F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Brakes - Why so cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Default F-Type Brakes - Why so cheap?

Been looking to pick up an F-Type Coupe for some fun on the track, and have been completely mystified by the cheap brakes that are even on most SVRs? It appears as though maybe one in 50 cars has the carbon brake option, and that the even the SVR wasn't fitted with a base fixed caliper & steel disc as standard equipment. Does Jaguar realize that they are killing the credibility of the car with performance users (or even cars and coffee users!) by painting "regular" floating calipers red in an attempt to look fast!
I will keep looking, but my chances of finding an acceptable car are greatly reduced because of this.

...ugh

Old 03-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Regular floating caliper works just fine on the track for me.

The following users liked this post:
Norfolk Enchants (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by SinF
Regular floating caliper works just fine on the track for me.
I'm sure that in reality they do, SinF, I mean it's not like I'm going to drive it on the edge or anything like that! It's just that their appearance doesn't inspire confidence, and I really don't want to park myself next to (likely every other car at a track day) that will have them, and open myself up to all the derisory comments that will inevitably come. I am probably being too vain, but hey, this stuff matters with performance cars, right!?

Old 03-16-2019, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I understand your feeling on the brakes because I feel the same way. We should have opposed piston calipers instead of sliding yoke. Seriously, JLR puts them on SUVs so they have them in the parts bin already.

That said, the Super Performance brakes work quite well and have rotors the size (and weight) of manhole covers. When I upgraded the rotors to vented/drilled/slotted 2-piece ones I looked at the calipers more closely. They're nowhere near as heavy as I thought they'd be because the largest bracket is alloy.

The Carbon/Ceramic brakes are rare because they were quite an expensive add-on. I think they were $10-12K when I ordered, and not available to me because I insisted on a manual transmission.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:44 AM

Wow, Lizzardo, you couldn't get CCB because you chose a manual, that makes even less sense! Anyway, does sound like you're happier with the Super Performance brakes once you've had a good look at them, so that is good to know.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I would only get an F-Type with the CCB’s. While YES the standard brakes work fine. I don’t track and never will likely. They are impressive and I like the way the look and make a statement about such a beautiful car. I can afford it and it makes me happy. That is all I need. CCB cars are hard to find. When I found my car and showed the Mrs’s her FIRST words were “look at those brakes wow” what else do you need.

Norfolk Enchants (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I actually didn't seriously consider the CCB package because of the cost. It was only later I heard that it wasn't available for MT cars. In actual use, my gripes about the Super Performance brakes are largely from the pads. The stock pads are a little grabby at low speed/light pedal. I prefer a little harder pedal feel. The other issue is dust. They dust the wheels badly enough to make a BMW owner cringe.

They definitely stop the car though, with power and control.

I haven't tracked yet, so can't compare the stock pad/rotor combination with the replacement 2-piece rotors and Porterfield pads in that environment. In daily driving I only notice that in heavy rain the Porterfields need a little extra effort for the first stop. Light rain, or once the brakes have a little heat, I don't see any difference. Oh, and the slotted/drilled/suncut rotors look pretty spiffy, if that matters

Old 03-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I....Oh, and the slotted/drilled/suncut rotors look pretty spiffy, if that matters

it does indeed, it does indeed

Old 03-16-2019, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk Enchants
Wow, Lizzardo, you couldn't get CCB because you chose a manual, that makes even less sense! Anyway, does sound like you're happier with the Super Performance brakes once you've had a good look at them, so that is good to know.
I certainly would have opted for the CCB's had they been available with the MT, but like Lizzardo, quite happy with the Super performance calipers and 2pc. vented/slotted/drilled/sunburst rotors that reduce the weight to that of the CCBs. The major benefit is the substantially lower maintenance cost.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:40 PM
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Part # T2R11418 is a little on the high side for CCB. 2 Bleeder Screws $66.00. Unreal.

Old 03-16-2019, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by usgpru27
Part # T2R11418 is a little on the high side for CCB. 2 Bleeder Screws $66.00. Unreal.
Car looks awesome...and your wife was right, look at those brakes!

Old 03-16-2019, 05:44 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by Norfolk Enchants
It's just that their appearance doesn't inspire confidence, and I really don't want to park myself next to (likely every other car at a track day) that will have them, and open myself up to all the derisory comments that will inevitably come.
Anyone complaining about your brakes will be doing it to try to distract people from being jealous of the gorgeous looks of the car.

Carbuff2 (03-16-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 09:01 PM
Received 114 Likes on 79 Posts

Studied an fpace svr today. Entirely new front calipers. They look to be a four piston. Dealer pulled parts up for me and list is 900.00 per caliper. Rotor is a different cut than other jag rotors. Would think they should make this the caliper standard for non CCB svr ftypes but who knows..

Old 03-17-2019, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Stwsam
Studied an fpace svr today. Entirely new front calipers. They look to be a four piston. Dealer pulled parts up for me and list is 900.00 per caliper. Rotor is a different cut than other jag rotors. Would think they should make this the caliper standard for non CCB svr ftypes but who knows..
Interesting, do you have any pics by chance?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I certainly would have opted for the CCB's had they been available with the MT, but like Lizzardo, quite happy with the Super performance calipers
I am happy with my bigger calipers as well, and would not have ordered CCB as it is just too expensive for what you get out of it. There are better ways to spend $12K. Also keep in mind that CCB isn't a one-time costs, as any brake service would result in a 5-figure bill.

Old 03-17-2019, 01:25 PM

Will try to get pics with a wheel off tomorrow

Old 03-17-2019, 01:37 PM

They are fixed caliper brakes that I reference, but without the carbon. I have not seen these and did not know that they were available with a steel disc. I would still prefer the carbon or a two-piece disc, but would be happy with these. Thanks, good to know. Should increase my options.

Do you know if these available as an option on the R too?

Edit: I just noticed that your comments and pics are F-Pace not F-Type....ugh

Last edited by Norfolk Enchants; 03-17-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Are those 380mm rotors?
Are the rear calipers the same as on the R?

Old 03-17-2019, 01:45 PM

Here are the, completely misplaced IMO, brakes that I have seen in the SVRs. I am guessing that there is 3 brake options, floating caliper, fixed caliper steel disc, and fixed calliper carbon disc?

Old 03-17-2019, 02:04 PM

Sorry, if forgot to photograph rears. will do, either today or tomorrow.
Here are part numbers I got from my dealer from the SVR vin
LH FRONT Caliper T4A32800 list $900.00 each us dealer
RH FRONT J9C16858 list $900.00 us dealer

ROTORS T4A16878

I will work on getting part numbers for rear equipment and dust shields.

below are specs from brochure, so they look larger
base wheel on SVR is 21" with 22" option
specs say rotors are two piece. They do not look two piece with the wheel on. Note the rear rotors are listed larger than front.
I cannot tell with wheels on.

Left to me, I am pretty sure these are brembo calipers, they look like their mould pattern, but I am making an uneducated guess!

BRAKES Front type4-piston aluminium monobloc fixed caliper, vented 2-piece discFront diameter (mm)395
Rear type ingle piston sliding caliper, vented 2-piece disc 396(MM)
Rear diameter (mm)396Park brakeiEPB

XJ8JR (05-09-2019)

Quick Reply: F-Type Brakes - Why so cheap?