter and if said improvements can be made to existing R's as an upgrade?

Old 03-24-2019, 12:40 PM
Received 72 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Does anyone know what improvements were made to the R model chassis that MaineJagMike posted in the thread starter and if said improvements can be made to existing R's as an upgrade?
Vince, here you have it:

F-TYPE R is receiving an enhanced chassis sourced from the F-TYPE SVR. The vehicle damping has been
reduced by 24% at the lower damping velocities (up to 0.3m/s) while overall capacity is increased by up to
30%. To further enhance F-TYPE R capability, the vehicle is also receiving the SVR rear upper ball joint
with modifications to the rear knuckle and upper control arm.

You'd likely be better off with aftermarket enhancements than trying to fit these bits to your car.

Mike

jaguny (03-24-2019)