Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESE Carbon Fiber Wheel group buy

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts
Default ESE Carbon Fiber Wheel group buy

Gents -

I have some feedback from the folks at ESE. I must say that I'm not blown away at their first "discount" they offered us. But I'll take it as a jumping off point

So far, I think there are 3 of us that expressed pretty high interest in this. Buying 3 sets "today" they would do a set for $7300 if not "today" $7500. Felt like I was buying a Honda. I'm completely throwing out the $7500 number. So let's focus on $7300.

I'm sure that number comes down with 1) us pressuring them and/or 2) we can find another 1 or 2 buyers.

Normal prices is $8000. This would be for all 4 wheels in basically whatever size / offset we want.

So I ask a few questions.

1) Let's get a list of guys are are genuinely serious.
2) A price point we feel good at.
3) If 1 & 2 are met are we ready to move somewhat quickly since there's already ~8 week lead time.
4) Do we all want the same specs, different, etc.

Obviously 1-3 are most important.

OK..have at it.
https://esecarbon.com/

Old 03-15-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Check out this poll thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...wheels-159506/

We are trying to identify the best available options. Unfortunately, the ESEs aren't the most attractive, but may well be the least expensive. I have also identified where we can get $1000 discount certificates for $500, bringing the cost of the $2000 ESE wheels to $1500 each. I need to verify the validity of these certificates.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-15-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:30 PM

Oh damn, sorry man! How'd I miss your thread :/ Perhaps we can merge or something...

Agreed on them not being the *most* attractive (although I'm not at all upset by them), I would be more into a better deal if we're talking a big difference in $.

Price aside, I def like option 4 the best on your list.

That discount cert might be the difference. I'm excited.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Philly Single
Oh damn, sorry man! How'd I miss your thread :/ Perhaps we can merge or something...

Agreed on them not being the *most* attractive (although I'm not at all upset by them), I would be more into a better deal if we're talking a big difference in $.

Price aside, I def like option 4 the best on your list.

That discount cert might be the difference. I'm excited.
No problem at all. It just means that more than one of us is fixating on this issue. Unfortunately, the certificates I found are just for the ESE wheels. I'd rather pay a bit more for something that isn't just functional. Given the expressed preferences by everyone, I'll focus on option 4.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM

Sounds good, a bit more I'm good with - depends on what you consider "a bit"

We'll keep the ESE with certificates as the back up at this point.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default ESE CF Wheel update

OK...more than 2 years later and they still haven't delivered their first commercial wheel. I pity the folks that placed 50% down more than 3 years ago when ESE first started to take orders. When I recently spoke with the Sales Manager, and revealed my concern with laying out to a start-up company $4800 for a product not yet in production , the deposit miraculously fell to $1000. Hmmmm...buyer beware! I am now looking elsewhere.

Old 05-07-2018, 02:54 AM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Another reason why the only wheels I would ever consider buying are made by either BBS, Volk, or HRE.

Old 05-07-2018, 03:40 AM
Veteran Member

I too would prefer to go with one of those, but unfortunately, none of them have state of the art full CF wheels. The two companies with proven technology are Koenigsegg and Carbon Revolutions. With Koenigsegg, you have to buy the car to get the wheels and CR does not offer a wheel in our bolt pattern. There are other companies I haven't heard of before, and probably fit into the same category of financial and technical uncertainty as ESE. I don't mind being an early adopter/tester on the technology, but not interested in gambling on financial start-up success when there's no potential to capitalize on the financial upside.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I too would prefer to go with one of those, but unfortunately, none of them have state of the art full CF wheels. The two companies with proven technology are Koenigsegg and Carbon Revolutions. With Koenigsegg, you have to buy the car to get the wheels and CR does not offer a wheel in our bolt pattern. There are other companies I haven't heard of before, and probably fit into the same category of financial and technical uncertainty as ESE. I don't mind being an early adopter/tester on the technology, but not interested in gambling on financial start-up success when there's no potential to capitalize on the financial upside.
If I read this correctly ESE also does not have a product even two years later. Numerous companies have attempted (and failed) to deliver TRUE CF wheels over the years. The one good thing is that CF tech is coming down in price each year so perhaps one day they will be affordable (e.g. under $1K/wheel) at which point more people will be able to afford them

Last edited by ndabunka; 05-07-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ndabunka
If I read this correctly ESE also does not have a product even two years later. Numerous companies have attempted (and failed) to deliver TRUE CF wheels over the years. The one good thing is that CF tech is coming down in price each year so perhaps one day they will be affordable (e.g. under $1K/wheel) at which point more people will be able to afford them
It is unlikely that you will ever see them for a price less than forged wheels. The low incremental cost of production relies on capital intensive equipment and on producing production run quantities of the exact same wheel. Based on my conversation with both ESE and CR, they are focusing on OEM deals where that can happen. The aftermarket business is going to take another several years.

Regarding ESE, they have been taking orders since the beginning of 2015. Even then they were estimating a 4 month delivery time. Not a single set has yet been delivered and the estimated delivery is still 4 months out. Draw your own conclusions.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
ndabunka (05-07-2018), Some guy (09-21-2019)
Old 05-08-2018, 11:27 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Aren’t these Carbon Revolution wheels on the Pikes Peak F-Type?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...pe-pikes-peak/

The following users liked this post:
Unhingd (05-09-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 01:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Aren’t these Carbon Revolution wheels on the Pikes Peak F-Type?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...pe-pikes-peak/
Sure looks like it. Thanks, I'll give them a call in the morning.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member

I spoke with Don Law this morning and he confirmed they are CR wheels. That car isn't actually his , but a car that was developed by Jag SVO running with his drivers. The wheels were specially developed by CR for SVO and Don was thinking that they were considering putting the wheel into production for SVO purposes (maybe the GT4?). He has offered to contact the head of CR to get the real story on whether it is possible for us to gain access to this wheel. I will keep you posted.

Old 05-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

I spoke with Don Law this morning and he confirmed they are CR wheels. That car isn't actually his , but a car that was developed by Jag SVO running with his drivers. The wheels were specially developed by CR for SVO and Don was thinking that they were considering putting the wheel into production for SVO purposes (maybe the GT4?). He has offered to contact the head of CR to get the real story on whether it is possible for us to gain access to this wheel. I will keep you posted.
I contacted CR about this subject over a year ago, and at that time they had no interest in making wheels for this market. Maybe things have changed?

Old 05-09-2018, 11:56 AM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I doubt they will put these on the GT4...they looks like 20"s!!! I think GT4 cars will run a an 18" BBS style wheel but I guess it's still worth a shot for a 18" or a 19" wheel from CR!

Old 05-09-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen

I contacted CR about this subject over a year ago, and at that time they had no interest in making wheels for this market. Maybe things have changed?
I don't think they have since the CR rep I spoke to a couple days ago disavowed any ability to fabricate a CF wheel with a 108mm bolt circle. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the anomaly seen on that Pikes Peak F-type. Hell, I'd be willing to buy those exact wheels even if they have already been race abused.

Old 05-09-2018, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

I don't think they have since the CR rep I spoke to a couple days ago disavowed any ability to fabricate a CF wheel with a 108mm bolt circle. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of the anomaly seen on that Pikes Peak F-type. Hell, I'd be willing to buy those exact wheels even if they have already been race abused.
They could have just been CF dipped, for looks, rather than ACTUAL carbon fiber formed so a normal steel or forged wheel simply with a CF wrap

Old 05-10-2018, 12:17 AM
SVR
Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

It's more likely that they've fitted different hubs and it's no longer 5x108...

Old 05-10-2018, 12:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

From what I can see on their web site Carbon Revolution are an Oz based company and the wheels are made in Oz.
I have fired off a query to them via their web-based form, I will let you know what they say.

Last edited by OzXFR; 05-10-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,114 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Bad news.
Here is the reply I received from CR:

"Thank you for your inquiry and interest in our products.
Yes, Carbon Revolution wheels are manufactured in Australia. We have had a number of F-Type owners reach out for a fitment for their cars. Unfortunately, we do not offer wheels that are suitable for that vehicle. Due to the unique methods used to manufacture carbon fiber wheels it is not possible to produce custom “one off” or low volume wheel sets to order. The engineering and tooling costs make this impractical. I am sorry that we cannot assist you with your request. I will add your information to our files and contact you if something should become available.

Michael Belcher
Director of Aftermarket Sales
Carbon Revolution USA
7251 W. Lake Mead Blvd.
Suite 300
Las Vegas, NV 89128
Main: 888 905-8825
Direct: 702 267-6990
www.carbonrev.com"

Quick Reply: ESE Carbon Fiber Wheel group buy